Thread: Rural Internet Project

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks

Rural Internet Project

New Rural Internet Project

Background;

There is no cable/dsl or other reasonable internet service where I live so my current connectivity comes over a point to point network and I pay a fairly high connection rate (10$/month per megabit) and have a fairly low cap. The situation started to get worse as some of the local wireless providers are consolidating which of course means less competition and that will only lead to higher prices so... a few months ago we decided to take matters into our own hands and installed our first point to point RF network connection as a proof of concept for a rural internet project. The towers are approximately 6 miles apart and really only served to establish connectivity and prove to ourselves that we could figure everything out. The connection has been rock solid ever since we installed it including through several storms. The network tests out well, typically hitting speeds of 200+Mb/s sustained. With the proof in our back pocket so to speak we set about surveying the local terrain and planning for our own rural internet project. A couple of days ago we started installing the first major antenna tower for this project. It started with a road, two holes, and some frozen ground. The road had to be cut through the woods, the first hole was in my wallet, the other in the ground, and of course all the ground is frozen harder than.. well, harder than...

The project;

Install a network comprised of point to point (ptp) and point to multi-point (PTMP) dishes connected over non-licensed spectrum (none required). The goal is two-fold. One is to provide a few of the rural kids with equal quality access to the internet, comparable to their friends in the city. Two, is to build a network for shared services such as security, gaming for the kids, etc so the properties aren't quite so isolated.

Digging the first hole

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	Digging Foundation.jpg†
Views:	12†
Size:	3.19 MB†
ID:	663046

The foundation is 66x66x48 (inches), that 122^3 feet

The 1025 worked as a pack mule, hauling wood, tools, and refreshments to the site in the woods.
    (yeah, I know, ugly but hey, it worked)

Name:	Pack Mule.jpg†
Views:	11†
Size:	964.8 KB†
ID:	663048

We framed up the hole and used the 1025 to haul the cement down the freshly cut road. What started as frozen ground a few days ago during the dig and cutting the road turned into a slimy covering of mud over frozen ground by the time we started hauling concrete as the temperature was rising throughout the day. The 1025 was dancing, literally sliding on the thin layer of thawed mud on top of the frozen ground. wheeeee!

Loading concrete..

Name:	Loading Mud.jpg†
Views:	14†
Size:	759.4 KB†
ID:	663050

For anyone who cares to try this, the 48" bucket can handle a full load no issue, just be careful as it tends to slosh around

Name:	Haulin Mud.jpg†
Size:	1.16 MB†
ID:	663052

Filling the hole

Name:	Dumpin Mud 2.jpg†
Views:	12†
Size:	435.7 KB†
ID:	663054

121 cubic feet doesn't sound like a lot, it was 25 round trips with the tractor between the truck and the hole. That's 25 trips I didn't have to make with a wheelbarrow (which would have been more like 50-60 trips) more importantly it was 18000 pounds or 9 tons that I didn't have to schlep by hand. The little tractor did really well.

Placing the antenna base

Name:	First Stage.jpg†
Size:	776.0 KB†
ID:	663056

Made a foam cap for the concrete so it could stay warm while it set. I checked the temperature and it was right at 55 degrees so it was doing okay, the foam cap is there as more insurance.

Name:	Foam Cap.jpg†
Size:	874.3 KB†
ID:	663058

Then made a plastic cover to keep the heat in and the frost out.

Name:	Plastic Sheets.jpg†
Views:	13†
Size:	1.03 MB†
ID:	663060

Next Steps;

The tower will be 66+' tall when completed. This will allow it to have full visibility above the neighboring trees and to the land across the little valley. When complete, this will be the core of connectivity for several properties which average 5-10 miles away from this antenna. The current proof of concept setup is rock solid at 6 miles and I can 'see' other radios on the same spectrum out about 15 miles away but too low level in signal to be of concern.

Once we have the main tower built then we go back into town to build out the source dish. The source dish will be on top of a commercial property who has been kind enough to let us use their roof space. The local internet provider has agreed to provide us with bandwidth up to 350Mb/s but it is unlikely we will get that full bandwidth given the equipment we are using but we will get close, probably in the 220Mb/s plus range. We could go much faster but the costs start to go up dramatically.

There were a few questions in the 'what did you do with your scut..' thread so I have copied the posting here and will answer any questions that may come up in this thread.
    glc, pcabe5, Bubber and 12 others like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earthling For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow†(12-21-2018), wildbranch2007†(12-22-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks

Equipment

The equipment can be broken down into four categories;

Antenna towers
    Radio and dishes
    Network gear
    Computers

The antenna towers are all used. I watched the local online sites and there were at least 1 new one every week, sometimes more. We ended up with one 66' tower, and two of 45'. For free.

The radios and dishes are from a company called Ubiquiti . The specific ones we are using are called the Powerbeam 5AC ISO Gen 2. We are also using the non-iso model which means no radome cover and slightly less noise immunity but since we are rural, competing noise from other wifi is not an issue.

Pricing for the dish/radio and cable can be found at UBNt.com

The network gear is also all UBNT but from the Unifi line. The software that it comes with is very good, free, and stable.

On the computer side, we have several boxes that are shared. One is running Squid which is a caching proxy server. It keeps local copies of often used content so that it does not need to be redownloaded. The second one is a video camera server. It stores all the video feeds and is kept locked up. The third is a cloud server which runs the overall network configuration. Basically all of the radios and all of the network switches talk to the cloud server for their config. This was free software that comes from Ubiquiti as well.
    glc, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Network Service

We do have wireless network providers in our area including the big phone and cable operators but none of them could do what we wanted. We either got high priced cellular access, slow as molasses satellite access, or high priced wireless (RF) access. All of them came with what amounts to unrealistic data caps in my opinion and only one guy could get us speeds greater than 15Mb/s. My profession requires a lot of internet access (I rely on it) and while I don't need gig fiber, I do need faster than what was typically available to me. I started calling around and found one of the bandwidth resellers who would allow me to have my own connection at a commercial building in town who in turn provided me with roof access for the primary dish. The local internet provider is charging me residential rates for basically unlimited data at speeds up to 350Mb/s. Everyone on the network will be paying this provider but going through our own infrastructure. That still works out to be about half the price of going with the local wireless provider.
    glc, BigJim55, mark02tj and 5 others like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    mab

Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 01:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the additional information.

Mike
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    Nice project! Would like to see the end result.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 AM
    Thanks
    Robnik likes this.
    1026r | 60D | CID Pallet Forks | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch (extended hook) | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    My company set up a similar system to feed our multiple homes in town. The homes are seeing about the same results. We are only covering about 2 miles. While it was about $450 a house. The houses now pay nothing for the feed from the main office.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Awesome project! As a software developer I love tech projects and if you can combine a tractor and a tech project thatís heaven! Super awesome design and good equipment too. We are stuck on 6mb dsl which gets the job done when I need to remote in but thatís about it. Spectrum is laying lines for our house next year though so thatís positive. Good luck sir and know Iíll be following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

Forks soon. Blade for the loader. Rio mod.
    So much fun to be had!

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Thanks
    Cool project!!
    wildbranch2007 and Robnik like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks

Put this AifFiber 24 link up last Saturday

This is the other end on a 100í RSL, the AirFiber24 is the primary link and 5ghz air fiber is the failover, primary link is 1.5gbps failover is 370mbps.

I will tell you that Lite Beams ACs are solid CPE (client) radios, get some good RACs 5ghz and RF Elements twist port horns.

Let me know if you need help planning.

Iím using the following frequencies
    3.65 LTE
    900mhz
    2.4ghz
    5.8ghz
    24ghz

- bucket teeth

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast