• 2 Post By mark02tj

Thread: Finally out of Prison!!!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

Finally out of Prison!!!

J/K!

Following the dog bite of December 2017, I was supposed to limit my use of my right hand so the tendon could heal. Well, it healed and I still have some residual damage, but we also discovered I still have or am regenerating carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist along with some arthritis that's progressing quickly enough to be alarming. My MRI follow up consult is Tuesday morning, so we'll see what Doc says.

In addition to my medical woes, my laptop harddrive developed a bad sector in the operating system files, so it's been dead for a long time. When the laptop crashed, I took a bit of a hiatus from forums as a whole, since reading/posting via my phone is taxing.

As you may remember, 2017 was pretty bad with my clinical depression, and I'm happy to report my shrink and I are taking a break that's been going on for about 5 months. I'm not cured. I'm not stoned out of my gourd on psychotropics either. I'm just at a point where I can keep the demons in check without needing to flesh them out with a Dr. And that's a much better place to be than where I was.

I got a PM a while back asking about Vinnie. He's enjoying our return to regularly scheduled Winter after the past week's diversion into hostile territory (temp wise). That had been giving him a bit of cabin fever, but he was able to play with the neighbor girls (Rosie and Wren) last night; which certainly helped.

HP won't provide me with a win 7 repair disk without paying them, and MS won't let me download it because it was bundled with the laptop. I've had a new harddrive a couple months, but my computer still isn't fixed. I probably won't be around much until after the snow's gone, but figured I'd drop in and say Hi.
    Kennyd, glc, etcallhome and 22 others like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (02-04-2019), DRobinson (02-02-2019), Herminator (02-02-2019), johnH123 (02-02-2019), mark02tj (02-02-2019), Oscar Leroy (02-02-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Nice to hear from you,hang in there and keep your spirits up.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks

Glad you are improving

It's good to hear you are improving. Hopefully the depression and computer woes will both be further on the mend. My son would say just get something like Ubuntu and load on your new hard drive instead of Windows as it's free, stable and supposedly works well.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My dad gave us an old laptop with linux on it as a test-drive to see if it was time to make the switch, and it works well enough most of the time but isn't my cup-o-tea.

We also have windows 10 on the Mrs' and kiddo's desktop, and I theoretically could install it on my laptop as that key was registered back when they were forcibly downloading it "for us", but even with Classic Shell, I really don't like Win 10. It's too "Applefied" for this guy (who really didn't think there was anything wrong with XP Pro ).
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    , I really don't like Win 10. It's too "Applefied" for this guy (who really didn't think there was anything wrong with XP Pro ).
    Me either. Don’t get me wrong I love my iPhone and iPad. I never use an Apple PC because I like windows and it seems like Microsoft is forcing me to take a look at Apple. If I have to learn a new way what difference does it make.

By the way, welcome back. I was thinking a couple weeks ago it had been a while since we heard from you.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I hate to say it, but sometimes a break from the Psychiatirsts is just what you need. My sister battles with depression and anxiety and has had periods of time where she was admitted for care at a well respected Mental Health Hospital in a large metropolitan area. Each time she has been there, the number one goal of the facility is to get her meds straightened out, which means reducing the numbers of them and the strength and frequency of taking them. Each time, she exits the facility vastly improved. Then, eventually, the local Psychiatrists start loading her up again and I see the trouble coming and sure enough, they have her on way too many meds.

Many people, who haven't dealt with Psychiatrists and Psychologists are under the wrong impression with how they really treat people. I think they believe the stuff they see on TV's and in the movies. In reality, the Psychiatrists are the prescribers of meds and they usually spend just a few minutes with the patient each month. The sessions are largely "So, how are you doing" while the Psychiatrists is hardly listening and already writing out the next RX scripts. They "Uh huh, uh huh, well, let me know if you need anything" and send the patient out the door.

Psychologists can't prescribe meds and they are the ones who often do therapy sessions. Often, they are in disagreement with the actions and prescriptions written by the Psychiatrists. Also, often a "Licensed Counselor or Social Worker" is involved in the therapy sessions as they are less expensive than the Psychologists.

To be brutally honest, our mental health care in America is A MESS........It's nearly impossible to get someone inpatient care that needs it if they resist and the practices of focusing most care on "Outpatient care" doesn't work for those who need help the most as they often can't / won't / don't show up for therapy or treatment for a wide range of reasons. Plus they have trouble getting the meds prescribed to them, often due to cost and so many people start "self treating" themselves with alcohol and illegal drugs, because both are far easier to get and far less costly.

Bottom line, Jim Timber, I am glad to hear you are doing well and recognize the progress you have made with your depression. Sadly, many men won't talk about depression as they fear what others might think or that somehow, admitting a problem is some form of a weakness. It's simply not the case. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and it's not any different than people who have diabetes because of their family history, etc.

No one would want to deal with depression, if given the choice. You have done the right thing and recognize the need to treat depression as the illness it is, just make sure if you start to see the shift coming back on, or your family brings it to your attention, make sure to see a professional and keep the depression under control and managed.

Also glad to heat that Vinnie is doing well. I bet he wants to get out and play and soon he will, when it warms back up......

I have had the carpal tunnel surgery and also the "trigger finger" surgeries and they are very helpful and not difficult nor really painful. What a difference it made. Plus they have great injections to help with the pain and many forms of arthritis. Do what you can to keep moving and using the hand and fingers within the limits the doctors give you because the less you move your hand and fingers, the less useful it will become very quickly.

Stay strong and keep your chin up.....
    arlen, Zebrafive, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Thanks
    Good to hear from you again!

I resisted anything past Windows XP for quite a while, well, until 2 years ago I had nothing but XP. Nowadays though, Im going Windows 10 Pro on everything.
    Once you get used to it, its really not that different from XP or even more so, Windows 7.
    I had some issues at first, but once I figured out where stuff was, I actually think I like it more than Xp. The biggest issue I have is that one of my old programs wont work on anything but XP, and its REALLY expensive to replace, so I just do without. I didnt use it a lot lately, but also havent tried to run it in compatibility mode either. Might try that.
    Regardless, it might not be all that bad for you to switch.
    I had built it up in my mind to be way worse than it was. One of my recent drafting jobs used all Windows 10 computers, so I had no choice. After that, I wondered what Id made all the fuss in my mind about. Without too many details, I obsess over things, worry, stress, etc, all add up to what I self diagnose as mild depression, and at times more than mild, though luckily for me my wife is a great sounding board for whatever is going on and I havent had to resort to any other "professional" help. Side note: while some of them know their stuff and can actually help, it is my opinion that most dont help at all. When I was pretty young, I had to go see someone, and they made things worse. I found that just talking to my friends and doing things that made me feel better helped MUCH more than those guys ever did.
    Anyway, back to the computers, the biggest thing is to get a clean install without all the bloatware that comes with factory installed operating systems. Thats why I always built my own computers, but its gotten much easier to remove most of that nonsense so its not as big a deal as it used to be, as long as it can be removed.
    mark02tj, jdforever and Herminator like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,357 Posts
    When I read the title, I thought perhaps I had missed a thread or 20, if you had actually gone down the road to "end up in prison". Glad it's more of a figure of speech and not an actual incarceration........

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    When I read the title, I thought perhaps I had missed a thread or 20, if you had actually gone down the road to "end up in prison". Glad it's more of a figure of speech and not an actual incarceration........
    It was just a catchy headline which could be assumed plausible as to why I haven't been around.

I've had 4 wrist and elbow surgeries for nerve impingement issues. Both hands were suffering full blown CTS to the point of wasting thumb muscles. Those were done back in 2012. My left thumb still doesn't look like my right.

My medical team at the VA is actually top notch. The LNP who does my meds is only concerned with results. I'm only on Cymbalta, which is also used for chronic pain (which I certainly have plenty of), and some BP meds along with alergy meds. My "shrink" is a licensed social worker with half the alphabet after his name. We were doing weekly 1.5hr sessions when I started in 2017, then dropped to 1hr, then dropped to 2wks, then monthly. All based on my desire, not his. I just got to a place I don't think he can guide me out of. I need to somehow move on with where my choices got me, and make the best of it.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Timber For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (02-04-2019), mark02tj (02-02-2019)

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Hey Jim!!! GREAT to hear from you!! You really had me worried after you dropped off the forum. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better!! Don't be a stranger here now that you're back.

Rub Vinnie's belly for me!!
    BigJim55 and Oscar Leroy like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements