Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Hughes Net 5

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,388 Posts

Hughes Net 5

I have finally reached my limit with Frontier. With a trouble ticket from 21 December 2018 now scheduled for 21 January 2019, I'm done. I have avoided satellite internet, but I believe it is the best choice. AT&T Wireless does not serve our area, I assume because of poor cell service. Verizon cell service is not much better.

So, does anyone have Hughes Net 5 or know of anyone who has used it? If anyone can offer any advice, I would appreciate it. I plan to have something done or at least started by the end of the week.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Kennyd, glc, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 1,210 Posts
    We do have Hughes Net Gen 5. As far as reliability the only time we have lost service was one of the storms last March when the snow came straight up the valley out of the south. I went out and bushed the snow off and back in business. Rain doesn't bother like it sometimes does with Dish Network.
    We pay $61/month for 20 gb highspeed but it is unlimited with reduced speed, the few times we have gone over our 20 gb's I have not really noticed much of a slowdown except if you were trying to stream or watch videos on YouTube.
    It is not super fast but it gets the job done for our needs, and besides, like you we are very limited to our choices. My biggest issue is that there should be rollover from unused gb's, many months we may only use 17-18 and we lose them.
    But again, this is not hardwired internet speed like Tim Warner/Spectrum but it get's the job done for us.

It is what it is when you have limited choices, we've learned to live it.

Hope this helps
    Kennyd, glc, Gizmo2 and 5 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

DRobinson†(01-14-2019), Gizmo2†(01-13-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    I dont know if Viasat is available to you, but that's what we have. Just checked plans and pricing with Hughes net and it is much more expensive here.

Currently with Viasat(Exede) we have a 25 mbps, unlimited GB plan for $110. The "unlimited" part is 150 GB of priority data, then they may deprioritize you during periods of network congestion once you pass that. Not a problem for us, as we dont come close to that. I subscribed to netflix last week to see if it would be a viable alternative to Directv, which hits us for about $115. Checked usage yesterday and we should end up somewhere shy of 100 GB streaming about 2 hours per day, plus our normal usage. Probably going to cut the satellite TV cord this month.

Hughes net for my address is $149 for 50 GB at 25 mbps.

Overall it has been trouble free. Had one issue about a week after it was installed, but no problems in the almost 5 years since. Fast enough to stream at dvd quality from Netflix. YouTube videos work well. Havent tried Amazon video yet. Plan availability seems to change frequently, so I'd check often for one of the unlimited or or other 150 GB plan. If you can catch it and sign up, you're grandfathered in when pricing changes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

6. The Following User Says Thank You to userjh160 For This Useful Post:

DRobinson†(01-14-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
    I dont know if Viasat is available to you, but that's what we have. Just checked plans and pricing with Hughes net and it is much more expensive here.
    Huh, we just got a card from Viasat Friday in the mail, we locked in a real good price with Hughes but that we likely change in a few months when our 2 year contract is up. But in our area the 50 gb plan is $129/month with Hughes, and my wife just checked that price in our account.
    DRobinson, OxPath and SulleyBear like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 2,193 Posts
    This brings back memories. We had no internet service at our house so I eneded up being a beta tester for what was then known as DirecPC in the late 90ís. Then in the 2000ís it became DirecWay - then in 2004 became HughesNet Gen 4.

HughesNet designs, builds, and launches the satellites for their service along with DirecTV.

What does all this mean to me? That they have been in the business for a fairly long time and should be a stable company. As with anything service behind the sale (or subscription in this case) is always important.

As Pat said - it is what it is. Itís a bit expensive but for rural people it is a godsend in a way as the only way to obtain internet service. In these times we live in it has almost become a necessity as much as a telephone was way back when.

The worst aspect I think is the cap per month. But if you budget your usage youíll be fine.

If I lost my great cable service for some reason I wouldnít hesitate to go back to satellite. I would have to change some of my ways like relying on streaming for all my TV. Other than that I would just have to monitor my usage to stay within the monthly cap.

I havenít looked - do they have some sort of trial period? Iím kind of doubtful as there is quite an expensive system they install to get you started. That is why they demand a contract. Back when I was a beta tester I paid for my dish and modem at their cost which was ~$600 back then. Iím sure itís a lot more expensive now.

Iím following along here - let us know if you plan to try it. This kind of stuff interests me. I always though it was pretty amazing that every time you click your mouse the signal travels 23,000 miles.
    DRobinson, arlen, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I would check for any terrestrial internet providers and all possible cellular carriers before resorting to satellite internet.

- bucket teeth
    glc, DRobinson, spferdil and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    Folks across the street moved about a year ago to a house over looking a lake out in the woods. real nice. No cable TV or internet. They figured the 25mb download of satellite would be more than enough. The problem is the upload delay, the wife did facetime with the grandkid alot and the satellite sucked. Also download speed would drop real slow and tech support would be like heavy traffic in the area, sorry.

They finally had DSl line installed. Speed is slow but low lag times and is working out for them.

Look at DSL if available, you may have to have dial tone line along with it. You will need to check with your local ma bell

Kevin

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 2,193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    I would check for any terrestrial internet providers and all possible cellular carriers before resorting to satellite internet.

- bucket teeth
    I believe he has exhausted any and all other possibilities.
    Kennyd, glc, DRobinson and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

DRobinson†(01-14-2019)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 653 Posts
    Is Frontier part of Hughes?

Frontier Satellite Internet
    DRobinson, OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TractorDude View Post
    Look at DSL if available, you may have to have dial tone line along with it. You will need to check with your local ma bell

Kevin
    That's what he has now...and Frontier is his local "ma bell"
    glc, DRobinson, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

DRobinson†(01-14-2019)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast