Cut the cable cord - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 121 to 126 of 126
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Cut the cable cord

  1. Top | #121
    spferdil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 396 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    I've been looking at cord-cutting options for years because of greedy cable company tactics. Now that the range of alternative options is getting really attractive, the seemingly "generous" usage caps implemented by the cable industry during the past few years are looking like a brilliant (dastardly) counter-attack. My streaming friends are now frequently hitting the one terabyte monthly limit on their internet plans. Their options are to pay substantial fees above the 1TB threshold, or to pay another $50 per month for an umlimited plan -- raising their total cord-cutter bill to the same amount as my cable bundle.

    The only way around this trap is increased competition. Nobody but Cox offers any sort of reasonable broadband speeds here. They know it. I sure wish we could break free from monopoly franchise agreements and have a real provider choice. Sadly, our politicians have higher priorities than promoting affordable communications for anyone who isn't already receiving Government assistance. (I'll stop now because that topic belongs in the political talk thread!)
    ... Also a gear grinder rant!
    Yep, they are going to get you one way or another. Here our data cap is 300 gig, which was great back when we first got cable internet and the speed was 5 meg. Since then they have continued to raise the speed so we are now at 100 meg but have never raised the data cap. Which pretty much eliminates saving money by changing to all streaming.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #122

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    2,338
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 220 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    One possible reason for exceeding usage caps on cable is folks choosing to stream 4K content on smart TVs. It is amazing how much more bandwidth 4K requires compared to 1080. It doesnít take all that many streaming hours of 4K to exceed some CATV limits.

    Itís one reason I stayed with a HDTV when recently needing to replace a failed unit.
    4K content requires about 15Mb throughput and 2K content (HD, 1080, call it what you will) requires about 7Mb throughput. In other words, watching something in 4K uses twice as much data. I dumped the 4K Netflix plan when they jacked the price and haven't noticed ANY degradation in picture quality at all. My TV does an excellent job of scaling the picture up from 2K (HD) to 4K (UHD) to be displayed.

    The second major advantage I have is that I can get all four major networks with an Antenna. I have that hooked to my media server to record programming and don't need any streaming service to watch any of the dozen ish shows we regularly watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    Yep, they are going to get you one way or another. Here our data cap is 300 gig, which was great back when we first got cable internet and the speed was 5 meg. Since then they have continued to raise the speed so we are now at 100 meg but have never raised the data cap. Which pretty much eliminates saving money by changing to all streaming.
    Have you looked to see what your provider would be offering a NEW customer? 300G data cap is pretty crappy. Threaten them with losing you and going to a competitor (ANY competitor, including HughesNet) if they don't fix the cap.
    ---

    2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

  4. Top | #123
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,683
    Thanks
    1,135
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    One possible reason for exceeding usage caps on cable is folks choosing to stream 4K content on smart TVs. It is amazing how much more bandwidth 4K requires compared to 1080. It doesnít take all that many streaming hours of 4K to exceed some CATV limits.

    Itís one reason I stayed with a HDTV when recently needing to replace a failed unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    4K content requires about 15Mb throughput and 2K content (HD, 1080, call it what you will) requires about 7Mb throughput. In other words, watching something in 4K uses twice as much data. I dumped the 4K Netflix plan when they jacked the price and haven't noticed ANY degradation in picture quality at all. My TV does an excellent job of scaling the picture up from 2K (HD) to 4K (UHD) to be displayed.

    The second major advantage I have is that I can get all four major networks with an Antenna. I have that hooked to my media server to record programming and don't need any streaming service to watch any of the dozen ish shows we regularly watch.



    Have you looked to see what your provider would be offering a NEW customer? 300G data cap is pretty crappy. Threaten them with losing you and going to a competitor (ANY competitor, including HughesNet) if they don't fix the cap.
    My cap is 440g per month. Iím now paying $20 per month for 20mbps down which works fine for me.

    I tried the Netflix 4K plan for a month just to try it out with my new TV. I guess the show I watched (Designated Survivor) was also HDR - we didnít like the effect at all. But what I noticed is that even with non 4K video on Netflix it was still streaming at 15mbps. Once I switched back the picture was exactly the same to me streaming at 1080p.

    I would have run over my cap had I stayed with the Netflix 4K plan.

    I will never go back to cable or satellite as I refuse to pay to watch commercials.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #124
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,562
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 297 Times in 225 Posts
    We have Charter or Spectrum, whatever they're calling themselves this week. The delivered product works very well and we are pleased. There are no data caps, they just upgraded us from 100mbs download to 200mbs,which required a new modem, at no charge and no change in the monthly. I was pleasantly surprised.

    We were paying $59.95/month for internet plus taxes. However, when we switched from DirecTV to streaming, Charter/Spectrum had a one year, no contract, offer for streaming of $24.95/month that included the local broadcast channels, the usual cable channels few people watch and our choice of nine others. After all the streaming services we researched, with special thanks to this thread and meburdick for providing some very useful links to streamline this process, the Charter/Spectrum service was the best value for us. As another pleasant surprise,as we were now bundling all three services with them, our internet rate dropped to $44.95/month and one of our phone lines to 9.95/month. So our net monthly bill hardly changed at all with the addition of the streaming package.

    The only downside was their customer service people are idiots. They setup the wrong package for TV (sent out a cable box and higher priced) and disconnected my second line. This took no less than hour plus on the phone on three separate occasions over three weeks as each time they corrected an error, they disconnected my second line!
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

  7. Top | #125
    spferdil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 396 Times in 248 Posts
    Our cable internet service is very good, other than the datacap thing. It is very reliable, hardly ever any problems, and they have very good customer service. They were named Cableone but for some strange reason they have just recently decided to change their name to "Sparklight". Wonder who came up with that?

    They are the best option around here for broadband internet. I don't even know anyone that can get DSL. You pretty much have to live next door to the phone office. I wouldn't want to deal with satellite internet, everybody I know that ever had it was only because they couldn't get anything else and they hated it. Besides it costs more than our cable. A friend of mine who can't get cable has one of the line-of-sight services, but it costs more than our cable and he only has speed of 25 meg.

    I get the networks OTA via the crappy local channels with a small outdoor antenna, but with their transmitters in Oklahoma most of their local coverage is about Oklahoma. I would rather have the local channels from Dallas but due to the terrain it takes at least a 50 foot tower here to get them OTA. So I give Directv a different zip code and get them thru them.

    We still use Directv for most of our TV viewing. But we seldom ever watch anything live due to all the commercials. We have 2 whole-house DVR's, the Genie with 5 tuners and an older DVR with 2 tuners. They won't let you have but one Genie on an account. We keep everything we regularly watch set to record and watch it later while fast-forwarding thru the commercials. I don't even know what actual time anything comes on anymore. It's a shame you have to play these stupid games but that's the way it is nowadays.
    coaltrain likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  8. Top | #126

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    2,338
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 220 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    We have Charter or Spectrum, whatever they're calling themselves this week. The delivered product works very well and we are pleased. There are no data caps, they just upgraded us from 100mbs download to 200mbs,which required a new modem, at no charge and no change in the monthly. I was pleasantly surprised.

    We were paying $59.95/month for internet plus taxes. However, when we switched from DirecTV to streaming, Charter/Spectrum had a one year, no contract, offer for streaming of $24.95/month that included the local broadcast channels, the usual cable channels few people watch and our choice of nine others. After all the streaming services we researched, with special thanks to this thread and meburdick for providing some very useful links to streamline this process, the Charter/Spectrum service was the best value for us. As another pleasant surprise,as we were now bundling all three services with them, our internet rate dropped to $44.95/month and one of our phone lines to 9.95/month. So our net monthly bill hardly changed at all with the addition of the streaming package.

    The only downside was their customer service people are idiots. They setup the wrong package for TV (sent out a cable box and higher priced) and disconnected my second line. This took no less than hour plus on the phone on three separate occasions over three weeks as each time they corrected an error, they disconnected my second line!
    That, right there, is why I will NEVER go back to pay-for TV from the cable companies. Their boxes suck, everything is crippled, and they shove their stupid interface down your throat. If I want to throw my ENTIRE system out right now and change it to something entirely different, I have that option. Or, I can keep it EXACTLY as it is forever without ever having to worry that the provider is going to push a software change, cripple something, etc.

    And don't even get me started on how much electricity all of those stupid boxes waste! They are literally purpose-built computers with hard drives. They are ALWAYS powered on and wasting electricity. Chances are, just having one in your house raises your electric bill by at least $10 / month.
    ---

    2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

  9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts