Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Signs of Winter?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Thanks

Signs of Winter?

Do you guys look for signs of winter, as in how bad or mild winter might be. I kinda do, as Iíve heard of several ways or myths on what winter may bring. Farmers almanac was watched by my Grandpa and I remember my Dad saying a few things that would indicate what type of winter it will be. Does anybody else believe anything indicators?

>Today I saw a Wooly Worm, which my Dad would say The wider the brown strip(see pic). The milder the winter.
    > Lots of Acorns meet and snowy winter
    > Squirrels tails bushy meet a hard snowy winter.
    >I watch a guy in the Upper Peninsula that does private forecasts and he does a prediction every year (see pic). He admits,
    and donít put a whole lot of weight on it but does one every fall.
    > Horses and Cattle with heavy coats mean hard winter.

I would say strip on Worm is wide.
    Everything else I see here would indicate a average or hard winter. Lots of acorns this year. Cattle are starting heavy coats already, John Dee states average winter in his prediction.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3E46DEA7-200F-4B1B-874D-732A2E55D257.jpeg A8A7DF50-FA11-4412-A390-7BA79ED8C36E.jpeg
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,433 Posts
    I find the Farmers Almanac is surprisingly accurate considering how far out it is published and how long they have been doing it.

Our squirrels have been working overtime gathering nuts. They have post it notes plastered all over the place.......

Since our weather this year has been more extreme, I am expecting a hard winter. We have had record amounts of rain and if that precipitation trend continues, it will mean a lot of lake effect snow for us. We had 4 different rain storms this year where we received 5" of rain or more in the storm and that's unusual. One of the storms, we received nearly 8" of rain in about 18 hours.

We have also had a cooler summer for the most part and if that trend continues, it bodes well for lake effect snow. Prevailing westerly winds over the lake waters is a snow machine. I think there are only a hand full of times in my life where Lake Michigan has frozen all the way across and when that happens, the snow amounts suddenly come to a halt. Otherwise, the warmer waters in the lake will generally increase snowfall amounts.

We didn't have any measurable snow until December 12th last winter and very little after Mid February, but in the meantime, we had enough snow that I plowed 45 times from Mid December to Mid February and that's a period of a little more than 60 days. I don't plow unless there is new snowfall of 3" to 4" or drifts of 10" or more with bare ground spots as many newer cars will get stuck in the drifts that deep because of the snow being packed so tight with the winds.

We had this happen 4 different times this summer, between May and August, and this is normally a corn field. In 20 years, I have see this field flooded probably 6 to 8 times and 4 of them were this summer........Based upon that weather extreme, I am expecting more snowfall than normal. I hope we get the snow we had last year, except it continues beyond mid February, perhaps into late March would be good for snow plowing business.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180621_202033384.jpg IMG_20180621_202028212.jpg
    HydroHarold and jdmich like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmich View Post
    Do you guys look for signs of winter, as in how bad or mild winter might be. I kinda do, as Iíve heard of several ways or myths on what winter may bring. Farmers almanac was watched by my Grandpa and I remember my Dad saying a few things that would indicate what type of winter it will be. Does anybody else believe anything indicators?

>Today I saw a Wooly Worm, which my Dad would say The wider the brown strip(see pic). The milder the winter.
    > Lots of Acorns meet and snowy winter
    > Squirrels tails bushy meet a hard snowy winter.
    >I watch a guy in the Upper Peninsula that does private forecasts and he does a prediction every year (see pic). He admits,
    and donít put a whole lot of weight on it but does one every fall.
    > Horses and Cattle with heavy coats mean hard winter.

I would say strip on Worm is wide.
    Everything else I see here would indicate a average or hard winter. Lots of acorns this year. Cattle are starting heavy coats already, John Dee states average winter in his prediction.

Thoughts?
    Long range forecasts based on actual metrological data are more crapshoot than not.

The idea that caterpillar stripes (acorns, horse hair) are a predictor of the weather is as much nonsense as hemlines being a predictor of the stock market.

Current PNA+ and ENSO+ make it probable for a warmer than average winter in the west and northeast.

As Yogi Berra said: If you have a 50/50 chance of being right, 9 times out of 10 you'll be wrong.

Al

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    Long range forecasts based on actual metrological data are more crapshoot than not.

The idea that caterpillar stripes (acorns, horse hair) are a predictor of the weather is as much nonsense as hemlines being a predictor of the stock market.

Current PNA+ and ENSO+ make it probable for a warmer than average winter in the west and northeast.

As Yogi Berra said: If you have a 50/50 chance of being right, 9 times out of 10 you'll be wrong.

Al
    Thanks....but let me say and make it clear. I don’t put a lot off faith in any of these just though it is fun to look at all the Mother Nature things that may show some insight. I also think of my elders that tought me so much and makes me giggle thinking of all the old sayings and wise tales of my Dad and Grandpa. With that I ALWAYS wish for a snowy winter and I guess it’s my urge to get my hopes up.

P.S. I’ll know more in late March
    Last edited by jdmich; 10-19-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling&add
    Thanks Bob

JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdmich For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow†(10-19-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks
    Just listen to the weather man... if he / she says warm and sunny... get the plows ready!

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Thanks

Signs of a Long, Cold, Winter

It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a Chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets.

When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "We're sure it's going to be cold because the Indians are collecting firewood like crazy!"
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow†(10-20-2018), BigJim55†(10-20-2018), HVACguy†(10-22-2018), HydroHarold†(10-22-2018)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a Chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets.

When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "We're sure it's going to be cold because the Indians are collecting firewood like crazy!"
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Thanks Bob

JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    SQUIRRELS

We have a Chestnut tree that we collect the nuts from for a few friends. Normally I have a little bit of competition from the squirrels but if I get out there near day break I can usually beat them to it.

Until this year. They attacked the tree earlier than usual. The first two weeks the nuts started falling I went out at day break and managed to get a bucket full in two weeks (~10 lbs). That was it. After that there were 3-4 squirrels working that tree from sun up to sun down. They didn't even wait for the nuts to fall. They would climb the tree and hang from the ends of the limbs like a Christmas ornament and grab the spiny hulls while they were still green.

They did this for weeks. I went out every morning at day break and there were plenty of empty hulls but not a single nut. I would guess that so far I have cleaned up about 200 lbs worth of empty hulls and yet have not found a single nut. By this time last year I would have had another 20-25 lbs. of nuts. We now find empty hulls around every tree in the yard and most of the trees in the neighbors yards. Again, we have never seen the squirrels carry the hulls so far away before.

I've never seen the squirrels do this before. Maybe they know something about the upcoming winter.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    SQUIRRELS

We have a Chestnut tree that we collect the nuts from for a few friends. Normally I have a little bit of competition from the squirrels but if I get out there near day break I can usually beat them to it.

Until this year. They attacked the tree earlier than usual. The first two weeks the nuts started falling I went out at day break and managed to get a bucket full in two weeks (~10 lbs). That was it. After that there were 3-4 squirrels working that tree from sun up to sun down. They didn't even wait for the nuts to fall. They would climb the tree and hang from the ends of the limbs like a Christmas ornament and grab the spiny hulls while they were still green.

They did this for weeks. I went out every morning at day break and there were plenty of empty hulls but not a single nut. I would guess that so far I have cleaned up about 200 lbs worth of empty hulls and yet have not found a single nut. By this time last year I would have had another 20-25 lbs. of nuts. We now find empty hulls around every tree in the yard and most of the trees in the neighbors yards. Again, we have never seen the squirrels carry the hulls so far away before.

I've never seen the squirrels do this before. Maybe they know something about the upcoming winter.
    Well, your wooley worm is very pessimistic. The one I saw was black at the tip and light brown the rest of the way down his body. I like his prediction. Mild all the way to spring.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    I like this guy.

Geared towards my neck of the woods (upstate NY), but he's an actual meteorologist and his explanations of global weather patterns and what they mean in the short term (10 days out) are pretty spot on.

To be clear, I want snow. Lots of it.

Al
    HydroHarold, BigJim55 and jdmich like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast