Like Tree63Likes

Thread: The Power Is O U T !!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks

The Power Is O U T !!

Well, the ice storm was yesterday, the power stayed on,,
    today (at 6:00am) the wind knocked down a tree that took out two main feeders,,
    I guess we will be without power for a while,,,

I have propane gas logs,, and a propane stove,, we are good for heat,,

My $39 Harbor Freight inverter is powering the internet stuff perfectly,, and several LED room lamps,,

so,, I am good until we need water, or a couple hours go by, and the fridge needs run,,,

I may invest in another AGM battery and a larger inverter,, to power the fridge,,,

I hate running a generator for the little electricity that we need,,,

So, tell us your power outage story,,,
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Thanks
    We have a whole house generator. Too much beef in freezer and gets to cold here in the winter to chance a power outage for to long. We’ve been out 5 days a couple of times. Last ice storm was 2015 if I remember right and we were out 5 days then.
    We also have to have water for cattle also.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    We got 4 inches of the sleet/snow/freezing rain stuff up here in Front Royal. Power still on, no issues there.

Aren't LED light great, very low power consumption means you can run more or if you forget to turn off the lights in the basement or garage it's not gonna break the bank on your electric bill.

I have always told people that when the power goes out, if your electric needs are low, spend $50-100 bucks on an inverter for your car. That will keep all your stuff charged and with LEDs you can have lights. As you mentioned, why fire up the genny when you only need a few hundred watts of power.
    Gizmo2, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    If you think power will be out a while usually that happens in cold weather which means perishable food could be put outside in a box.
    We used to do that years ago, part of the roof is easy to get to from an upstairs window, food in large box with lid.
    Ever since I bought a large generator I've either never used it or by the time I get everything ready power is restored.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    CADplans and Robnik like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rw580 View Post
    As you mentioned, why fire up the genny when you only need a few hundred watts of power.
    I am amazed,, the 750 watt HF inverter has been running almost 3 hours,,
    and the cooling fan in the inverter has only come on twice,, each time for less than a minute,,

It is running the internet stuff, charging two laptops,, several LED lamps,

I plugged in a 9 inch fan about an hour ago,,, to try to move some heat further to the back of the house (from the gas logs)

Well,, that fan did not like the modified sine wave when on low speed,,
    I changed it to high speed, and the fan is running perfectly!!

I feel like Lisa on Green Acres,,,

Gizmo2, mark02tj, spferdil and 3 others like this.
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenhills1952 View Post
    If you think power will be out a while usually that happens in cold weather which means perishable food could be put outside in a box.

We used to do that years ago, part of the roof is easy to get to from an upstairs window, food in large box with lid.
    My mother told me about living in Pittsburgh in the 1930's,,,

They had a window that faced north,, in the winter, they had a "window fridge" that they would install.
    It would keep stuff cold all winter, no ice needed,,

Then they got the natural gas powered fridge,, it worked even when the electricity went out,,

Mom had the gas fridge removed in 1965,, and got a self-defrost electric fridge,,,
    the electricity bill went up 25%,, and the gas bill did not go down one cent,,,

Boy,, was mom mad about that,,,

That gas fridge was really cool,, underneath, there was a panel you could open,
    when the fridge needed to cool more, a small burner would come on, similar in size to a Bernzomatic propane torch,, but quiet,,,

The burner would run for a while,, and the fridge would be cool,,
    there was even several ice cube trays,,,
    I guess it was about a 12 cubic foot fridge,,,

Ahhhh,,, the "good" old days,,,
    2LaneCruzer, mark02tj and Robnik like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    First thing I did when I bought my house was install a whole home generator. I have yet to lose power since for a real test.

I hope you get your power back soon.
    CADplans and Robnik like this.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

1940 John Deere H with PTO, hand start.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    My mother told me about living in Pittsburgh in the 1930's,,,

They had a window that faced north,, in the winter, they had a "window fridge" that they would install.
    It would keep stuff cold all winter, no ice needed,,

Then they got the natural gas powered fridge,, it worked even when the electricity went out,,

Mom had the gas fridge removed in 1965,, and got a self-defrost electric fridge,,,
    the electricity bill went up 25%,, and the gas bill did not go down one cent,,,

Boy,, was mom mad about that,,,

That gas fridge was really cool,, underneath, there was a panel you could open,
    when the fridge needed to cool more, a small burner would come on, similar in size to a Bernzomatic propane torch,, but quiet,,,

The burner would run for a while,, and the fridge would be cool,,
    there was even several ice cube trays,,,
    I guess it was about a 12 cubic foot fridge,,,

Ahhhh,,, the "good" old days,,,

My Grandmother had a kerosene refrigerator; I believe it was a "Servell". My Mother cooked on a kerosene cook stove; still seems strange to me. Each burner had a round wick like in the old kerosene lamp; smokey, but it worked. Yeah, those were the days. Electricity, but no running water and therefore we heated our water on the stove and bathed in a wash tub. Outdoor facilities, including the water pump outside of the kitchen door.

We had a pot belly wood burning heating stove in the kitchen and a kerosene heating stove in the living room. Hitting that old cold linoleum floor in the morning was a real experience...as was dipping the ice crystals out of the water bucket!
    M
    tommyhawk and Robnik like this.
    Have wings, will travel.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Most folks seems to need a generator in the winter. I only need one in the summer to run the A/C.

In the winter we have a wood stove and 3 cord of wood stored. For light we have a couple Aladdin lamps. Water - our spring is literally 10 steps from the front porch.

Our power does off much more in the summer than winter. It can be as calm a day as can be and it will go off. Even though we are very rural the power company is great. The power will be off for either 2 hours or 24 hours it seems. It usually goes off on those stifling humid days hence the need for A/C.

I bought a cheap Champion 3500W generator a few years ago for around $400. I am surprised at how quiet it is. The generator sits on the front porch which is open and a 15’ generator cord running in through a window. 2 A/C units plugged unto that and one 20’ 12/3 cord run to the kitchen for the refrigerator. I alternate between the refrigerator and freezer if the power is out for a long time.

My biggest issue is notifying the power company of an outage. Our house is the only permanent residence on our line. There is no cell service and our internet is dependent on power. If the power goes out so does the internet as there are power boosters every mile on the cable line that power from the same power lines.

I have plans to wire in a proper generator setup to my breaker box. Just that there is always something else that is needed and have never been able to afford the setup.
    Robnik likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks

Power outages

We live literally almost at the end of a power line that has only one feed and no loop. If we have any weather, I'm always surprised if our power DOESN'T go out. I can usually even tell where the issue is as there are several stretches of the line that go through tall trees and usually a limb or a tree is on the line. Usually if we lose power it's for 3-4 hours unless a pole is broken. Then it's 3-4 for the first crew to come and realize they need a pole and pole setting truck and another 2-3 before the right equipment is on site.

What's the worst we've had? Hmmm, ice storm in 1994- we were out for I think 10 or 11 days. Hurricane Isabell- 12 days, other tropical storms- anywhere from a week to 10 days. The ice storm caused me to buy a portable generator, Isabell prompted a whole house unit.

The best line I remember was my wife talking to the power company, (Dominion Battery and Candle) after Isabell. The crew had been working in our area and left before we got power back. My wife calls and the person on the other end asked her if we were sure the power was out- did she flip a switch? I thought my wife was going to crawl through the phone and strangle someone but her reply was measured- "I'm looking a a power pole, wires and the transformer lying on the ground. I can flip a switch but I can tell you no matter how many times I flip that switch nothing is going to happen until they fix those wires." It took another day or so before we got power back. There are several of us in the little subdivision with whole house generators. I think we are the only ones who shut down the generator at night.

Treefarmer
    spferdil and Robnik like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast