Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Any runners here?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks

Any runners here?

I know this topic probably doesn't fit the demographic here on GTT but I trust you guys.

I've been training for a fitness test and running is part of it. I had been running on a tread mill but now that I getting closer to my test I need to make sure I can self pace myself. I have been getting knee pain after running on a track and was looking for a recommendation on running shoes. So let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts
    New Balance here. I don't run, but I do use the treadmill.
    What treadmill are you using?
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    New Balance here. I don't run, but I do use the treadmill.
    What treadmill are you using?
    That is the problem I can't use a tread mill I need to be able to pace myself for a mile and a half. So I have been running on an indoor track.

John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    That is the problem I can't use a tread mill I need to be able to pace myself for a mile and a half. So I have been running on an indoor track.

Yeah I guess that would be tough.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:04 AM
    Thanks
    Running was my big passion for almost 20 years. First, before recommending the right running shoe, you have to know what type of runner you are, i.e. have a neutral gait, pronate (over pronate), or suppinate (under pronate). Most people will pronate a bit, while suppinators aren't that common. To find out which are you, check the outsoles of your shoes. If the outside heel portion of your shoes are worn a lot, then you are an overpronator. If your shoes shoes a lot of wear on the inside of the outsole, then your an underpronator. After determining which type you are, then you can search for shoes that fit your type. Overpronators will need motion control shoes, which usually means a higher density foam or some type of motion control feature on the inside portion of the shoe. Only buy shoes that fit that criteria.

Weight is another key factor - the lighter the shoe the faster you can run, but provides the less motion control as motion control shoes tend to run heavier in weight. What I would recommend is to go to a running specific store to talk to the experts, let them evaluate your running style and then pick a shoe. Running shoes are vital in running, making the wrong choice can lead to injuries or at least, a poor experience to where you won't want to run too much. Do not buy shoes from the super shoe stores as they usually don't carry the best running shoes, just the most popular for casual wear.

Find a copy of the Runner's World and read, read, read. Do your due diligence on researching running shoes, your running style, and don't pick a shoe based on someone else opinion - that person may have a totally different running style.

Lastly in this segment of mine, the top running shoes brands are: Nike, Asics, New Balance, Brooks, Saucony, etc. When I ran I used mostly Nikes and Asics shoes.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-21-2015), felixm22 (02-21-2015), Yamaguy (02-21-2015)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 978 Posts
    Before we had kids, and had the time…ya know like what seems to be a million years ago, I ran a lot. Running a 5K or 10K on a weekend was just about part of the routine. Every year I say I will start again. Luckily the effects of running are still with me, low pulse and blood pressure. They tell me I am half dead. Anyways, Saucony shadow 6000 were my only choice. They were not great looking, but were heck of good shoes. I just bought my first pair of new balance and for walking and hiking, have been very pleased with them as well.

Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Pacing is important for longer distances. Start out slow and build into a faster, but controlled pace. One rule of thumb for pacing, if you can't talk out loud while running, then your pace is too fast. The right pace will allow you to be able to hold a conversation with someone without running out of breath while talking.

One thing concerns me is the knee pain - don't ignore it. Most runners can develop runner's knee, which is where the knee cap rubs against the ligaments and cartridges of your knee and becomes painful. Don't ignore it as it can get worse.
    Olympian Don Kardong

11. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

felixm22 (02-21-2015)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks

Most likely your knee pain isn't your shoes but rather HOW you run. I always thought I new how to run properly and that it was just a fact that knee pain came with it. Went to a local running store (not sporting goods - but a dedicated running store) and they opened my eyes to a whole new way.

Take a look at this website

Welcome to Good Form Running

With this running form I went from 198 lbs down to 160 lbs and trained my wife for a marathon - we logged over 700 miles in one summer (I believe it was 732.) I was never in better shape in my life and had very little pain as a result. That was 10 years ago and unfortunately 3 years or so ago I hurt my back and had to stop running for awhile. I'm back up to 196 and plan on giving it a go again in the spring.

The secret is a smaller stride and a faster cadence and NOT landing on your heels but rather more on the front of your foot where it can act like a spring rather than the force hitting your heel and just transmitting that force straight up your leg.

It made a HUGE difference for me and I highly recommend checking it out. (Don't go for the minimalist shoes until you REALLY have the technique down....or at all if you already have knee issues.)

I also recommend finding a running store with knowledgable salespeople. Do NOT try to get a cheap pair of running shoes - you'll pay for it later in medical bills. You don't have to pay a TON, but have them check out your stance, old shoes, etc. so that they can pair you with shoes that match your body. Don't worry in the least what they look like. Think of them like a tool - function over form.
    Last edited by sstlaure; 02-21-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sstlaure For This Useful Post:

Bubber (02-21-2015), ColonyPark (02-21-2015), felixm22 (02-21-2015)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Actually the wrong running shoe will lead to injury, there is no question about that. Most runners do develop some sort of pain or injury in their running career. Running surfaces also can lead to injuries, i.e. concrete and asphalt is hard on the joints, so avoid if possible. Running on roads with a crown can lead to injuries. If I ran on a road with a crown, I would alternate which side the crown was on during the run so I wouldn't run too much on one side which can lead to injury.

Changing one's running style is difficult at best, and may not be recommended. But you can find ways to minimized the damage your running style can caused by observing how you run and making minor adjustments. Most runners, especially casual runners are heel strikers, while the most advance runners are forefoot strikers or strike on the balls of their feet. Find out what works best for you.

Knee injuries is the most common injury to runners. Running forces the impacts on your knees to beyond what the knee was designed for. Shoes can lead to more stresses on the knees if you pick the wrong shoe. Remember the running shoe is the most significant piece of equipment a runner has and the only thing between his feet and the surface he is running on.
    Olympian Don Kardong

15. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-21-2015)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    NOTES: Good running shoes wear out a lot faster than you would think.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    Keith

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast