How do you guys & gals help people in need?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: How do you guys & gals help people in need?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

How do you guys & gals help people in need?

Iím looking for different ways to help people. Like kids that arenít getting anything Or next to nothing for Christmas. I work so much that my time is almost impossible to come by right now. In my case Iím looking more for helping with money at the moment. Iíve heard the idea of calling the school and paying off as many kids lunches as possible. Right now I donít really do much more than leave no less than 20% tip even for not so great service. You have to give me the vibe that you donít care about me and my food to get a bad tip. And I usually leave a few dollars on anything that comes up at a register to donate towards a cause.

Still in general. How do you guys help out. I know a lot of you plow snow for your neighbors, and stuff like that. So this isnít just for kids and Christmas. As Iíd like to help more when I can afford it or get time.

I didnít grow up rich. Nor am I rich now. I make what I consider pretty good money and so does my wife, but we both work our tails off. 5-7 days a week since we have know each other(1999 then married in 2000) My parents where the same way. We never had flashy things but we also was never without. I think it makes for a better person in my opinion.
    ColonyPark, MDrew, Levi and 11 others like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlegreenmachine For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87†(11-29-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    I plow snow for some , work for Habitat on occasion and give Mrs. P. financial support so she writes checks to many charities. DAV, wounded warriors, salvation army, local hospice, red cross, local museum, botanical garden, fire relief fund, arbor day foundation, ACLU...............etc. We are not rich by any means but enjoy sharing what little wealth and disposal income we have!
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, MDrew and 9 others like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pappa For This Useful Post:

JDSwan87†(11-29-2018), Littlegreenmachine†(11-29-2018), pcabe5†(11-30-2018)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks
    Your empathy and compassion is commendable. The problem with giving imho is based on two things...a charity I want to know the % of money actually goes to the needy vs the % that goes to the administration. Some well known charities very little of your donation goes where it should.
    The second dilemma is who should receive? Over the years I've offered to buy or give food to people on the street to no avail...they typically want booze or drugs.
    People at intersections with a cardboard "will work for food" signs...has anyone actually asked them "yes...come home with me, I have lots of chores for you and I'll feed you lunch and dinner".
    Bottom line is you and wife are to be commended for working hard to have what you have. Giving is tough. My suggestion would be your best bet is ask at your or any reputable church how you can help out. You don't have time to give but any donation would be appreciated and I would trust the church to see it goes to a needy child, a family who lost their home, etc.
    Good luck and Happy Holidays! You're good people.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    ColonyPark, pappa, MDrew and 8 others like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sevenhills1952 For This Useful Post:

Littlegreenmachine†(11-29-2018)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    You will find the perfect place or person to help when you arenít looking for it. Just keep that frame of mind and the opportunity will present itself.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Carvel Loafer†(11-30-2018), Herminator†(11-29-2018), JDSwan87†(11-29-2018), Littlegreenmachine†(11-29-2018), pcabe5†(11-30-2018)

11. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,055 Posts
    While we worked we helped a lot of people in many ways. When my wife became disabled that slowed way down but we still did help, mostly local. Now that I'm retired the money needs to be held close to the chest for ourselves. But even with that in mind Lucy still made a check out and sent it to my cousin and his wife that is in a bad way. If you look around there is always someone worse off then we are so we help when we can and make sure it's for people that actually get the funds or whatever the help is we're giving.
    ColonyPark, pappa, MDrew and 11 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

13. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    I stopped and helped a couple change a flat tire 2 days ago at 5 AM on I 74 between Mansfield and Champaign . They did not have a clue , or any money . I did not care . I had to get to work . They were helpless. It is the little things that matter . Kevin .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin37b For This Useful Post:

15. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-16-2019 @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    Call your local charity of choice and ask what they are in need of at this time. Purchase items on amazon and have shipped to the location. It really is that easy.

Have food and toys dropped at your local animal rescue.

Send tooth brushes, tooth paste and other hygiene products to the homeless shelter.
    MDrew, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to voxombmx1 For This Useful Post:

17. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,357 Posts
    We have done all sorts of things over the years from buying presents for all the kids at a Catholic Orphanage that had over 50 children (didn't even know such places still existed, to be honest.) to supporting different organizations to selecting someone to help and helping them directly. For 2001 to 2009, we would send 100 holiday packages to soldiers overseas. That worked well once we got the logistics and customs forms and requirements all sorted out. It was much more of a project than we thought. After doing it ourselves for 2 or 3 years, we switched to a group you could pay to handle the entire process.

I will say that was the gift program where we received the greatest response in terms of appreciation and gratitude from those who received the packages. We got so many nice notes, pictures, cards, it was actually heart warming. That's not why you give, but it is nice to know your efforts are appreciated.

A few years ago, we worked with a local charity and put together 50 food baskets with a variety of things and each had a $50 cash card. Many families, who we were directed towards by a local Social Services Agency, were very gracious and thankful. However, a few totally ruined it for us ever doing such a thing again. They were indignant that they "just wanted the cash and not the stupid food" and it went downhill from there to where some tried to "trade" the food baskets back to the store that put them together for us so they could get cash for liquor or whatever.........

One guy tried to intimidate me with threats into giving him all of the cash cards in the remaining packages in the truck, yet to be delivered. He was not successful and in fact, in the end, didn't get the package earmarked for him either......

Problem is, some and I stress SOME people in need are there because of drug and or alcohol, gambling or other issues. For some, its a matter of priorities and they continually make bad choices. My point in mentioning this is your desire to help often can make the situation worse if you give them money as its an enabling tool for more destructive behavior. Many of these people are quite skilled at deception.

Also, we feel that there are thousands of well organized human agencies from the United Way, Salvation Army to you name it, where they provide for people in a variety of ways. To be honest, someone needing assistance simply has to look and they will find a number of organizations to help them.

We decided to help those who truly can not provide for themselves. After trying various approaches, we find helping animals the most rewarding for us. For us, it's the only way we will give going forward. So we support animal welfare agencies which are local in our area and about whom I know their budgets and how the money is spent. Companion animals (Dogs and cats) are entirely dependent upon humans for their care and support and I have yet to have the experiences we endured when trying to help people.

My best advice I can give you is the moment you provide your form of support, help, assistance or whatever, consider the process completed and move along. Because often, there won't be any gratitude from the recipients and the outright hostility which we have experienced when trying to help some was pretty shocking to us. It was not at all what we expected.

So don't expect any appreciation from what you are doing and you won't be disappointed when any acknowledgement of your efforts to help others goes without notice. It's sad to say but true........Again, that's not the reason why most people give but it is nice to know your attempt to help others made a difference and was appreciated.
    ColonyPark, pappa, Levi and 5 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Littlegreenmachine†(11-30-2018)

19. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    This time of year is easy to find things. Most any church will have some sort of "thing" to help out those in need. Many "rest homes" where the elderly live out their final years have a "giving tree" type of arrangement where you can pick a name or two (or 10!) and buy them a couple pairs of socks, slippers, etc... Here in MA, the State Division of Child Services does the same thing with all the kids in foster care. You can call them and they'll give you a gender and age for a child and anything they that know that the child needs. You pick the stuff up, drop it at a DCF office and it gets delivered to the child in time for Christmas.

I have "an arrangement" with the principal and nurse at the school my grandson attends. I have a garage full of tools and enough skills to handle most things around a house or a car. If someone comes to them in need, they call me and I go "fix" whatever I can. Sometimes it's a simple as relighting a pilot light on a water heater. Sometimes it means I scramble around to find them a new set of tires or a washing machine. Sometimes they just need a ride someplace. I never know what it's going to be until I get the call. It's not much. I only get 2 or 3 calls each school year but every time I've gotten one, it's been to help someone local that's usually flat out broke and at the end of their rope.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Littlegreenmachine†(11-30-2018)

21. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    This time of year is easy to find things. Most any church will have some sort of "thing" to help out those in need. Many "rest homes" where the elderly live out their final years have a "giving tree" type of arrangement where you can pick a name or two (or 10!) and buy them a couple pairs of socks, slippers, etc... Here in MA, the State Division of Child Services does the same thing with all the kids in foster care. You can call them and they'll give you a gender and age for a child and anything they that know that the child needs. You pick the stuff up, drop it at a DCF office and it gets delivered to the child in time for Christmas.

I have "an arrangement" with the principal and nurse at the school my grandson attends. I have a garage full of tools and enough skills to handle most things around a house or a car. If someone comes to them in need, they call me and I go "fix" whatever I can. Sometimes it's a simple as relighting a pilot light on a water heater. Sometimes it means I scramble around to find them a new set of tires or a washing machine. Sometimes they just need a ride someplace. I never know what it's going to be until I get the call. It's not much. I only get 2 or 3 calls each school year but every time I've gotten one, it's been to help someone local that's usually flat out broke and at the end of their rope.
    They have one of those giving trees set up in our post office. Not sure what the criteria is but it's for children who don't have much.
    Levi, mark02tj, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

22. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast