Private snow plow drivers - - WHY?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Private snow plow drivers - - WHY?

  1. Top | #1
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,497
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts

    Private snow plow drivers - - WHY?

    Drove out the local 2-lane rural road yesterday to drop off a few things and what do I see coming towards me? A dude in a pickup truck with a giant snow plow on the front (raised up) with both ends extending past the lane lines. He didn't have it angled at all... full on perpendicular. I had to move to the right out of my lane slightly as the plow end was clearly over the yellow line.

    Not sure which is worse... this or them driving 70 MPH on the Interstate.

    Why? What is wrong with these folks?
    glc, DRobinson, Tomfive and 9 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jdmich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 AM
    Location
    North/East of Davison, Michigan
    Posts
    3,341
    Thanks
    527
    Thanked 325 Times in 253 Posts
    Same thing happen yesterday to me. Guy had it straight and was hanging over yellow line. Probably can’t angle it or it will drag and the plow look way to big for the truck, and looked like the back tires were barely on the ground. Another pet peeve of mine it when the push snow across the road
    glc, Tomfive, OxPath and 7 others like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

    2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

  4. Top | #3
    jdforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Location
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Posts
    1,571
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked 431 Times in 279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Drove out the local 2-lane rural road yesterday to drop off a few things and what do I see coming towards me? A dude in a pickup truck with a giant snow plow on the front (raised up) with both ends extending past the lane lines. He didn't have it angled at all... full on perpendicular. I had to move to the right out of my lane slightly as the plow end was clearly over the yellow line.

    Not sure which is worse... this or them driving 70 MPH on the Interstate.

    Why? What is wrong with these folks?
    Sad thing is that he's probably thinking, who's this guy coming toward me? Dosen't he know to get out of he!! out of my way?
    glc, DRobinson, Tomfive and 10 others like this.
    Greg

    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

    2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,672
    Thanks
    1,542
    Thanked 573 Times in 382 Posts
    I have learned over the years to move over for the County Plows you never win. I have a love for the County Plow Drivers out there running the trucks full of sand and big a$$ blade on the front blowing snow off the road for me. Nearer us I will park to let the guy keep going and not mess up a good push pattern. I always look for signs of them going home to see how much fun I can have the rest of the way. Plus I might meet one coming down from our hill. Lot of the privet plow guys around here bought a plow but don't know how to use one. Our county drivers are good with there plow trucks till a much smaller thing try's to pass one at the wrong time. Most of our drivers are local kids who know the roads growing up.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-01-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    glc, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,552
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 853 Times in 650 Posts
    This is becoming a bigger problem. Back when I first drove a pickup with a plow (late 70s!) a 7.5' plow was the standard. Then all the cities/towns started demanding that you have an 8' plow for any municipal contracts. Now (in my area away) they want a 9' plow minimum and I see lots of guys with 10' plows. Most of these guys have a hard enough time keeping their truck in their lane as it is. Now they've got an extra foot of plow hanging off both sides of the truck to go with it. We've had 2 people in the greater Boston area killed in the last 2 or 3 days when they got hit by plows driving past them.
    glc, etcallhome, jgayman and 11 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    eyeboltman (02-01-2019)

  9. Top | #6
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,497
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I have learned over the years to move over for the County Plows you never win. I have a love for the County Plow Drivers out there running the trucks full of sand and big a$$ blade on the front blowing snow off the road for me. Nearer us I will park to let the guy keep going and not mess up a good push pattern. I always look for signs of them going home to see how much fun I can have the rest of the way. Plus I might meet one coming down from our hill. Lot of the privet plow guys around here bought a plow but don't know how to use one. Our county drivers are good with there plow trucks till a much smaller thing try's to pass one at the wrong time. Most of our drivers are local kids who know the roads growing up.
    This was not a guy who was plowing the public road. He was a private yeah-who who runs around plowing peoples driveways. He obviously didn't know how to adjust his equipment for safe travelling among other vehicles.
    glc, DRobinson, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  10. Top | #7
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,672
    Thanks
    1,542
    Thanked 573 Times in 382 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    This was not a guy who was plowing the public road. He was a private yeah-who who runs around plowing peoples driveways. He obviously didn't know how to adjust his equipment for safe travelling among other vehicles.
    I have seen the privet guys blades just a inch above the road on a angle knowing it is going to hit something. Those drivers scare me to when they don't know how wide there blade is past the sides!

  11. Top | #8
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,226
    Thanks
    3,231
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,550 Posts
    IMO The only thing these private operators see is when it snows. They spent all this money for a snow plow , majority of them thing they can make a ton of money. They have no idea of how to setup their equipment or care to learn how to take of there of equipment. Most of them have no respect for the persons property they are plowing.

    Just my 2 cents
    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  12. Top | #9
    PJR832's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    10,906
    Thanks
    1,845
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    IMO The only thing these private operators see is when it snows. They spent all this money for a snow plow , majority of them thing they can make a ton of money. They have no idea of how to setup their equipment or care to learn how to take of there of equipment. Most of them have no respect for the persons property they are plowing.

    Just my 2 cents
    This sums it up perfectly IMO, and then they go and put an amber caution lite on the roof and think it's their right just to back out into oncoming traffic.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

  13. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Location
    North New Jersey
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked 143 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    IMO The only thing these private operators see is when it snows. They spent all this money for a snow plow , majority of them thing they can make a ton of money. They have no idea of how to setup their equipment or care to learn how to take of there of equipment. Most of them have no respect for the persons property they are plowing.

    Just my 2 cents
    And the shame of it is, they dont have a clue how much extra wear & tear they are putting on those shiny new trucks of theirs. As a gov't fleet mechanic for well over 30 years, the amount of damage just from NORMAL use is astounding. Now add to that mix the inexperienced person sitting behind the wheel and, their trucks become so out of whack, frame-wise, is not something they thought of when those dollar signs started rolling around in their head.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For Those Old Truck Drivers--Extreme Trucks
    By ddinham in forum Trucks, Trailers, & Towing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2015, 04:59 PM
  2. Thank God! They're gonna crack down on these drivers
    By Superglidesport in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 06-24-2015, 03:47 PM
  3. No women drivers...
    By vtail in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 07:00 AM
  4. No women drivers...
    By vtail in forum Sub Compact Utility Tractors (SCUT)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 08:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •