Thanksgiving - Hosting or Visiting?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: Thanksgiving - Hosting or Visiting?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks

Thanksgiving - Hosting or Visiting?

We're hosting the Thanksgiving meal at our place this year. There'll be 10 adults feasting on a 23 lb. turkey and all the trimmings. We're eating late, about 17:30. I'd rather sit down around 14:00 or so, but that didn't accommodate all the guests.

This will be only the second year my bride prepared the Thanksgiving meal for our extended family. She did a great job last year and I don't expect this year will be any different. I always enjoyed the meal when hosted at my in-laws, but I kind of liked having it at my home. Of course, other than fetching the extra table leafs and spare chairs, I don't really do too much.

My bride spent the day yesterday in preparation. We have a couple pies on the stove-top and I saw some squash being cut and stripped which joined a refrigerator full of food. The turkey was in the kitchen sink thawing, but it's not there now and I have no idea where it went; in my shop maybe? I kept my distance from the kitchen and ate a couple corn-dogs for dinner, because I didn't dare say or do anything that would make me the target of any frustrations that might be present.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your day!
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pappa and 5 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    We normally go to my wife's sister's house. Their son has some health issues so this year we aren't getting together. The boys and I are going to work on the shop. Mother says she's whipping something together for dinner.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,867 Posts
    Happy Thanksgiving all.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    ... The boys and I are going to work on the shop. Mother says she's whipping something together for dinner.
    That's a good day! I'd trade you if I could.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    That's a good day! I'd trade you if I could.
    You could come help.

We'll feed ya, steak sandwiches on the grill for lunch.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    We're hosting the Thanksgiving meal at our place this year. There'll be 10 adults feasting on a 23 lb. turkey and all the trimmings. We're eating late, about 17:30. I'd rather sit down around 14:00 or so, but that didn't accommodate all the guests.

This will be only the second year my bride prepared the Thanksgiving meal for our extended family. She did a great job last year and I don't expect this year will be any different. I always enjoyed the meal when hosted at my in-laws, but I kind of liked having it at my home. Of course, other than fetching the extra table leafs and spare chairs, I don't really do too much.

My bride spent the day yesterday in preparation. We have a couple pies on the stove-top and I saw some squash being cut and stripped which joined a refrigerator full of food. The turkey was in the kitchen sink thawing, but it's not there now and I have no idea where it went; in my shop maybe? I kept my distance from the kitchen and ate a couple corn-dogs for dinner, because I didn't dare say or do anything that would make me the target of any frustrations that might be present.

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your day!
    And while OxPath is waiting he will put his post to music. It is descriptive and melodic. (I have no idea where those words came from in my basic vocabulary) Sing it out Ox.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, MDrew and 5 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,546 Posts
    Hosting , we have done so probably 16 out of the last 20 years.

Turkey, ham, gravy, home made noodles, mash potatoes, home grown green beans, home grown corn, rolls, and sure I'm missing at least 6 -10 items for main course.
    Deserts wife spent most of the day making 8 homemade pumpkin , 3 chocolate ,2 lemon and 2 coconut pies ,, and not sure what others will bring.

Younger brother and his wife, in-laws, daughter and her family , and nephew and his family for a total of 14 and who knows may be more, door is always open.
    Gizmo2, MDrew, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    We are hosting, the mother-in-law is coming, she's only 95, only has to come across the road. Also my daughter and her family will be here. Wife has been getting things ready since yesterday so I stay out of her way as she can get uptight at times when things don't go according to plan. Haha!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX730 View Post
    We are hosting, the mother-in-law is coming, she's only 95, only has to come across the road. Also my daughter and her family will be here. Wife has been getting things ready since yesterday so I stay out of her way as she can get uptight at times when things don't go according to plan. Haha!

Same here, I'm heading for the basement to work on a wall shelf , yesterday spent the majority of the day in basement.
    Gizmo2, MDrew, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,065 Posts
    no big meal here today. just a small turkey breast and some stuffing balls bathed in gravy along with a few mashed taters.

the oldest son's wife tripped somehow in her living room, twisted her big toe backwards, and broke it --i think on tuesday.

so their staying home today-i think--they might be going to her Mothers house for supper--maybethey don't tell me much do they

youngest boy and his wife and new grand daughter usually go to her home for lunch-dinner--then stop here for supper on way homedon't know if that might happen or not--see they don't tell me much-see.

now in the old days of this being butchering day---jeez--big family then on both of parents side--step pap usually butchered 12 pigs back then. where my moms day did maybe 4--still was a long day there too. till the lard was done, along with the pond-hoss-probably did not spell that right

us kids had the job of cutting up fat from the pigs into smaller pieces for the rendering process. some one always needed a band aid--usually one of the girls, then they wouldn't help no longer. never thought about it, till i was older--that i think she planned that back then

forgot the last thing to be done after the lard, was stuffing the sausage into big round links--it was quite the honor to make the longest one. i always claimed it was how u cranked the stuffer-so the casing didn't tear. some yrs we had a deer to mix in with the sausage, now that sure made it taste good

my grand mothers and aunts still made a large meal of turkey, ham,, and well all the trimmings to go along with the meal, pies, aw boy a lot of food that day. course butchering back then was hard work, so u had to eat good that day.

we haven't butchered here since way back in 83--a long time ago. killed a few beef, but clearly not the same as doing hogs.

everyone have a great day---and enjoy ur family.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, MDrew and 6 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast