Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Cad software advice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks

Cad software advice

So Iím sure many members know or use cad software for design. My previous job involved a bit of inspecting existing cad files in 2d. Now I need to learn it it create 3d fixtures with liberal tolerances. I build something, then put it in cad for proterity. Any suggestions for freeware to learn, and or tutorials?
    Last edited by rydplrs; 01-17-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    Herminator and Mike265 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    I'm sorry I can't contribute anything concerning the free packages out there however on machining forums I remember folks saying there are indeed some good free systems.
    I have to use systems that can post cnc machine language from the drawings or solid models, I have Surfcam and Mastercam at work, and they have a drawing package in them as part of their product.
    I have heard that even in my situation I should probably design and draw in Solidworks and import the files into my cam package and derive my machine code because Solidworks seems to be the premium design software for its cost.

I don't understand why your employer does not recognize the value and return that would be gained by paying for modern well supported software for you to use?

The investment made by my employer has been infinitely valuable to them. It has allowed us to produce much more complicated products that would have been unfeasible without it.

As a bonus I can design press tooling and dies and such that do not flow through the cnc departmental production schedule.
    rydplrs and Herminator like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I'm sorry I can't contribute anything concerning the free packages out there however on machining forums I remember folks saying there are indeed some good free systems.
    I have to use systems that can post cnc machine language from the drawings or solid models, I have Surfcam and Mastercam at work, and they have a drawing package in them as part of their product.
    I have heard that even in my situation I should probably design and draw in Solidworks and import the files into my cam package and derive my machine code because Solidworks seems to be the premium design software for its cost.

I don't understand why your employer does not recognize the value and return that would be gained by paying for modern well supported software for you to use?

The investment made by my employer has been infinitely valuable to them. It has allowed us to produce much more complicated products that would have been unfeasible without it.

As a bonus I can design press tooling and dies and such that do not flow through the cnc departmental production schedule.
    My employer will support the software cost and learning.

My job involves minimizing costs. Iíll learn on and off the clock if that exists on salary, as I like to learn.

Due to scale I think I might find as good or better advice here simply because as many members know cad as we have total employees. I have been having things made from napkin sketches without a hint of complaint from the machine shop Iíve dealt with. Iíve had to note this drawing is horrible, feature x should be centered.

Solidworks is a good suggestion. Iíll look into it.
    Herminator likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    I went to a local community college and took night classes for cad.. You will also have access to the software as part of your classes...
    1988 John Deere 265 with 46" mower deck, Power Flow Bagger, Dethatcher, 1976 John Deere 100 with 34" mower deck,

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    I have wanted to try one of the eBay 3D CAD software offerings,,

This is the under $15 ones,,, that is over 250 offerings,,

3d cad software | eBay

then,, there are over 250 that are over $15,,,

Surely something there would be adequate,, the trick is picking one,,,

After the Superbowl,, I may try a couple,,,

Also, I just checked,, there are a bunch of offerings on Amazon also,,, Hmmmmmmmmm,,

There has to be a favorite software that is supporting all the 3D printers that are being sold cheap,,
    So many people are making 3D parts with the 3D printers, there must be some easy to use 3D CAD supporting all of the designs.

There are WAY more 3D printers than old school 3D CAD designers,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Try Google sketchup...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    rydplrs likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    There are WAY more 3D printers than old school 3D CAD designers,,,
    This is something I have been puzzling over.
    Many folks carrying on about how additive manufacturing is going to take over and many folks buying printers for fun at home and in the workshop but many solid models are very, very difficult (for me anyway) to construct (complexity dependent).
    I just can't picture folks buying the printer and just printing anything they want?
    rydplrs likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    There are a few cheap options out there for actual CAD work, the trouble comes when you want to do 3d.
    Draftsight is ok for 2d, but unless you buy it, there is no 3d functionality. Since I havent bought it, I cant say how the 3d works.
    Its not expensive as far as CAD software goes.
    Google Sketchup is a decent option too.
    They all have their quirks, and the only way to get used to them is to use them. Starting out on your own, and teaching yourself any software like this is going to take some time. You also are likely to miss out on some tips/tricks that may be huge time savers, or some software may have a shortcut or tool that another wont. How do you know which? I guess you either have to use them or find someone who has and get their opinion...but lots of guys use one thing and generally stick to it.

Autodesks AutoCAD is the top of the heap, but its really costly too. This is what I learned on in school and used at my last two employers, one a conveyor manufacturer, the other a curtain wall manufacturer.
    If you want all 3d, Inventor would be better, but still Autodesk and still expensive.
    When I was searching for one for personal use, I searched "Autodesk AutoCAD alternative" and it turned up several good options.
    If you plan to use your drawings with other software, you want to avoid anything that uses a proprietary file format. You want a software that saves .DWG and .DXF files at the least.

I will say that if you havent learned a specific software yet, get something like Inventor or a 3d only program.
    I learned a while back when 2d Autocad was about all there was, then learned some 3d in Autocad. These days, they skip the Autocad and go straight to Inventor (all 3d).
    Its hard for some of us old time drafters to learn a second or third software just to do one particular thing like 3d, but they are pretty cool, with all the power they have for editing parts, that the old way of 3d in Autocad just cant touch.
    This is generally more handy on large assemblies with many different assemblies making up one big one, as you can make a change to one part, and it will change them all down the line. Its still handy, just not quite as much, on smaller stuff.

All that said, the best thing you can do, if you arent tied to one particular that you like, is to go get trials for a few you think you might like. Then pick a simple drawing, or a complicated one, depending on what you want to find out, and have at it.
    Youll find out pretty quick what you like and dont like about them!
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    This is something I have been puzzling over.
    Many folks carrying on about how additive manufacturing is going to take over and many folks buying printers for fun at home and in the workshop but many solid models are very, very difficult (for me anyway) to construct (complexity dependent).
    I just can't picture folks buying the printer and just printing anything they want?
    Depends on your skill with the software I guess.
    A guy good with a true 3d software can draw any part he wants, as long as he can figure out the measurements.
    My trouble with it is that I am much more familiar with the old way of doing 3d drawings, using a "normal" CAD program in 3d. Its much easier and faster to use something like Inventor instead of AutoCAD (speaking only of Autodesk products) to produce the same part in 3d, but Im not NEARLY as familiar with Inventor as I am with AutoCAD, so its faster for me the other way. The trouble is, Inventor makes editing the finished part much simpler, and if its a complex part, that can be the difference between 30 minutes modifying it and a few days redrawing the whole thing.
    Ive found in my jobs, the younger guys coming in know a WHOLE lot more about 3d and Inventor and similar software than the previous bunch.
    So much so that they have no trouble drawing very complex parts and assemblies right out of the gate. Its a whole different world these days vs 10-15 years ago.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:14 AM
    Thanks
    Been eons since I messed with 3D Cad, but TurboCad was pretty decent. And they had a very active and helpful forum.
    Kennyd, rydplrs, Jeff B and 2 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast