Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Blue Buffalo — Allergy Warning

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:07 PM
    Thanks

Blue Buffalo — Allergy Warning

As always happens you find a good dog food and a few years latter a big guy buys them and trashes the product to drive profits.

Our one pup is poultry sensitive so for years we have used a Blue Buffalo food that had no chicken / poultry products. Well the front of the bag still says that. Bud started breaking out with red sores on his belly and we were trying to figure it out.

Hence we looked at the ingredients we had not looked at in years only to find our friends at General Mills have trashed the food. I guess Turkey meal is not a poultry meal and chicken fat is not a chicken product.

Now we have to find a food he can eat again and that hopefully the company isn’t sold for the years he has left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28937976-D9F1-491B-8BA0-56AF1BF53AC9.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	553.6 KB 
ID:	670750

Name:	9E2E8B33-57C0-462D-ADE8-A60677B2CF2D.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	813.8 KB 
ID:	670752
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeagerHair View Post
    As always happens you find a good dog food and a few years latter a big guy buys them and trashes the product to drive profits.

Our one pup is poultry sensitive so for years we have used a Blue Buffalo food that had no chicken / poultry products. Well the front of the bag still says that. Bud started breaking out with red sores on his belly and we were trying to figure it out.

Hence we looked at the ingredients we had not looked at in years only to find our friends at General Mills have trashed the food. I guess Turkey meal is not a poultry meal and chicken fat is not a chicken product.

Now we have to find a food he can eat again and that hopefully the company isn’t sold for the years he has left.
    In general, food safety and quality is taken very seriously by EU and NA food manufacturers and ingredient suppliers, including animal feed. Not so with anything from a good chunk of Asia, especially China and India.

General Mills is a supplier that cares about taking care. I would call them and ask. That doesn't seem right. It's not like turkey meal and chicken fat don't contain poultry proteins (which is what triggers the allergy).

Al
    OxPath and Herminator like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    Can you get Blue Seal where you are? They make an awesome series of food products for dogs called Entrust. Amazon carries them, but they get $10/bag more than my feed store sells it for. Chewy likely carries it as well, but I'm sure their price is also up there as either has to pay shipping. We have 6 large breed dogs and have been feeding them this for years. My guys seem to like the Pork and Barley recipe best. They also have a reward program, if you buy 12 bags and save the UPC and send them in, you will get a coupon for a free bag. We go thru 3-4 bags a month. Good Luck!
    EnTrust Dog Foods - Blue Seal
    OxPath and Herminator like this.
    Randy
    New: 2017 JD 2032R. R3 turf, 220R FEL with Single Point, 7-iron 60D MMM, Artillian Diverter; 2019 Z740r
    Previous: 2012 JD 1026R, R3 turf, H-120 FEL, 7-iron 60D MMM
    Attached: EA Wicked 55 Grapple, iMatch, Heavyhitch w/8x42lb, JD BB5060L, JD LR5060L, JLF-2242 forks, Shaver 101 PHD, Countyline 48" rotary cutter
    Tow Behind: Trac-Vac 880, JD10 Cart, Countyline 25 ton splitter
    Stihl: MS180CB-E; MS391; HT101; FS110; HS81T; BR600 Magnum
    Critters: Bees, Chickens, Maremmas

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks

You know what really grinds my gears? This. Hope your pup is alright.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,360 Posts
    Chicken Byproduct Meal - Consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Chicken byproducts are much less expensive and less digestible than the chicken muscle meat.The ingredients of each batch can vary drastically in ingredients (heads, feet, bones etc.) as well as quality, thus the nutritional value is also not consistent. Don't forget that byproducts consist of any parts of the animal OTHER than meat. If there is any use for any part of the animal that brings more profit than selling it as "byproduct", rest assured it will appear in such a product rather than in the "byproduct" dumpster.

Poultry Byproduct Meal -
    Take the above description for Chicken and change the words Chicken to Poultry and you have the exact same thing. Essentially, it's the poorly digestible "everything other than meat and Protein" parts of the animals. It's the head, feet, intestines and even feathers, in "acceptable amounts for factory production standards".

Essentially, it's all the left over parts of the chicken that aren't meat..........The "by-products" has very little nutritional value and it's much tougher to digest. The term "byproduct" basically means "parts which aren't normally eaten"........they are filler parts.

Clearly, the food companies view the "Chicken and Poultry Byproducts" as very different than the actual protein meats of the animal. So, when they are stating they don't have " Chicken and Poultry Byproducts", they are not claiming they don't have Chicken or poultry contents, they are saying they don't have the "Byproducts" which are poorly digested and serve as filler agents and lack nutritional value.

I think when most people think of no Chicken or Poultry Byproducts, they think it means not chicken or poultry in the product. Instead, it's saying we don't put the ground up beaks, peckers and feathers in this brand of dog food, we save that for the "Non premium brands".

What they should say is "Contains only chicken or poultry meat protein products", not ground up parts and pieces, etc.

Human equivalent think Boneless skinless Chicken Breast verses Chicken Nuggets which are parts and pieced pulverized and pressed into patties.......cut into nuggets. just imagine what Burger king is selling for 10 nuggets for a dollar or whatever their promotion recently was.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (02-06-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    I worked for companies supplying ingredients for human health & nutrition and animal feed for a couple decades. As a multiple dog owner this thread got me thinking.

Pet food manufacturers in the US are regulated by the FDA and covered, in part, by 21 CFR 113. This requires the adoption of cGMPs. The FDA also governs product labeling, and sets nutrition, purity and quality standards for animal food.

Human allergens that are closely scrutinized are dairy, gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish and soy. This is only a partial list of known allergens and were chosen because of their ubiquity, percentage of the population that is sensitive to them and the severity of reactions. Many other things (e.g. my son is allergic to bananas) can cause reactions. Some ingredients are treated as allergens (non GMO, non Kosher, non Halal) because you should handle and store them with the same care as "real" allergens as a courtesy to your customers. Pet foods are not required to list potential allergens on the label and, if they did, they would probably be the same as the human list above owing to the potential for cross contamination in the household with children's possible exposure to them.

While labeling includes EVERYTHING printed on the product packaging, the important thing for consumers who are at risk is the nutritional information (if present - required if product is for human consumption) and ingredient list (required on everything by law). You need to know the ingredients that may contain allergens.

Interesting fact: Highly refined peanut oil is NOT an allergen because the refinement removes all traces of peanut proteins.

Al

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks

My wife and I used to have a dog with food allergies. A friend recommended a food called 'Solid Gold'. It worked really well. The dogs sores healed up and she loved the food. It has evolved a little since we were buying it but I think that you might find something Bud will like on their website. In case you are interested here's the link, https://www.solidgoldpet.com/product-category/dog-food/ Failing that I'd check with your Vet to see if he has some suggestions.
    DRobinson, OxPath and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Thanks
    Merrick was a good food until about five years ago when they got acquired and the recipe changed. The new owners publicly claimed no changes, but my dog's digestive tract stated otherwise.

From there, I tried Blue Buffalo but the pups didn't much care for it.

I went on to Wellness brand and feed them the Core product now which is Grain Free. You could look at one of those to see if they have an appropriate recipe. My terrier has food allergies / sensitivities and the Wellness cleared her skin up quickly.
    DRobinson likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for the feedback. The local Feed & Supply has a huge pet food area, or tractor trailers of poultry food. They did not have Blue Seal but they do carry Zignature which looks like what we will go with. It is back to what Blue Baffalo used to be with zip, nada, zilch for any poulty products in a couple of thier foods.

Transitioning to a new food is always fun. We may leave the Brittany on the current food and just transition the Catahoula who has the poultry sensitivity. The Brittany is an old guy and is starting to have problems getting around. The move to the new house will be a big change for him let alone a new food.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

13. Top | #10
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for the feedback. The local Feed & Supply has a huge pet food area, or tractor trailers of poultry food. They did not have Blue Seal but they do carry Zignature which looks like what we will go with. It is back to what Blue Baffalo used to be with zip, nada, zilch for any poulty products in a couple of thier foods.

Transitioning to a new food is always fun. We may leave the Brittany on the current food and just transition the Catahoula who has the poultry sensitivity. The Brittany is an old guy and is starting to have problems getting around. The move to the new house will be a big change for him let alone a new food.
    We feed our working GSD's Zignature. Great product. They don't have any allergies but love the food. A bit pricey per lb but hate to think about what's in other cheap dog food.
    Last edited by Big; 02-07-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    DRobinson and MeagerHair like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast