Preparing for Winter, what special Winter Preparations do you make?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Preparing for Winter, what special Winter Preparations do you make?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts

Preparing for Winter, what special Winter Preparations do you make?

I thought we could show any special preparations which we may make getting ready for winter. Maybe with the ideas shared, we can help one another with something we might not have thought of or be doing presently.

My Un-Stick' em Tool Box

Years ago, I started carrying a special "Recovery Kit" in my wife's Ford Expedition. We are in a heavy lake effect snow area and are prone to heavy snow, very poor visibility and poor road conditions. We live out in the country and off the dead end of a county road. Often, our county road is one of the last to be plowed.

These all add up to someone being stuck in the ditch, or surprisingly, sometimes right in the road. When the conditions are poor, they often pull the plow trucks off the road. Last winter and the two prior winters, this means finding someone stuck and in need of help. In such conditions, it can take hours to get a tow truck out to help. So, while we often stay off the roads in such poor condition's, I do want to be able to help someone get back on their way if I can.

In the old days when I drove a Jeep CJ-7 and I was young and adventurous, we would go out driving around looking for people to help. Now, it's more in case I encounter them and I have encountered someone stuck at least once in each of the last several winters.

Here are the contents of the rescue kit. I have a 30' tow strap, 2" hitch ball mounts and the hitch receiver pins, the smaller ball mount used on many small SUV's and the hitch pin for that sized hitch. I also have a 2" square receiver hook, which is great for putting in the hitch of the Expedition and using it to pull with.

The 2" ball mount hook works well and its a fast way and SAFE WAY to put the strap on a stuck vehicle. Attach the strap to the ball mount using a clevis through the hitch ball mounting hole. Slide the ball mount into their receiver and secure it with the hitch pin. Once they are pulled out, simply pull the pin from their receiver and slide out the ball mount with the clevis attached and the strap on it.

Much of the winter, I will have the 2" square receiver ball mount with the strap attached to it with the clevis stored in the box that way. Then, I simply have to slide the ball mount into their hitch, secure it with the pin, extract them and then pull the pin and ball mount and get on our way.

The small ball mount with the curve in it is for the vehicles which use the 1.25" class 2 hitches, which are often used to mount bike carriers, etc. As long as the hitch is mounted correctly, it should serve as a strong enough tow point. Its certainly better than getting under the front bumper cover, etc.

I also have different types of clevises for hooking to various tow points.

Generally, when I have encountered someone stuck, often the vehicle has a hitch on it. People tend to stick their vehicles nose first, which leaves the rear to pull from. If their vehicle has a hitch, which many do, then I insert the appropriate ball mount into their receiver and use the hook in my vehicle. I use a clevis through the ball mount in their vehicle so the strap stays on.

I have pulled out guys with plow trucks who got them hung up one way or another. Last winter, I pulled out one 3/4 ton pickup with my 1025R and another similar plow truck was so buried, I had to get the Expedition to pull it out. Both trucks were plowing in our area, the one I pulled out with my tractor was in our neighborhood plowing a neighbors driveway (hey wait, that means he is competition to my plowing......I should have left him stuck.... that would "learn him" for playing in my pool of customers....) He was so anxious to get going, he paid me $60 so he could keep plowing....

One woman got stuck 3 times in about 100 yards last winter in the middle of the road due to drifts and finally I told her once I got her out, to let me lead and to follow in my tracks. That worked......

All of this is kept in the heavy duty DeWalt tool box in the back of the SUV. While Mrs. Bear keeps her truck locked at all times when out, the box weighs 88 pounds when full so few are going to grab it and take off with it.

Here is everything packed neatly into the toolbox and ready to close the tool box. I add a pair of the leather work gloves to the top of the box so I don't wreck my ""nice leather gloves" when I have to handle the contents of the box and clear snow with my hands, etc.

If I need to pull something with my tractor, I also have everything all together in one location, instead of searching to find the different pieces. I used this kit to pull out shrubs this summer with the tractor and it was very handy..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181012_120117133.jpg IMG_20181012_120224025.jpg

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 2,550 Posts
    Sully, our "BALLDOG" could get rid of some of the hitches in your box:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BallDog+ (Small).JPG BallDog Flyer.JPG
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike†(10-14-2018), JD4044M†(10-14-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Thanks
    You're probably more prepared than most, Sully!

When my Jeep was my daily driver in the winter, I always kept extra gloves in it as well as an extra jacket of some sort. Always had a recovery strap in there (along with shackles on my bumpers) and there is a permanently mounted winch up front. Not too worried about getting stuck as I had pretty much everything needed to unstick myself.

Now that my SuperDuty is my daily driver (although I still have the Jeep - just need to put it up for sale since I'm not driving it), I do keep some stuff in the tool box in the bed. Sometime next week it's going in for new tires and a tune-up. I'll keep the same stuff in it... just in case. Of course, it doesn't have the winch.

When the weather is nasty, I generally take Sweetie into work so I don't have to worry about her. Her cars are usually nicer and newer than what I drive , so if one of them is going to end up in an accident of some sort, I'd rather it be mine. Since I work from home, i don't have to worry too much about going out in any sort of mess. But I do have to keep the sidewalks and driveway clear. Thank goodness for my snowblower and my tractor. Shoveling snow is not a healthy activity for old fat guys like me!

Be safe out there! Winter is on its way!
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 7 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Iíd have to pull my winter emergency box out of the truck and take an inventory. Iíve added so much to it over the years I have no idea all what is in there.

Towing gear for both the front and rear of the truck along with tow straps and chains. This is more for helping someone else out of the ditch. Around here you donít just drive by someone in the ditch. Very remote roads with little traffic and no cell service.

Also a set of winter clothing. When I drive anywhere I am not dressed to walk in the cold and snow. If I get stuck it may entail walking out.

Also the makings for a fire. Dry newspaper and kindling along with matches. If I break down and donít have engine heat a fire will be needed. Of course along with that a small buck saw.

I have a large tote that is full - and heavy. It stays in my truck at all times.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    This is the perfect piece of hardware to have. I keep a hitch insert in my box with a clevis for pulling. But if the truck in the ditch doesn't have anything - or a hitch with a ball - it can be used on that end also. Just me however - I can't justify the cost for something that is going to stay in my truck box and likely never be used.
    Kennyd, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Kennyd†(10-13-2018)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. Truth be known, I keep the ball mounts with different size balls on them in the toolbox so I know where they are when I need them......Just like the 7 way to 4 way plug adapter.......My SUV doesn't have a hitch so anything towed is with the Bosses truck........

I avoid using the ball mounts with the balls already on them for recovery because as one knows , you have to keep your balls properly lubed to reduce wear and tear when towing....We have all been in a gas station or similar and heard the person pulling into or out of the parking lot and the hitch ball is groaning and grinding because of the lack of grease. There is even a little container of the Reese hitch ball lube in the kit, I just didn't show it in the photo.

Once the hitch balls have that lube on them, you sure don't want to put a strap over it as the strap will get all slimed up with no way to clean it and the strap will pop right off the ball with the slightest angle put on it......means the lube is working like it should.

Do you have a Ball Dog plus that will fit into the 1.25" receiver? Though the one used least, its also the one which requires a special hitch pin, special sized clevis due to the small hole for the hitch ball, etc......That would eliminate several things if you have one.

So, since I am responding to YOU on this topic, perhaps you can answer a question for me......Why does the very first letter I type in a text box often end up at the very bottom of the box all by itself, like the "T" below?

T
    Levi, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 2,550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Do you have a Ball Dog plus that will fit into the 1.25" receiver? Though the one used least, its also the one which requires a special hitch pin, special sized clevis due to the small hole for the hitch ball, etc......That would eliminate several things if you have one.
    No, but I'll have to look into that since most small crossover vehicles now have those. Thanks for the idea

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post

So, since I am responding to YOU on this topic, perhaps you can answer a question for me......Why does the very first letter I type in a text box often end up at the very bottom of the box all by itself, like the "T" below?

T
    I have NO idea what would cause that Sully, not sure I've seen that happen to anyone else?
    Levi, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I spend quite a bit of time on the forest roads, some times by myself. I carry a heavy duty come along, a couple of tow straps, a couple of chains because a strap is often to long to get to an anchor point for the com a long to work. I also keep a few shackles, a shovel , a jack and tire chains , and a chain saw in the truck.

If all else fails a cell phone can bring in help. Getting a signal can be an issue, so being prepared to hike out is always a good idea. The next time I get stuck wonít be the first time and probably wonít be the last.
    ColonyPark, PaDave, pappa and 8 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    You're probably more prepared than most, Sully!

When my Jeep was my daily driver in the winter, I always kept extra gloves in it as well as an extra jacket of some sort. Always had a recovery strap in there (along with shackles on my bumpers) and there is a permanently mounted winch up front. Not too worried about getting stuck as I had pretty much everything needed to unstick myself.

Now that my SuperDuty is my daily driver (although I still have the Jeep - just need to put it up for sale since I'm not driving it), I do keep some stuff in the tool box in the bed. Sometime next week it's going in for new tires and a tune-up. I'll keep the same stuff in it... just in case. Of course, it doesn't have the winch.

When the weather is nasty, I generally take Sweetie into work so I don't have to worry about her. Her cars are usually nicer and newer than what I drive , so if one of them is going to end up in an accident of some sort, I'd rather it be mine. Since I work from home, i don't have to worry too much about going out in any sort of mess. But I do have to keep the sidewalks and driveway clear. Thank goodness for my snowblower and my tractor. Shoveling snow is not a healthy activity for old fat guys like me!

Be safe out there! Winter is on its way!
    Your not "fat", as tractor guys, we are "Well ballasted".....

See, this way, if Mrs. Bear gets her truck stuck, then the stuff to help get it out are already in her truck.....Don't tell her I said that...

Like you, we work from home and when the weather is bad and the roads rough, we usually just stay home. But one storm last winter, we were running out of shell corn for the critters and my wife is ALWAYS worried about the critters. So we ventured out to get 600 pounds of shell corn to hold us over for a week......(yes, up to 100 pounds per day.....I know.......but it's what SHE insists be done......)

I had her call the store before we left to make sure they were there as its a mom and pop old time "Mill" and they have some rough open roads to travel to get to their store. They were just getting ready to close early, but they waited for us. I told him what we were coming for so they had it all at the loading dock ready to go when we arrived.

This old time Mill also always loads your purchases into your vehicle, which is nice as I don't feel guilty about sending Mrs. Bear out to pick up 10 or 12 of the corn bags......Otherwise, she would insist on struggling to load them herself.......and they weigh about half of what she does......Same with the 5 gallon water bottles. She insists on carrying them. I tell her we can get the 2.5 gallon size, but NO, "I can do it" is what I hear.....

This is such an old time Farm Mill, they still have "house charge accounts" and they put your purchases on a ticket and send you a bill once a month. I usually will just send them a check after I pick up whatever, if I don't have a check with me when I am there. I don't want them to have to carry me for the month. This couple is getting up there in age and I fear the day they retire as it will be the end of an era.

All of the corn I pick up is put in these really nice fiber mesh bags which are very tough and they are tied shut with a small piece of string on each bag. I always roll up the empty bags and return them and even the little twine ties as there is no point in throwing them away, it's just wasteful. For every 10 empty bags I return, he gives me a free full bag of corn as he can reuse the bags and it saves him about $1.00 per bag. I hate wasting and throwing away perfectly good stuff.....

I told the owner one day he really should watch the young guys he has bagging the corn as I weighed every 50 pound bag on our shipping scale at home (which is very accurate) and the average 50lb bag he was selling weighed nearly 57 pounds......The lightest was 54 pounds and the bag empty only weighs about 5 ounces with the little piece of twine.

Of course, I weighed the corn bags from TSC and another store Family Farm and Home (the mill closes at noon on Saturday and isn't open on Monday's in the winter) and the bags from TSC and the other store, most weighed exactly 50 pounds, including the bag......Some were 49.89 pounds. None were over 50 pounds, including the bag weight....so much for "Net weight".....

Another pesky lonesome first letter at the bottom of the page.......(see below)

S
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    No, but I'll have to look into that since most small crossover vehicles now have those. Thanks for the idea

I have NO idea what would cause that Sully, not sure I've seen that happen to anyone else?
    Normally, the letter at the bottom, which is the first one typed, is missing from the first word and I always correct it in the preview before posting. I have seen it in other's posts as well........If they don't spell check or preview, the first word will be missing that letter, which ends up in the lower left corner.....I always correct it so it doesn't appear "eyes kant spell nuthin".......

1025R with Mauser Cab

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast