Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: What is your best Bargain or Negotiated Purchase

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks

What is your best Bargain or Negotiated Purchase

Let me start by apologizing for being unskilled in the nuances of a new post.
    Big’s recent thread "Concrete Wall Build" and the bargain 25˘ concrete blocks got me wondering about others great bargains.
    My own was back in the 70’s as a service station,(remember those?), manager. The local Catholic cemetery had a Bolens 1250 rebuilt, but then could not get it started. They towed it to me, I made an offer of $200 for it before trouble shooting. The local priest liked the idea of it not belonging to a parishioner and accepted as well as offering an unused snow plow for $50 additional. I got 20+ years of mowing and plowing out of the machine. It only needed the points properly wired, by the way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks
    I stopped in to a local liquor store to buy a bottle of bourbon. I saw a single bottle of Jefferson Ocean on the shelf and simply couldn't find a tag for it. I know this is an $80 bottle of liquor but I went to the counter to ask. The clerk tried in vain to look it up and even called another location - all to no avail. He opted to sell it to me for the price of $35 and I accepted.

That was about four months ago, it's about half gone.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Last fall I brought a land pride 60” finish mower, used but I’ll bet not more than twice, for 1/2 price from new
    Last edited by fdmars; 02-08-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Wrong name
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks
    Not me, friend bought, at auction, a propane powered forklift. It sold "as is, not working" He got it for one bid higher than the scrap dealer that was bidding against him. When he picked it up, he brought a key (did not have one) opened the valve on the propane bottle and it started right up.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Thanks
    I was a auto mechanic for 25+ years before turning to machine work and in my younger days deals used to present themselves on a regular basis. One of my first and most favorite's was a Morris 997 Cooper S. A student called me and said he had one with a blown head gasket he wanted to unload. I offered him $75 and he accepted. It was set up for racing with wide wheels, roll bar, solid dunlop spring rubbers, Koni shocks, etc. I pulled the plugs and spun the water out of the cylinders and it started right up. I went out periodically and started it and it showed no signs of trouble until it rained. Turned out when it rained the water would drip into the velocity stacks on the carbs and fill the cylinders. I just put a plastic bag over them and it never hydro locked again. I raced it in autocross for a couple of years and sold it with a blown engine for $300. The guy that bought it accumulated parts to fix it with but never got around to it. I later picked up an old Triumph TR3 that ran but was in rough condition for $50. I swapped that even for my Mini with all the parts. I used the parts to get it back into racing condition and enjoyed it a couple more years. In the end I sold it in a basket case for $100. I had 4 years of fun with it and was net $275 not counting normal maintenance stuff.

I had several good car deals that I often got use from and made money on. Some I netted a couple of grand on and some I drove for many miles before selling for more than I had in them.

My most recent deal that I think qualifies as a goodun is my John Deere 4310 tractor. Bought it at auction with 1500 hrs for $5900 after fees. It had an SCV but no loader. I had to replace the cowl and hood and clean it up some. Hood was okay but the fuel door was missing and the hinge tabs were broken for that so I went ahead and replaced it. I picked up a used 420 loader that was missing the bucket cylinders and fitted it with generic 2x18 cylinders for lift and bucket. Installed all new hoses and a diverter valve then I added a brand new rock/root grapple. I am all in for just a tad over 10 grand.

Sold my previous JD855 for a little more than I paid for it 5 years ago so that was a wash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails me-mini-2.jpeg   grappling.jpg  
    Last edited by Old Machinist; 02-08-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks
    I bought a number of snowmobiles over about a four year period for about what they were truly worth and sold only one of them for a loss.

2002 Polaris Indy XCSP 500 ("Edge X 500") with very high miles but extremely well-maintained - put about 800 miles on it over a season and a half and sold it for what I paid for it. Didn't really put any money into except gas, oil, and registration.

2006 Polaris Indy Classic 600 - bought it in very rough shape (no battery, skis were destroyed, needed a steering knuckle, seat cover destroyed, VES valves torn) at the end of a season - guy needed to unload it. Never registered it and sold it all fixed up for about a $400 profit

2006 Polaris Indy Classic 340 - Bought it with a dead battery and a bent ski but otherwise decent shape. Put a belt on it and put in a new battery. Replaced the skis with some off of another sled that got upgraded to plastic skis. Was driven around the yard for about 5-10 miles of odometer spin. Sold it for about $200 profit.

1998 Polaris Indy 440 (very rare sled, super hard to find as it's liquid cooled) - Bought it from the original owner in showroom condition with about 1200 miles. Upgraded skis to plastics (used) and installed a reverse kit that I bought off of a friend. Registered and ran it as a "buddy sled" for two seasons, added about 250 miles to it. Sold it sight unseen for a $600 profit to a guy from NY.

I had a couple of late 90's Polaris Indy Classic 500's (one standard, one touring) that I bought in "ok" shape. Did little to nothing with each of them and sold them for roughly what I had into them.

2012 Polaris Indy Pro-R 600 - bought it with high (ish) miles but fairly new and well maintained. Did quite a bit to it including having the shocks recharged, clutches cleaned, new belt, new reeds, and a thorough going over of the motor. Ran it for two seasons and sold it for about a $600 loss after putting about another 1000 miles on it.

At the end of it all, I rode for about 4-5 years and basically broke even after you factor in my various registration and insurance costs along with gas and oil. In my book, that's pretty good for a hobby that's known to be a money pit.

On the motorcycle side, I did a little worse. Bought two bikes. One was totaled and I made money on the whole deal as I was reimbursed for my gear. Sold the other at about a $1000 loss just to get rid of it (plus I threw in about $300 worth of parts I had bought as I was fixing it up).

All told, I'm out a few bucks (I made money on my snowmobile trailer, too), but I logged a lot of miles basically for "free".
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe not my best bargain, but certainly my best JD bargain.

I bought a F525 mower used, private party for $500. I mowed several acres with this mower for 3 years and then traded it in when I bought my 2032R in '16. I traded it in for $275 more than I paid for it originally. The deal worked out well for me.
    2016 JD 2032R, front end loader, 61" bucket, Imatch, ballast box, 72" mid mount mower, Frontier RC60 rotary cutter, Woods RB72.50 rear blade, power beyond, R3 & R4 tires

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    Right near the top of my bargains,, just about 20 years ago,, my 584 IH,,, $5,000,,

I wrote the check, and drove it home,,, 29 miles, I was not going to risk a better offer popping up,,,

Other than replacing the 40 year old tires, and a few fluid changes, it just runs, and runs,,,
    I do not abuse it,, but, it does do some serious work.

It even plows the snow,,,

fdmars, Tomfive, Zebrafive and 5 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 950 Posts
    1982 IH 274, 5' Woods Billy Goat brush hog, Ford 6' 3PH dozer blade, set of choppers, plow.
    Only had 490hours on it, barn kept------------ All for $4000.

Like CADplans, wrote a check right there and then for it, bought it in 1992.

Have 2500 hours on it now, only problem was leaking water pump that I replaced 10 years ago.

Have a standing offer of $7500 for it from a collector, no way I get rid of it, I like the little red mule too much.
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 02-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 03:44 PM
    Thanks
    My CZ O/U shotgun.
    Store closing, everything 20% off, was already sale priced, and 10% military discount.
    I paid about $100 under their cost on a brand new gun.
    fdmars and Old Cajun like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast