• 2 Post By Jeff B

Thread: LandPro Equipment acquires Valley Ag & Turf

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts

LandPro Equipment acquires Valley Ag & Turf

Anyone familiar with LandPro Equipment? I've been dealing with Valley Ag & Turf here in central PA ever since I became a JD customer. I see LandPro currently has 20 locations. I guess this is another case of a big dealer absorbing a little dealer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LandPro.jpg  
    ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Never heard of them until Empire Farm Days, they were one of the three dealers representing John Deere there. I thought the sales people were kind of snobby but them I remembered I had a Cazenovia Equipment hat on.
    ColonyPark, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 640 Posts
    LandPro bought out Lakeland Equipment's six stores here in the west-central part of New York last year.

I used to buy parts and fluids from a Lakeland store, as they were willing to offer a decent discount to make my travel time worthwhile. After they were bought by LandPro, store management changed.

When my brother was trying to buy his 4044R last spring, this same LandPro location was one of the stores we shopped hard. When all the dickering was done, LandPro was several thousand dollars higher than Cazenovia Equipment, a closer dealer. I truly believe that if the store was still owned by Lakeland at the time, they would have offered a much more competitive price.

I've only dealt with the one LandPro location and my experience may have been better at a different store. That said, I don't necessarily think that bigger is better when talking about dealer networks. If their only competition is their own network, what incentive is there to have the best prices? It's likely they have quicker access to certain parts and equipment than a smaller operation, but if I'm not in a hurry, price usually drives my purchases.
    ColonyPark, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Our little independent local dealership went through one acquisition and two name changes in the last 10 years to result in where they now find themselves. Overall, having the local store part of a 16 store operation has been very positive. Their equipment inventory improved (dramatically), their depth of parts staff and parts inventory improved and they went from a 10,000 sq foot facility to one about 50,000 sq feet. The dealership moved from being 17 miles away from my home to less than 3 miles away (as the crow flies) and about 7 miles by road.

I can't honestly think of one thing which is negative or a step backwards for the customers. I shopped my tractor deal against several other dealers outside of the dealership group, including Mutton's in Fort Wayne, Indiana, who has had a reputation for offering very competitive pricing. In the end, I get as good a deal as I could get at any other dealer. My dealership's service has been outstanding. In fact, I have become friends with my salesman and he and his family have been over to our home socially a couple of times in the past year.

The reality is Deere is pushing the dealers hard to consolidate. It won't be long and the days of the independent one or two store locations will be over.

Hopefully, the change to your dealership produces positive results for you as our local dealerships transition has turned out to be for me.
    ColonyPark, jgayman, Levi and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Don't know anything about any of these places...LandPro Equipment, Valley Ag & Turf.
    ColonyPark, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    jgayman--sorry to hear of ur jd dealer being eaten up. wife has bought off of valley turf for yrs at the parks she purchases for.

i even stopped in at the one on RT-15 a yr ago to see what gators and price they could give me. nice little store there.

sulleybear---i don't believe all of us can achieve as great of price for things at our dealers-like maybe what u have.

at least i couldn't with this gator--and i have bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them.

and to keep my business he the owner won't even drop $500 to keep me. now the little place where i bought my gator-said a big rep for jd out of texas was there the day i picked it up--they thought jd was gonna try and make them go big--but they didn't as the owner told me the next time i was there to get my snowplow on --it requires 3 million bucks to build a big enough new facility --and the owner told me no way they was going that route.
    ColonyPark, jgayman, Levi and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Anyone familiar with LandPro Equipment? I've been dealing with Valley Ag & Turf here in central PA ever since I became a JD customer. I see LandPro currently has 20 locations. I guess this is another case of a big dealer absorbing a little dealer.

I am very familiar with LandPro, they are my dealer. I believe they consider my location to be their base of operations/original dealership. I can say nothing but good things about them. They have gone above and beyond many times in my opinion. Honestly, the dealership building itself looks the same as it did when I bought my first machine 12 years ago, no new big fancy building. My salesman is now a manager and not selling anymore. They started out as Zahm & Matson with 2 locations. Then they expanded to 6 locations (I think) and became Z & M Ag and Turf. The LandPro name was new once they acquired a bunch of dealerships out near OxPath, maybe even only a year ago. My wife had LandPro's president's kids as students, just really down to earth people. When they took care of the short block replacement on my 1026R, I wanted to go up to the president's office to share my gratitude and compliment his staff. I inquired at the service counter and they told me where his office was and I just went up and knocked on the door. Very accessible and very "small town dealer". I hope you have as good of experiences as I have.
    bigbear, jgayman, PaDave and 3 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    -they thought jd was gonna try and make them go big--but they didn't as the owner told me the next time i was there to get my snowplow on --it requires 3 million bucks to build a big enough new facility --and the owner told me no way they was going that route.
    He might not, but someone will, which is why these consolidations are occurring. He will get an offer to be bought out sooner or later, as this is what Deere wants.

The larger dealers not only cost less money for Deere to deal with (fewer dealers when you have dealer groups with 10, 12, 15 or 20 or more store locations) but they also have more resources to attract and retain quality employees. Dealer groups with multiple locations often have more factory trained service technicians and they can afford to send more of their techs to Deere school.

Deere doesn't want their dealers to be selling Motorcycles and snowmobiles and those types of products. Deere wants every dealer to be a full line dealer with the ability and market to sell all of the products which Deere makes (except there is a distinction between the dealers who sell the specialty equipment like forestry, road construction, marine power, etc)

I have sold businesses I started to others who were in the industry and wanted to grow and expand when for some reason, I didn't. The small owners are faced with the reality that their business is a large part of their lifetime work and it's often a big part of their retirement. If they don't sell out, they really have to keep working or remain involved and sometimes, you just reach a point where the best thing for all involved is change.

The change of ownership doesn't have to be a negative experience. Both Jamie (Colony Park) and I are fortunate the have dealers who are owners and part of larger numbers of locations and he and I have had great experiences with the dealers before and after their purchase by a larger group.

Often, the changes at the store are really limited to the name on the sign out front. The good employees who made the business successful are definitely the ones which the new owners will want to keep and likely will.
    DRobinson likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (10-25-2018), J3 Driver (10-25-2018)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks
    Land Pro bought out my local dealer in Fairmont City past spring. Nothing changed, same friendly, dedicated employees. Looks like they have a larger inventory to drool over now.
    DRobinson and ColonyPark like this.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    I am very familiar with LandPro, they are my dealer. I believe they consider my location to be their base of operations/original dealership. I can say nothing but good things about them. They have gone above and beyond many times in my opinion. Honestly, the dealership building itself looks the same as it did when I bought my first machine 12 years ago, no new big fancy building. My salesman is now a manager and not selling anymore. They started out as Zahm & Matson with 2 locations. Then they expanded to 6 locations (I think) and became Z & M Ag and Turf. The LandPro name was new once they acquired a bunch of dealerships out near OxPath, maybe even only a year ago. My wife had LandPro's president's kids as students, just really down to earth people. When they took care of the short block replacement on my 1026R, I wanted to go up to the president's office to share my gratitude and compliment his staff. I inquired at the service counter and they told me where his office was and I just went up and knocked on the door. Very accessible and very "small town dealer". I hope you have as good of experiences as I have.
    I purchased from Z&M in PA and they gave me the best price by far in a 150 mile radius to my house.
    The salesman was very patient and knowledgeable.
    Thank God I have not had the need to have to rely on their service department. I don't know if they are good or bad, I just handled the few adjustments and services I have needed myself (knock on wood).
    DRobinson and ColonyPark like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements