• 3 Post By HydroHarold
  • 2 Post By Bill Berger

Thread: New IRS Scam

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks

New IRS Scam

Got a phone call; the Caller I.D. said it was from a pay phone. Thinking it might be someone needing help (assuming you could even find a pay phone these days), I answered it. It was a robo-call from someone claiming to be from the IRS. I was told they were filing a lawsuit against me, and if I wanted to get things straightened out, I needed to call a certain number (which they gave me). Of course I didn't call it, but I was curious as to what their game was. My accountant files for me electronically, so conceivably they might highjack anything I have coming back (which probably won't be much). I have no doubt it was a scam, but not sure what they were after, but who knows, if they get a lot of your personal info.
    BigJim55 and Swampfox like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2LaneCruzer For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (02-11-2015), Levi (02-12-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-23-2015 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks
    If I were you, I would copy the phone numbers and give them to the local FBI and IRS offices. Those folks who collect our cash take a very dim view of others horning in on their game!
    Seriously though, these crooks prey on the elderly and gullible and need to be stopped. I might call the local TV station and let them know about it as well... they might pass it along to the public and prevent some other member of your community from being scammed --- just like you did for THIS community!
    -- Daniel
    1025r... shiny new and green!

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    I've been getting a similar call, not from the IRS, but the "lawyer's office" they have been robo calling everyday for a week. They are going to sue me in my local circuit court if I don't call them. It's an electronic voice. I started to just hang up, now I set the phone down until they get off the line. I figure it's one or two less people they can try to scam.

I'm sure that if I bought a Green Dot card and gave them money they would just keep calling. I wish it was a real person calling so I could at least say KMA. I've been named in plenty of lawsuits, this ain't how we do it.
    Levi likes this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    I've been getting a similar call, not from the IRS, but the "lawyer's office" they have been robo calling everyday for a week. They are going to sue me in my local circuit court if I don't call them. It's an electronic voice. I started to just hang up, now I set the phone down until they get off the line. I figure it's one or two less people they can try to scam.

I'm sure that if I bought a Green Dot card and gave them money they would just keep calling. I wish it was a real person calling so I could at least say KMA. I've been named in plenty of lawsuits, this ain't how we do it.
    Yeah, I was Supervising attorney for the Air Quality Division of the Department of Environmental Quality for 18 years...in addition to other things...so I know what you mean.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    I got the same call on my voicemail last August. I've thought about locating a pay phone and returning the call just to see what happens. Had my identity hacked from my employer last year. Someone claimed me on their taxes as a dependent (probably because I'm old) and got some money out of the IRS. I contacted the IRS to verify my tax return, they flagged it and had me fill out some forms and this year issued a PIN to include on my taxes. There must be money in this type of scam (or it's a lawyer trying to generate business). Also had email from a Prince in Nigeria yesterday. I could get rich.
    2006 JD 2520, 200cx loader, 62d mower, ballast box, 54" snowblower, 3 pt. quick hitch, 5' box blade, 1948 Ford 8n, dirt scoop, 6' Dearborn blade, 2 bottom Dearborn plow, Jinwa 6" 3 pt. wood chipper, MacBook Pro, and other toys

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    It's just another sign of the times. The IRS is so busy working to scam every different angle from honest people and businesses that they simply don't care to investigate or stop the "privateer scammers". I guess there's plenty to go around from the IRS's point of view. I can't believe this nonesense can't be stopped in this so called "computer age". Let the druggies have all they want and put the narc police on a project that will really pay off, "Antiscam". It will stop PIA phone/internet scams and reduce the druggie population all at the same time. Win-win.
    farmgirl19, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    We had the same exact "IRS" phone call last night at 8:32 p.m., just as I was getting ready for bed.
    I have the phone number saved and I will send it in an e-mail to our State Attorney Generals' Office today.
    The I.R.S. must love poor folks, they create more and more every day.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts

scams

the irs scam has been going on around here about two months now, the first one to pay was a small trucking firm with about 3 trucks, said he missed his quartly payment and he sent them money, 2 weeks later the real IRS called and wanted money. the attornty general of brooklny new York says some one is sueing me and to call them back right away, now the first time I didn't know they was from new York, until I looked up the area code. so I called no back and got a recording I told them they picked the wrong person to try and screw over for their pay check, and I would be giving this no. to the local police nobody called since. Our local TV station is running a tv commercial about the IRS scammers and for other scams.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim 55 View Post
    the irs scam has been going on around here about two months now, the first one to pay was a small trucking firm with about 3 trucks, said he missed his quartly payment and he sent them money, 2 weeks later the real IRS called and wanted money. the attornty general of brooklny new York says some one is sueing me and to call them back right away, now the first time I didn't know they was from new York, until I looked up the area code. so I called no back and got a recording I told them they picked the wrong person to try and screw over for their pay check, and I would be giving this no. to the local police nobody called since. Our local TV station is running a tv commercial about the IRS scammers and for other scams.
    This scam has made the TV news around here. I'm on the no call list, just renewed it a month or so back. All these calls, we just tell them we're on the list and they hang up, if it's a real person on the phone that is.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements