Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Well I don't want to buy a TV but

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Well I don't want to buy a TV but

I do have one I'd like to give away, so I was wondering if anybody here has had this same problem.
    Now folks this isn't just any old TV, It's one of those Toshiba 55 inch projection TV's that weighs about 150 lbs.
    I thought I might be able to get a few bucks for it but no dice. It has a good picture but it gets a little dark during low light scenes. So I've tried to give it away- same deal. Even the scrappers don't want them anymore. i could use it for ballast
    on the 2032r if it wasn't so bulky .
    We did buy a 65 inch LED job that I can lift with one hand, with a picture you need to wear sunglasses to watch.
    So if anyone out there has any suggestions I haven't heard, or maybe I have, shout em out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kinsey (167).JPG   Kinsey (163).JPG  
    Growing old is hell but it beats the alternative!

2018 2032r brand new with 270B backhoe and 220R loader.
    Worksaver ETG-26JD Grapple on the way.

1967 Chevy short stepside
    1974 Corvette convertible
    1995 Harley FXDWG.
    1965 Harley 883 Sportster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddysDream View Post
    So if anyone out there has any suggestions I haven't heard, or maybe I have, shout em out.
    I suspect your only option is the only remaining option we have around here. Find out where the local electronic recycling depot is and take it there. Around here we are no longer permitted to put ANYTHING electronic in the weekly trash and the only recycling depot within reasonable driving distance charges $0.50 / pound. Just a couple months ago I paid to dispose of my last heavy electronic item. Our township has an annual free cleanup day where you are allowed one pickup load or one trailer load of just about anything except hazardous waste. They also stopped accepting electronics two years ago. It's no wonder you see old TVs laying on the side of the road. :-(
    glc, Zebrafive, jdforever and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

DaddysDream (01-29-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    I had a 60" Toshiba exactly like yours. We only swapped it out because as you know, l its a beast.
    When we had no friends or family that would take it off our hands for free, we actually put it out at the curb, where I actually put a sign on it saying 'FREE, WORKS GREAT", and even taped the remote and manual for it to the side. And yet, it sat there for 3 days until they came and picked it up on BULK day for garbage.
    Such a shame but, people want those thin Tvs these days. Cant say I blame them because, thats exactly what we did.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    we actually put it out at the curb, where I actually put a sign on it saying 'FREE, WORKS GREAT" .... And yet, it sat there for 3 days until they came and picked it up on BULK day for garbage.
    I made that same mistake. I once put 4 aluminum wheels with tires on the curb with a sign that said FREE. They sat there over a week. I changed the FREE sign to one that said $50 and they were gone the next day.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    I put stuff at the end of the driveway all the time.. it usually don't last long. If something is still there in the morning it goes to the dump.. A few weeks ago I wanted someone to haul an old toilet to the dump for me. I posted a ad on facebook and asked for someone to do the run for $20..I listed I had an old generator and other stuff as well.. I took the first guy on the list and he was happy to do it for me. By the time he left we filled half his pickup.. I don't bother selling on craigslist.. I just want stuff gone. I was going to put my old murray lawn tractor out on the street and a neighbor talked me into giving it another neighbor.. he drove it off and went and cut his grass. I was just happy I didn't have to work on it anymore...
    1988 John Deere 265 with 46" mower deck, Power Flow Bagger, Dethatcher, 1976 John Deere 100 with 34" mower deck,

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    I made that same mistake. I once put 4 aluminum wheels with tires on the curb with a sign that said FREE. They sat there over a week. I changed the FREE sign to one that said $50 and they were gone the next day.
    That is funny I did a electrical job once and replaced a bunch of base board heaters and the home owner wondered what to do with the old ones? I put them in the boxes taped the ends and wrote "Do Not Take" and sat them in there alley way out back they were gone that night. Works every time!!

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    Where's Snow White and the dwarfs going to live?
    BigJim55 and Oscar Leroy like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Thanks
    You could try:

- Freecycle.org - Sign up and put up a post to give it away
    - The "free" section of craigslist.com
    - Goodwill donation
    - Offer to a Senior Center or similar
    - Check with local real estate agents to see if they have a possible recipient it could be donated to
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 2,188 Posts
    I have issues with stuff like this all the time. Can’t get rid of stuff.

Our township will only take weekly trash if it is in bags.

Once a year they have their “clean up day”. But they charge $20 for a pickup load - no matter if you only have one item. Every few years I collect enough to go. Had an old 32” tube type TV. Nope - won’t take it. So what am I supposed to do with it? There is no recycling type place anywhere around here.

The township came up with this great clean up program to stop people from throwing appliances over the bank on the back roads. But they don’t take appliances or electronics.......

I also now have 2 LED TVs that I can’t get rid of. We upgraded to larger ones over the last couple years. Only use 1 TV. I would give them away to someone half deserving just to get rid of them.

Also now have a washing machine sitting behind the barn.

The only way I have come up with to get rid of stuff is to dismantle it and/or crush/smash it with my loader to fit it into garbage bags. Looks like I will be doing that with the washing machine and TVs this spring.
    glc likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    Also see that you have a backhoe?????

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com