Is it really necessary to have time change.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Is it really necessary to have time change.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

Is it really necessary to have time change.

What's the point in keeping up with this stupid time changes. A lot of states have done away with it. At one time it may have had some importance, but now?

Here are a few downsides to this stupid change

1) People tend to get off the streets earlier because of the darkness & stores lose sales
    2) Gives the muggers & thieves more time to rob & mug older people.
    3) When people do not shop, sales tax is lost in the community.
    4) Older people have a harder time when crossing roads

Benefits to the time change

1) I can't think of any.

Parents use to say their kids need it to avoid the morning darkness getting to school. Really. These are the same parent who are clueless as to where there kids are at midnight.

For me the time change in the fall stinks. It shortens my work time outdoors or makes it a lot more dangerous for me to do certain jobs like chain saw work, tractor field work, etc. Does anyone really benefit from this stupid twice a year ritual. And please don't tell me that you use this to change the batteries in your smoke/fire alarms or your wall clock. The battery ads are up there right with the stupid Hallmark greeting cards which have fallen off in sales for the past twenty years. If you need a reminder to change batteries or send a stupid greeting card to people you see often, then I suggest you write it down on your calendar. Just my own opinion here.

Does anyone remember Andy Rooney from the old 60 minutes show on Sunday evenings at 7p.m. I wonder what he would say about this stupid time stuff.
    Last edited by Maddog; 11-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    mark02tj and Herminator like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    So, as a life long Indiana resident, I can tell you from experience that the time change is worthless to anyone who doesnt play golf.

We used to ignore all the time change nonsense. Then, a few years back, our Governor got the bright idea to sign it into law. Now, it started before him, somewhere down the line.
    The whole thing was nonsense. They claimed at the time that it would benefit farmers as they would have more time to work in daylight. Obviously they dont know any farmers. None I know care if the sun is up or not. Work gets done regardless.

They said it would be easier for businesses in other States to do business with us. BS. Everyone knew what time it was here if they did business with us.
    Places still werent on the same time, and had to compensate. Some businesses were from out of the US. What do they do? They look it up, like normal people do and adjust their calls to fit when the businesses are open that they are doing business with, just like every other business everywhere else. It was a non-issue, just like the farmers.

Now that we have changed, almost everyone I know wants to go back to the old way.
    Oddly enough, several States have stopped doing it, just after we started.
    The time change is very bad for general heath and well being. You are forcing your body to change its habits twice a year, which adds stress to the initial adjustment period, both mental and physical, even if people dont think it effect them, it does. The Spring change is the worst for this.

As to school kids, I walked to school in the dark, in the Winter. My kids STILL wait for the bus in the dark, time change or no.
    As to longer time in the evening to work outside, I never had issues with this until the time change.
    I attribute this to the fact that it was a very gradual change, and we all adjusted slightly over time versus all at once.

Personally, Ill take no time change and our old time back, which is actually the current time right now.
    It worked before, from the beginning of the time zones until it was changed for little to no reason.
    This is just one more thing the government foisted upon us that has no real benefit.
    Did I mention I hate the time change?

My only other oddball solution to the whole thing is to move the clocks 30 minutes to the middle of the time change and never move them again.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 11-16-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    I like the fall time change. As an amateur astronomer, I like it getting dark early. And technically this is the "normal" time. It's "standard time." Daylight savings time is the anomaly, the adjustment for no good reason.

I would be fine with doing away with it, as long as standard time is the... uhh... standard.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    My only other oddball solution to the whole thing is to move the clocks 30 minutes to the middle of the time change and never move them again.
    Maybe not so oddball, Newfoundland (and I think some other places) is 30 minutes forward from EST and it seems to work.
    BigJim55, Robnik and Herminator like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    I dislike the time change either direction because it messes up my dogs stomach schedule for a couple weeks which messes up my schedule.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    My vote agrees with IndianaJim - move it ahead 30 minutes now and leave it that way forever basically splitting the difference.

However it’s done I want it to not change. Being I am no longer on a time schedule I basically rise and fall with the sun anyway.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    I say do away with it!!! Its stupid and Really messes up IT softwares and stayin up till 3:00 am es no bueno! stopping the software and hold data until the clocks get back that hour. Waste of time. Punn intended hahaa
    wildbranch2007 and Robnik like this.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    What's the point in keeping up with this stupid time changes. A lot of states have done away with it. At one time it may have had some importance, but now?

Here are a few downsides to this stupid change

1) People tend to get off the streets earlier because of the darkness & stores lose sales
    2) Gives the muggers & thieves more time to rob & mug older people.
    3) When people do not shop, sales tax is lost in the community.
    4) Older people have a harder time when crossing roads

Benefits to the time change

1) I can't think of any.

Parents use to say their kids need it to avoid the morning darkness getting to school. Really. These are the same parent who are clueless as to where there kids are at midnight.

For me the time change in the fall stinks. It shortens my work time outdoors or makes it a lot more dangerous for me to do certain jobs like chain saw work, tractor field work, etc. Does anyone really benefit from this stupid twice a year ritual. And please don't tell me that you use this to change the batteries in your smoke/fire alarms or your wall clock. The battery ads are up there right with the stupid Hallmark greeting cards which have fallen off in sales for the past twenty years. If you need a reminder to change batteries or send a stupid greeting card to people you see often, then I suggest you write it down on your calendar. Just my own opinion here.

Does anyone remember Andy Rooney from the old 60 minutes show on Sunday evenings at 7p.m. I wonder what he would say about this stupid time stuff.
    I can't tell for sure, but it seems that you may have "the time change" reversed from the actual change. We don't "change the time" in the fall for the kids to have more morning daylight... The fall time change is to revert back to the CORRECT time. The actual change of time happens in the Spring.

I seem to recall there being a lot of interest in changing the time PERMANENTLY to Daylight Saving Time (BTW - It's not Daylight Savings Time as shown on the reference article to Andy Rooney) as the reverting back to Standard Time for a few months in the winter doesn't seem to provide any real benefits. I know that I would be for keeping the Daylight Saving Time time year-round.
    Zebrafive likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    My vote agrees with IndianaJim - move it ahead 30 minutes now and leave it that way forever basically splitting the difference.

However it’s done I want it to not change. Being I am no longer on a time schedule I basically rise and fall with the sun anyway.
    Ditto
    Robnik likes this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast