Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks

All I want for Xmas is a new knee

Anyone gone through knee replacement surgery
    I am abit nervous 😬
    How did yours go, any wisdom
    After doing right will have to do left
    glc, Gizmo2, Levi and 5 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fdmars View Post
    I am abit nervous 😬
    i had mine done back in July 2012, would never hesitate to do my right one, when its time for it.

worst part is the first 2 weeks of therapy -i had a rowing machine here at the house i had to use, then after 2 weeks i went 5 miles down the road to a physical therapy building. would of been great, but about that time i ended back in the pital, needed IV of antibiotics, due to a lot of stuff wrong with me, we had no idea of. like my right kidney hadn't been working for 5 yrs up till then.

all i can say is--the pain i endured the first 10 yrs, after my baker sidswhatever i didn't spell sids right) once they pop in the back side of a kneecap--ur pretty much bone on bone(at least thats what i was told back then) no dr would do mine cause of my age back then, finally at 53 i couldn't do it anymore.

good luck with urs. i was only in for 5 days -wouldn't of been in that long, but they messed my meds up, for 2 days i had no idea where i was--crazy.
    jdmich, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    The title of the thread caught my attention - that is exactly my wife’s Christmas wish!

She was overdue for almost 2 years to have her right knee replaced - finally got everything to align last summer. But then the pre-surgery checks stopped it. Now she is suffering terribly plus her left knee is now much worse from all the limping.

I’ve read many stories here about how great a new knee was for so many people. I would be nervous also. But most everyone said once you get past the actual surgery and the first 6 weeks of rehab the knee replacement was a godsend.
    glc, Gizmo2, fdmars and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 955 Posts
    My mother stood on concrete floors for her entire working career. By the time retired at 62, her knees were shot and she was in constant pain. In 2014 she had replacements done on both knees at the same time. She then went to a rehab facility for a couple weeks, then home. She was vigilant about her physical therapy and exercises, following the doctor's orders to a T. She has continued exercising and is now walking in 5k events and says having them done was the best decision ever. Best wishes to you and keep us posted.
    glc, fdmars, dieselshadow and 8 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I am abit nervous 😬
    Personally I have had lots of other things rebuilt but not my knees, (yet). My neighbor down the street has had both knees replaced and has done extremely well. In fact, the husband, who has an x5xx Deere, had one knee replaced two years ago right now and the other knee replaced in February of the following year, so he had both done in about 3 months. He recovered really well and walks much better and has had no pain or other problems. He is 68 or 69 years young.

His wife just had her knee replaced in August. I was shocked to see her walking in the street with her sister within a few days of being home. She really struggled to walk before the replacement (she has just had one side done at this point) and now you would never know she ever had any knee issues. She was back to driving and already, just these few months later, you wouldn't know she ever had any issues with her knee based upon how she moves and walks. Each person I know who has had this done (and that number easily has to total 20 people or more) end up walking so much more "normally" after the replacement as they don't have the pain in the old knee to deal with.

We also don't realize when you are struggling with a worn out knee, the way you walk to compensate for the agony in the joint actually puts a lot of stress and strain on your other main joints, such as your other knee and your hips. That's why its so important to have the knee replaced as it restores you to walking correctly again and takes the pressure and pain out of the other joints impacted as you walk.

When he was going to have his knees replaced, he called me and asked me to stop over to talk with him. He had not had surgery before and was concerned about the process. I have had about 20 surgeries over the years and just talked him through the process. It's really pretty straight forward.

The biggest problem I always have and which concerned him as well is "Not being in charge" and having to totally trust someone else to make sure you are ok as you are truly in their hands. When you are used to being the boss and calling the shots, its a little unnerving to be along for the ride and having others in charge. But they know much more about replacing knees than I do so it's best the Orthopedic Surgeon and others be in charge on this topic.

My neighbor also had me take over plowing his driveway as he wasn't supposed to be pushing the pedals on his x5xx following the replacement operation for several months and I think maybe his snowblower lift is foot controlled as well. In any event, I handle plowing his driveway now as even though his knees are capable, as he put it "I would rather write the check than be out in the cold after having you handle the plowing and I was sitting in the house drinking warm coffee while someone else handles the snow removal." Well, the first year I was out in the cold but now I too am sitting in the warm drinking coffee while plowing, in my cab. So we both prefer the warmth over the cold.....

As long as the physician doing the surgery does the procedure often (as in a couple or more of the procedures each week) they should be very competent and proficient in their trade. You don't want the doctor who says "I was just at a seminar on vacation and learned how to do these surgeries, so it should be no problem."

Make sure you fully disclose all medical conditions or if you or your blood relatives have had any adverse reactions to the anesthesia. If your family has any hyper-coagulant conditions such as Factor V Leiden which leads to blood clotting more aggressively, then make sure the surgeon and anesthesiologist are aware so they can deal with it in their handling of you. Factor V Leiden is primarily found in people who have a Eastern European background. I happen to have this condition which Is why I am so familiar with it. If any of your blood relatives have had a Pulmonary Embolism or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) which are blood clots in your legs or lungs, etc. you will want to make sure they are aware so they can use blood thinners to help prevent any issues.

Everyone I know who has undergone knee replacements does real well following the surgery and actually do better than those who have undergone "knee repairs" where they are fixing damage to the existing knee joint. You are going to be just fine......

Make sure to ask any questions you might have and don't be shy. There are no stupid questions. Find out what they expect of you after surgery, when they will have you up and walking (probably same day or for sure the next day) and follow the physical therapy closely.

Follow the instructions and regard the limitations. If they say no lifting / walking without using help or having someone help you in the early stages following surgery, then do what they say. You don't want to damage the joint or cause yourself any troubles.

If you haven't had surgery before, it can be a little scary the first time. But these people know what they are doing and if you have questions or concerns, ask them. Also, make sure to follow the use of the pain medicine just as they tell you to. If the pain is diminishing each day following surgery, as it usually does after the first day or two, they will be cutting down the meds they give you for pain and by time you leave the hospital, you will be reduced on the pain meds quite a bit. In fact, my neighbor said he was taking nothing more than over the counter pain meds within a week of his surgeries for each knee.

Many times men have trouble being reliant on others for help with much of the things we take for granted. But at some point in our lives, we can all use the help of others and we just have to ask for it instead of just trying to do everything ourselves.

Everyone I know who has had their knees replaced all say the same thing...."If I would have known how much better I would feel after the surgery and how nice it is to be rid of the joint pain, I wouldn't have waited so long to have it done....."

Best wishes for a prompt and complete recovery. You are going to do just fine............
    glc, Zebrafive, Levi and 5 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

fdmars (11-27-2018), Zebrafive (11-27-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-09-2019 @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Wife had her right done in June 2017 and she did real well. She worked hard in rehab. You will be fine.
    fdmars, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks
    I'm having my checked out next month. I'm hoping that the fix will be something less than replacement. I'm probably a bit too old for replacement, since I'm in my 80's.
    Have wings, will travel.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,199 Posts
    My MIL has had both done, the first one she kind of blew off a lot of the rehad and her recovery was much longer. The second one she did as they asked and she was up and running in a few weeks. You'll be fine, just listen to what they tell you, the physical therapy (mostly stretching exercises) is the key to a full and fast recovery.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to you.
    fdmars, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    I am abit nervous 😬
    Just get it done. I’ve not had it but several friends and aunt have, and as many stated here once past the surgery was fine and wish they would have had it done sooner.
    Best of luck to you.
    fdmars, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    My mother stood on concrete floors for her entire working career. By the time retired at 62, her knees were shot and she was in constant pain. In 2014 she had replacements done on both knees at the same time. She then went to a rehab facility for a couple weeks, then home. She was vigilant about her physical therapy and exercises, following the doctor's orders to a T. She has continued exercising and is now walking in 5k events and says having them done was the best decision ever. Best wishes to you and keep us posted.
    What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Our son had his left one done this year. He still needs the right one done but he said he'd have it done a year later. If you do what they say to do you will be fine. Our son belly ached about the pain and enjoyed being waited on but he did what they said do. After the staples were taken out the recovery went faster. He was staying at our place while he recovered and all the while my wife had cancer that wasn't detected yet but she had the pain. She wouldn't let our son know the pain she was in and our son wanted her to be the one waiting on him. I made sure our son knew after we found out it was cancer but he was already back to his home and getting around on his own. He was here 2 or 3 weeks. The pain was the worse the first 3 days. Make sure to move it like they say to do. Our son had a machine that moved that his leg was strapped to. It was like he was walking with that one leg while laying on the bed.

Not sure I'd have both done at the same time as one of Lucy's aunts had both done years ago and the big thing with having both done at the same time...how do you get up from the stool after using it without help?

Good luck! Just get it down!!
    Last edited by Levi; 11-27-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast