• 1 Post By AlKozak
  • 1 Post By mark02tj

Thread: Espresso Machines???

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Thanks

Espresso Machines???

Not sure the knowledge base is here for espresso machines but hopefully....

My wife drinks a lot of fru fru "coffee" from Starbucks. They just went up on the price of her "coffee" again so I am looking to start making it at home. I know nothing about the espresso machines other than they are required to make a latte which is what she drinks, a french vanilla latte with whip. I have figured out the ingredients now just need the machine.

I would love to put her into a super automatic with one touch production but not sure we can afford it, so the next in line would be a semi-automatic.

The front runner right now is the Reville Barista Express as they can be had for a few hundred on the used market but best I can tell it will take 5 minutes to make her coffee.

Any recommendations?
    SulleyBear likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,357 Posts
    You are a very brave man, getting between your wife and her Latte...........that's some possibly highly perilous territory if things don't go smoothly.....

There seems to be a wide variety which can fall under the "Latte" name, as there are some K cup style produces they sell described as Latte's, but they are brewed in the K cup machine and the one's I tried, lacked the same "foam-i-ness" if that's a word. I like just their Butter Toffee coffee, which is simply a water over grounds type brewing process so it's easy. I had a box of their "Latte" product (I am not even sure it was from Keurig, but it was a K cup style product) and it was OK, but if the "frothiness" of the latte is important, she might not like it.

Just make sure she taste tests any samples in advance if you can, because there seems to be some "wiggle room" on the names used on products and you want to make sure they meet her standards.........

Good luck.......and keep us posted.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 01-14-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spellain
    psrumors and johnH123 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    I kinda went through this recently,,
    and,, it was just coffee,, not even fancy coffee,,

I never made coffee at home, but, I LOVE gas station quality coffee,,

I was finally educated enough (mostly here) that roasting temp of the bean is a major factor in coffee taste,,

That said,, I tried a half dozen coffee brewing methods (no Keurig),, and I have finally settled on a method, and a coffee.
    not as good as gas station coffee,, but, close enough for me,,

After my fiasco with just coffee,, I would never attempt something more sophisticated than "just coffee",,,
    mark02tj likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Having just finished my morning coffee,, I just remembered another aspect of DIY coffee I still need to resolve.

THE CONTAINER!

I am now using ceramic cups for my coffee,, WRONG!!
    the coffee is cold in literally under 5 minutes.

I can stop at a gas station, get their coffee,, (which is served at the initial same temperature)
    and the gas station coffee stays a great temperature for a half hour.

So, right now,, I have 5 minutes to consume the DIY coffee,, or toss it,,

I gotta get some cups and lids at Sams Club,, I guess??

(NOTE: yes,,, I tried pre-heating the coffee mug,,, )
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Having just finished my morning coffee,, I just remembered another aspect of DIY coffee I still need to resolve.

THE CONTAINER!

I am now using ceramic cups for my coffee,, WRONG!!
    the coffee is cold in literally under 5 minutes.

I can stop at a gas station, get their coffee,, (which is served at the initial same temperature)
    and the gas station coffee stays a great temperature for a half hour.

So, right now,, I have 5 minutes to consume the DIY coffee,, or toss it,,

I gotta get some cups and lids at Sams Club,, I guess??

(NOTE: yes,,, I tried pre-heating the coffee mug,,, )
    I set my mug on top of my coffee maker while it is working. Helps somwhat because my cabinets are on an outside wall in a 100 year old house.

When in my truck I have a $7 Walmart clone of those fancy expensive Yeti things. It will keep my coffee warm for 2 hours. The thing is amazing. I usually have to put a couple ice cubes in it for “gas station” coffee or I can’t drink it for 45 minutes.

Ozark Trail 20-Ounce Double-Wall, Vacuum-Sealed Tumbler - Walmart.com

Ozark Trail 30-Ounce Double-Wall, Vacuum-Sealed Tumbler - Walmart.com
    JD4044M likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    When I think of German products, I think quality engineering. Except Krups. From a bowl shaped carafe with water level marks evenly spaced (think about that for a while. Draw a picture if you must.) to espresso makers that don't generate enough pressure to push water through coffee ground for espresso, I have had enough of anything with the Krups name on it.

While the coffee maker is really important, a quality burr grinder is equally necessary to up your coffee game. A good grinder can cost as much as a decent espresso maker.

Keep opened ground coffee in the freezer if you're not going to consume the whole package within a few days.

Al
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    "It's gotta be a on-stove percolator or nothing"... that is until I received a Keurig (means "the best" in Dutch) from my wife's relatives. I'll never look back! I need to have coffee pennies will float in or I did because the flavor was just not there. After trying different Kcups with "manly, strong sounding titles" I finally found Starbuck's French Roast Dark has what I want in flavor and power.

Now Wifey on the other hand makes her "froufrou mix" using an inferior Maxwell House Kcup with Bailey's "Mudslide" coffee creamer, half and half and tops it off with canned whip cream. (Cats hang very close for a dab of whip when she makes coffee!) She never drank coffee at all until we got the Keurig machine.

I believe my machine is just under $100, 3 levels of delivery, no clock or auto start... just great coffee AND it makes cocoa, tea (in Kcup pod or simple hot water for bags). In about 15 seconds I can get a coffee or a Grove Square "Salted Caramel" cocoa, a great choice after coming in from outside stuff.

I've had it since August '17 with no problems. I "suscribe" my Starbucks coffee from Amazon and the case of 4 boxes is here by the 27th of each month. You can take out the "normal" mug/cup holder insert and put a travel mug in it, mine holds 2 cups.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    I can't help with the Breville, except to say it gets good reviews, and it has the conical burr grinder built in so that part is covered.

I have a couple ways to make latte's and/or cappuccino's.

At home I have a Quick Mill Vetrano 2B. It has dual PID controlled boilers and a commercial rotary pump. With that I have a separate grinder. You have to drink a lot to pay for that setup, but I love it.

In the motorhome I have a Nespresso Citiz ($209). It works like a Keurig, but it brews espresso rather than coffee. You have to buy the pods from Nespresso (or Amazon), but the espresso is very good. With that I use an Aerolatte frothing jug in the microwave to warm the milk ($13) and an Aerolatte To Go Frother ($17) to make the foam.

Starting out, that's what I would do. Once you get into it we can talk about how to roast your own coffee beans.

Amazon.com: Nespresso CitiZ Espresso Machine by De Kitchen
    Amazon.com: aerolatte Microwave Milk Frothing Jug: Electric Milk Frothers: Kitchen Dining
    Amazon.com: Aerolatte 002 Milk Frother To Go with Travel Storage Case, The Original Steam-Free Frother, Black: Electric Milk Frothers: Kitchen Dining
    psrumors and AlKozak like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ga80486 For This Useful Post:

psrumors (01-15-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    I travelled through Europe extensively for business and worked for an EU based company for a while. Europeans love their coffee and they love Nespresso machines. Every office has one.

Al
    mark02tj likes this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I set my mug on top of my coffee maker while it is working. Helps somwhat because my cabinets are on an outside wall in a 100 year old house.

When in my truck I have a $7 Walmart clone of those fancy expensive Yeti things. It will keep my coffee warm for 2 hours. The thing is amazing. I usually have to put a couple ice cubes in it for “gas station” coffee or I can’t drink it for 45 minutes.

Ozark Trail 20-Ounce Double-Wall, Vacuum-Sealed Tumbler - Walmart.com

Ozark Trail 30-Ounce Double-Wall, Vacuum-Sealed Tumbler - Walmart.com
    My "save the planet" youngest daughter got tired of seeing me drink out of disposable foam cups and got me one of those for Christmas. Pretty amazing!! I brewed a cup full yesterday morning around 10:00 and headed out. Ran a couple of errands and then headed to the hospital to visit someone. I was sipping all along the way. Took a final sip at 11:00 before walking into the hospital. Came back out at 12:40 and it was still warm (not hot, but warm enough to drink without wanting to spit it out!). That was sitting in my truck in 28* cold January weather in Ohio!!

I won't go into all of the dumb reasons why, but back in October or November I switched over to using K-Cups in my coffee maker. I got tired of having to watch them go on sale at the grocery, and even "on sale", a cup of coffee was roughly $.55 or so. Two cups a day = $35/month for coffee. Not quite as bad as going to the gas station, but I am pretty cheap. I bought a couple of the reusable filters and hated rinsing them out in the sink. After looking a while, I came across this setup and really like it! I also bought this coffee scoop to go with it. The filters are compostable if you are the type that wants to put coffee grounds in your garden. Nice little setup and I can use whatever dark coffees that I like in the filters. The coffee also tastes better than the K-cups that I was buying.

===========

Sorry - none of that was relevant to the OP's quest for an espresso maker. I've only had a few cups of espresso and never had a latte'. I like my coffee dark roasted and black.
    coaltrain likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements