Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: EBAY... Lesson Learned

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-21-2015 @ 05:51 AM
    Thanks

EBAY... Lesson Learned

This short story isn't going to be what you are expecting because I'm not going to bash eBay, in fact I love eBay and have bought a lot of stuff off of the site at fair to cheap prices. My 322 JDGT was bought off of the site in Illinois, My #49 snow thrower was bought off the site from Kansas, and my latest Ford F150 was bought through the site out of Phoenix AZ so I am pretty happy with the many buys I have gotten over the years.
    This post is about the guy next door who is getting up in age but is still very mentally sharp at 84. He has had someone else whom I don't know sell a couple things for him on eBay and I guess he was ok with the outcome but last week I was over there and he starts handing me stuff to "put on eBay for him" since he is computer idiot. I told him he'd be better off in a yard sale but he insisted his PINK General Electric hand mixer that was a wedding gift in 1956 would bring "alotta" money on the site. He was thinking $50 to $75. I asked if he HAD to have a certain price and he said "No, just sell it". I laughed and at his insistence I brought it home and listed it for 5 days, no reserve.
    Forward 2 days...he calls me over and showed me an antique radio he wanted to sell too. Sell It! he said.
    So I listed it too and waited for bids to roll in. Well, Last night the Hand Mixer sold for $0.99 with shipping of $12.60 Flat rate USPS. The buyer paid me promptly for the item and the shipping. Wait for it.......
    Today my neighbor went through the roof because I sold his dead wife's wedding mixer for $0.99
    I told him it is what it is and just like at a live auction, if no one bids , it goes cheap and besides.... Bernadine didn't use it any more.(His dead wife)..... Then he asked about his prize possession radio that I had listed and I told him some has bid $19 on it so far, he about filled his pants at that moment telling me he paid alotta money for that thing years ago... He told me to take it off and stop the sale so I warned him it MAY cost to end the auction early and he would have to pay me for the damages. Well, I'm here to warn you don't try to do people favors unless they fully understand how the world turns now days. I ended the radio auction and am waiting for the fallout with eBay. If I get fined a couple dollars I think I'll just pay it myself and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Do not sell other people's belongings for them unless they are dead and can't complain about it.
    Last edited by Swampfox; 02-19-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    1988 JD 322, Rear 2000rpm PTO,Cast weights,Chains,Loaded 26x12x12 Carlise Tru-Powers,V-61 front tires,Front wheel weights,Ruegg 3 point hitch,Brinley 10 inch plow,5 foot Rear Woodsman blade,Suitcase weights,3000lb winch,80 Patio cart,Modified #49 snowthrower,Harbert suspension seat,54"- 4 way blade,50" mower deck,Al-Z Loadlifter attachment, 1977 JD 212,39A snowthrower,Rear Intregal hitch,Cast weights,V-chains,42 blade,Sears cart,
    1979 JD 214,weights,V-chains,42 blade,15 gallon electric Sprayer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Swampfox For This Useful Post:

KD7CAO (02-20-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Good advice!
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    good advice!
    ^^^^^^ditto^^^^^^
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    So no discussion with him prior to listing about setting a specific reserve amount or anything like that? Yoikes!

Yeah, if you're going to sell someone else's stuff both parties need to be in agreement on all the details. Let him take his stuff to one of the "professional listers" out there.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-21-2015 @ 05:51 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    So no discussion with him prior to listing about setting a specific reserve amount or anything like that? Yoikes!

Yeah, if you're going to sell someone else's stuff both parties need to be in agreement on all the details. Let him take his stuff to one of the "professional listers" out there.

A hand mixer? Reserve? LOL. I wouldn't waste my time putting a reserve on a $15 handmixer. He KNEW it was going for ANY price and he THOUGHT it would bring more than $50. What he didn't know because he refused to believe me is that pink hand mixers aren't in high demand on eBay. I'll never list an item for someone else again. In fact, Even I don't sell on eBay just because of the fact it's a big gamble even with a reserve price. I buy from there often though. Items like that is such a time consuming waste to package and ship out, I made him take it to the post office to burn his $2 worth of gas and 30 minutes of HIS time to mail it off. I spent too much time on it the way it was.
    1988 JD 322, Rear 2000rpm PTO,Cast weights,Chains,Loaded 26x12x12 Carlise Tru-Powers,V-61 front tires,Front wheel weights,Ruegg 3 point hitch,Brinley 10 inch plow,5 foot Rear Woodsman blade,Suitcase weights,3000lb winch,80 Patio cart,Modified #49 snowthrower,Harbert suspension seat,54"- 4 way blade,50" mower deck,Al-Z Loadlifter attachment, 1977 JD 212,39A snowthrower,Rear Intregal hitch,Cast weights,V-chains,42 blade,Sears cart,
    1979 JD 214,weights,V-chains,42 blade,15 gallon electric Sprayer

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 AM
    Thanks
    Yeah, some people don't seem to grasp what is a collectable hot item and what is just plain old nothing.
    Regardless of how much you paid for it 40 years ago.

Example- say a certain rare tiny diecast piece of construction equipment made in the 60's and given out by salesmen to owners or potential customers for their kids to play with or hopefully leave in drawer untouched.
    Worth in 2015- $750.00

And a console TV with all kinds of fancy wood cabinetry around it that one paid over $1000 for back 40 years ago.
    Can't pay someone to take it.

The latter was a case with my wife's uncle. Had this giant console TV in a shed that he would not let go of because he paid alot of money for it. Said over and over it was worth money because he paid so much for it.
    Last edited by blue87fj60; 02-20-2015 at 05:16 AM.
    farmgirl19, Levi, Oberhaz and 1 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    Are there any stores around you that sell stuff on Ebay for people? Might want to help yourself out by sending him there.

Does this mean you won't be retiring and opening one of those stores?
    Levi and Swampfox like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

Bubber (02-20-2015)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Hook him up with a couple seasons of Pawn Stars. Everyone has something "rare and collectable".
    Sometimes things are rare because they sucked and no one wanted them.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 636mullet View Post
    Sometimes things are rare because they sucked and no one wanted them.

That's very, very true.
    636mullet, Levi and Swampfox like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Hey, I'm 62. How much can I get for myself? Boy, I left myself open for that one. Just send me the and you can say anything you want!!
    Yamaguy, blue87fj60 and Swampfox like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

Swampfox (02-20-2015)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast