Tried to sell Snow Blower-New owner said it is broke...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Tried to sell Snow Blower-New owner said it is broke...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks

Tried to sell Snow Blower-New owner said it is broke...

So, with the purchase of the 1025 with a blower, and a Craftsman rider with a blower, this one was just sitting in the barn up north. Figured I might as well sell it. So, put it on Craigslist. Had several low ball offers I rejected. Kept trying though. With a couple big snows at home, figured it would sell. Had one guy offer me $200, but never showed up.

Then I got this last offer at $300. Guy showed up on time with cash. English was not his first language, and didn't understand things I was trying to tell him like he needed to raise the skid shoes if he was going to be using this on a sidewalk or blacktop. I had them set high for the gravel driveway. He just wasn't getting it. I fired it up and showed it blow a little snow off the grass. He seamed happy, gave me the money and I helped him load it up. I thought the tailgate on his pickup was going to fall off. I really don't know what was keeping it on. His bed was full of snow and bags of aluminum cans.

So, I was happy to sell it, and even started to look at what I could spend the cash on. (For Johnny of course).

Then I get the text while I'm out plowing snow. "Snowblower not working".

Ok..., I ask if he is holding handles down for auger drive? Are the shear pins still in shaft? Are the cables still attached to handles?-have had them spin off. He just replies "I return snowblower, I'm Sorry"

Now the quandary, do I have him bring it back so I can check to see what he may be doing wrong, or broke in transit?

Or do you walk away and say I'm not a big box store with a return policy.

What is even worse, this has happened before with me selling something on Craigslist. Other time it was a snowmobile. He didn't have it 1 hour and called me. It was running, but wouldn't move. He was close, so I ran over there. As soon as I grabbed the reverse handle, it had too much play in it. I knew right away the chain came off inside the drive. But in that case, I had been in there changing bearings, so I knew it was my fault. I returned his money and took sled back. Then fixed the bearing I put on backwards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noma Blower Rotated.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	669498
    MDrew, OxPath, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    2018 1025R FIL 120R with Mauser Cab
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    BB2048L Box Blade
    AP10F 42" Pallet Fork
    AV20F 53" Root Grapple
    54" Front Snow Blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    If he didn't damage it in the short time he had it, Id just give him the money back and be done with him. Otherwise, you'll be married to this guy and his lofty expectations. As it seems by your story he knows where you live, do you want to come home 2 months from now with him sitting there complaining that something broke / wore out? You sold him a not-new snow blower at a not-new price. Let him spend double and bring his complaints to someone else.
    Tomfive, Zebrafive, MDrew and 2 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    If he didn't damage it in the short time he had it, Id just give him the money back and be done with him. Otherwise, you'll be married to this guy and his lofty expectations. As it seems by your story he knows where you live, do you want to come home 2 months from now with him sitting there complaining that something broke / wore out? You sold him a not-new snow blower at a not-new price. Let him spend double and bring his complaints to someone else.
    ^^^ What he said.

You'll find another buyer in short order.
    Tomfive and Toughsox like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Married to him, sounds appropriate...
    Definitely not the equipment operator type and he may just straight be having financial regret and it is still fine.
    Better get it back from him before he runs his dog over or looses a hand or worse.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Thanks
    Yikes. If it was me I’d give his money back and check the snowblower over AFTER he left. Most likely it’s fine.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Herminator likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Snow Blower, what snow blower? That was a roto tiller, no wonder it won't blow snow......

Cavet' EMPTOR baby.................

freaking Craigs List, read under rocks everywhere by those who expect everything for nothing..................

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    I hate selling stuff on Craigslist just foe this sort of thing.

About 10 years ago I swapped out the OEM radio/CD player in my F250 for a nice Alpine unit. I listed the OEM unit on Craigslist and some guy from an hour away offers me $30 for it. Fine. Come and get it!

So he shows up 2 hours later hands me teh $30 and off he goes. Then not but 30 minutes later he calls me up and says the CD player portion doesn't work. Wants his money back. Whatever. Not sure how he managed to get home n hour away and swap it out to test it already but...

So less than 10 minutes later he's back at my door with the radio in his hand looking for his $30. I put my hand out and he hands me the radio. I flip it over and it isn't the one I sold him. Little did he know but I had engraved my name into the bottom of the unit! So I ask him where the unit is that I sold him. His jaw drops and then he starts sputtering about hos this is it. So I grab a flashlight and tell him ti take me to his truck. We pull the unit out of his dash, I flip it over and show him my name engraved in the bottom of it. His plan was to keep mine unit and "return" his busted unit to get his money back.

I threw the other unit into the bed of his truck and told him he had 30 seconds to get out of my driveway before I called the cops and had him arrested. He quit arguing at that point and took off.

Now the only time I list things on there is if I'm listing them in the free section.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Herminator (01-28-2019)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Little did he know but I had engraved my name into the bottom of the unit! .
    Smart man, this Jim guy.
    MDrew, Oscar Leroy and Herminator like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks
    Salvageyards will mark what they sell, if it comes back they know it's what they sold. I am sure some try to return their junk for a refund.
    MDrew and Herminator like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    Smart man, this Jim guy.
    It's an old habit I picked up while in the military. Stuff got stolen from the barracks all the time. They always told everyone to engrave a unique identifier into everything of value that you owned so it could be identified if stolen. Some habits die hard.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast