Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Know your neighbor?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Thanks

Know your neighbor?

We recently had a tragedy in the neighborhood. Our link to the main road was blocked by an overturned propane truck and a neighbor needed/wanted to get home so he walked. It was only a couple of miles and he got about half way, suffered some medical issue and died in the road. His wife was frantically calling his phone. She didn't know anybody else to call and nobody knew how to contact her.

Some of us aren't the most gregarious people in the world but it reminded me that sometimes, just knowing a name and a phone number is a big deal. My wife had put out a message to people who wanted to walk in through a back way that we would pick them up but it didn't reach the deceased. As his wife said, "I don't know anybody in here. I depended on him."

In this case, I don't know that even if he had gotten a ride the medical issue wouldn't have gotten him another time. Maybe, maybe not but his wife suffered through some hours of fearing the worst because she was not known in the neighborhood.

This is a rural area but close enough for people to work in the DC area. People bring city/suburban attitudes of not caring about your neighbors to a place where city services aren't available so we depend on each other. Sometimes the results are tragic. I wish anyone in a suburb/city would understand the culture of a rural area before moving into one. A) emergency services are slower to respond- plan accordingly. An ambulance or fire truck can't be at your door in five minutes- it may be 15 minutes or more. B) if the road is blocked by a tree or debris it's going to be quicker if you clean it up yourself. Yes, someone else will eventually get there but probably not in a hurry; C) The power will go out and it may be hours or days before it's repaired. Better have heat and a way to cook food. Nope, your refrigerator won't work without juice and stuff goes bad if you open the frig door every 20 minutes to see if it's too warm. D) Don't piss off your neighbor, you may need them to call 911, perform CPR or plow your street when it snows. (I wouldn't withhold medical assistance for a bad neighbor but certainly have left their street unplowed because I figured if I plowed it I would get sued if a single rock was displaced.)
    E) Giving your name and phone number to a neighbor isn't an invitation for them to call every five minutes. Think of it as a part of an emergency plan. People who want to gossip about you are going to do so anyway only they will call you the girl on the corner or the guy in the old red Silverado. Most people don't care what you are doing unless it impacts them in some way. F) The golden rule really does apply in a rural area. Be nice, help others out and they will help you. Stay totally to yourself and you may be totally alone just when you need someone, anyone to answer a call for help.

I'm thankful for each of the fine people on GTT. I know y'all are all good neighbors and certainly willing to help others on line and in your neighborhood, but we are literally all over the world so as much as I like you I probably can't help you much in your neighborhood nor can you help me. I guess I've got a few more neighbors to meet.

Treefarmer
    glc, Gizmo2, fdmars and 15 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Treefarmer For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(11-22-2018), dieselshadow†(11-22-2018), glc†(11-22-2018), PJR832†(11-22-2018), SulleyBear†(11-22-2018), Zebrafive†(11-23-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 2,194 Posts
    I can relate. We have no neighbors. There are people who live within about 3/4 mile but donít know them.

Ambulance or fire is a 20 minute response time on good roads. But if the power is out there is no phone or internet - no cell service here. So we depend on ourselves. But this is becoming an issue because my wife is ill and canít drive anymore and could never walk as far as the nearest house. In a scenario where something would happen to me at home, and the power was out, I guess there would be no rescue for me.
    OxPath, BigJim55, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Thanks

Might want to meet the neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I can relate. We have no neighbors. There are people who live within about 3/4 mile but donít know them.

Ambulance or fire is a 20 minute response time on good roads. But if the power is out there is no phone or internet - no cell service here. So we depend on ourselves. But this is becoming an issue because my wife is ill and canít drive anymore and could never walk as far as the nearest house. In a scenario where something would happen to me at home, and the power was out, I guess there would be no rescue for me.
    Sometime you might want to meet the neighbors. Maybe your wife could fire three shots and they could hear them. . .

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    We are also on a rural road with space between neighbors, been here 25+ years. We do know the nearest 6 or so houses and have a cooperative relationship with them for the weather and aid issues you mentioned. There has been some turnover in recent years as folks have aged and passed on or moved to more age appropriate housing so we have turned into the "old" folks in the neighborhood.

It is funny how some urbanites have no idea how things work in their new home.....what do you mean our well won't provide water when there is no electric....... we'll have to pump out what, where do we put it and won't that smell??!!
    pappa, OxPath, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,068 Posts
    TreeFarmer--it's about the same way here anymore. 40 yrs ago here u could hunt almost on anyones land IF U ASKED FIRST. until someone won a court battle of being sued about a hunting accident on their property. then the no hunting signs sprang up overnight --most of them was for strangers--if u asked neighboring farmers, and new where his cows was at--we was able to still hunt--but each yr, fewer and fewer left people hunt. now the last few yrs--its stay off my land.

as far as knowing my neighbors--i know most of them, as i live in a rural area also. nearest little town is roughly 5 miles away, has a bank, little store, a couple bars, a dollar store aw-yeah one red light in it too.

i used to 20 yrs ago know just about everyone-but when i started working for the last trucking company down east, i was gone all week, home for maybe 2 days-so i soon lost track of people moving around. then we moved here--9 miles away

seemed like a world back then. course then my one uncle passed away-my aunt has been staying with her sister 30 some miles away, so seldom i get to see her-maybe a couple times thru the summer is all.

i know first hand about living rural area-as i needed a ambulance at 2am, 5 and half yrs ago. no one from our little town wanted to come out at that time i guess(they had been having trouble with people not wanting bothered at night) i called back to 911 and told that lady the wife was taking me to the pital. i told her i was gonna lay in the back of my pickup--i had a 4 door chevy-plus the bed-but in my haste i forgot to explain that to the operator of 911---she said no-no-i have another company coming for u--i said cancel them-it had been like an hr already-pain was pretty good shape then. i took a lot of different meds to make it quit afterwards i figured she thought i was gonna lay down in the bed of the pickup.
    only 2 people came, a older lady who was driving, and a small person like gizmo2- she insisted i lay on the liter inside the house, wheeled me out to sidewalk-then she said i can't help lift u in--i wanted up off of liter, but nope-won't let me off. so the wife hleped lift me in ambulance--boy was i mad. claimed once a patient was on-u had to stay on it

rural living ain't what it used to be for sure nowadays. sorry ur neighbor had to pass away-treefarmer.
    Last edited by BigJim55; 11-22-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    OxPath likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Thanks for the reminder. You're a good man. It sure would be nice to have neighbors like yourself. I'm sorry to hear of the tragic incident. I hope your neighbor is able to cope with her loss.

I'm lucky to have a great neighborhood. We are fairly tight here and look out for each other. We even have block parties twice a year. It's really good.
    glc, Zebrafive, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    Know most of my neighbors. Rural here also. Neighbors north of me are family and north of Them I know a couple. South of me (1/4 mile) just meet them this summer as they are new and som was riding quad in one of our hayfields. Not a good way to meet them but weíre good now. Across road, know them well. Across road to the south I havenít meet them yet as they are fairly new and their house sit way off the road also. Know most farmers farther out from me also.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Reading this makes me think back when this countries culture was much different!!!!!

As kids, we used to figure out how to make a baseball field since there wasn't organized teams. We had to be creative!

We used to ride our bikes everywhere within a reasonable distance because no one even considered that anyone would shoot anyone, and we all had guns, or some pervert would kidnap a kid.

We used to carry our hunting rifle to school because we were going to go hunting after school and no one ever thought about shooting someone else.

We used to make gun custom made guns in shop class in school.

So, WHAT CHANGED!!!!!

There has been an agenda in this country to change thinking for many, many, many years. This subtle approach has been in our schools and colleges for years and now this movement has successfully changed the thinking of a generation of people.

So, populated areas have steadily been gone further and further off the deep end so somewhat reasonable thinking people have been leaving the cities for years. So, this urban culture has been creeping into more rural areas. In the past, the rural areas are now called the suburbs. Now the suburbs are going off the deep end and the cities are totally gone, so now the suburban people that are somewhat reasonable thinking are moving into the more rural areas. So, even our rural schools are now run by city and federal government programs that are influenced by urban thought.

If you think you can bring there here, and here will not change to look like there, you are fulled!! Anyone that is in their 50's has seen this subtle shift of culture over years of time.

I say, effectively, this thought process has changed the thinking of even good people.

Benjamin Franklin, a US Founding Father said.....
    The deliberations of the Constitutional Convention of 1787 were held in strict secrecy. Consequently, anxious citizens gathered outside Independence Hall when the proceedings ended in order to learn what had been produced behind closed doors. The answer was provided immediately. A Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?” With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, “A republic, if you can keep it.”

"A republic, If you can keep it" was an interesting answer that Benjamin Franklin gave this lady.

One of the subtle things that are modern thinking has done is, even when they quote Benjamin Franklin, many modern reporters and teachers say Franklin's quote was "A democracy, if you can keep it". He did not say democracy, he said republic, there is a huge difference!!

Effectively, our schools and colleges have changed the teachings of our countries founding to cause, now a generation, to have no idea what principles this country was founded on. This change of thinking has caused, even good people, to not have an understanding of our nations founding principles. This un-moored thinking allows for decisions to be made based on emotion rather than being based on principles of our founding.

So, we now have millions of people in this country who look to the government to make all decisions; provide all assistance; give direction for everything; make laws that control every behavor; and I could go on an on.

So, we wonder how we got here!! We are loosing our republic.
    Last edited by Ray_PA; 11-22-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    OxPath, BigJim55, mark02tj and 6 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

BigJim55†(11-22-2018), jdmich†(11-22-2018), Jeff B†(11-22-2018)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Great post Treefarmer, thank you.

We too are lucky to have great neighbors and I am sure they would go above and beyond if necessary. My wife and I were working up to the horse barn one day and my neighbor came racing up to tell us that something was very wrong with Madie (our beagle). Madie suffered from seizures and was having one in our yard, this was the first time he had ever seen this happen, we knew about them and there is honestly not much you can do. But the thought that he came running up to get us was comforting to say the least.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and Treefarmer like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 02:11 PM
    Thanks
    To a point I can relate we only have a 5 person Police Department 1 Chief, 3 Patrol officers & 1 clerk and the rest of city Hall only works 4hrs, 4 day a week But were within 10 miles of a Hospital. Well Fire is dependent of other towns because the act to fund the Fire for our rural area didn't Pass. But I can say at least since September I Know many In this rural sub division or 2 to 5 acre Lots Because I am the Treasurer for our association. I get the streets Plowed and Maintain the 4 Roads and Give approval for additions, fences ect & collect the fees Because the other members of the Board are almost non existent for there duties. I now know why every one resigns from Treasurer every 3 years Because I will be doing the same in 3 years.

The Last Place I lived was even More Rural But I knew My 3 Immediate Neighbors. 1 Neighbor I knew Because I Bought 5.5 acre of his Farm in 1983(his Parents Old Place). So his Place Practically surrounded My Place and he lived across the road. But yes it's a good thing to know Your Neighbors.

I grew Up In the Western Suburbs of Chicago and the mentality of not knowing your neighbors was actually uncommon there. Now Chicago that was common But not the Burbs or at least were I grew up
    Because for the Longest time In that subdivision we Had no Police(county Sheriffs Police would not even Patrol the Place), Fire or any services and you were dependent of Your Neighbors for Just about everything.

Were I Live Now though has more of that I don't know My neighbors mentality. But that might be do to the Fact some of the Hollywood elite live Here when there Not filming. There the Neighbors who Tax our Police to the Limit Calling to report a suspicious vehicle and it turns out to be there Neighbor

But the wife always wanted to live here so I shut My mouth
    OxPath, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast