Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Upgraded my phone yesterday.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Upgraded my phone yesterday.

Well I've been threatening to get amore modern phone for awhile and It just happened that I had to go to Spectrum to exchange one of my TV receivers and talk to them about my outrageous bill going up to $242 per month. The salesman was great and he gave me a new receiver and got my bill down to $189 with a little finagling.

With that done, I asked about their mobile plan, and he gave me all the details and set me up with a plan which will be less money than my straight talk track phone. I'll be paying $14 per gigabyte of use per month, plus $25 a month for the phone,
    which is less than I was paying for the straight talk phone I had, $45 per month. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9 64 gigabytes, one of the latest models.
    It looks like a pretty good deal to me and more phone than I'll ever need. So for $25 for 25 payments = $625, while Walmart had one for $700 it seems OK to me. What does everybody think? What's a good case for it? The salesman said get the Otterbox with the face protector, that's what he had and he loves it. So
    etcallhome, pappa, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    Growing old is hell but it beats the alternative!

2018 2032r brand new with 270B backhoe and 220R loader.
    Worksaver ETG-26JD Grapple on the way.

1967 Chevy short stepside
    1974 Corvette convertible
    1995 Harley FXDWG.
    1965 Harley 883 Sportster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddysDream View Post
    Well I've been threatening to get amore modern phone for awhile and It just happened that I had to go to Spectrum to exchange one of my TV receivers and talk to them about my outrageous bill going up to $242 per month. The salesman was great and he gave me a new receiver and got my bill down to $189 with a little finagling.

With that done, I asked about their mobile plan, and he gave me all the details and set me up with a plan which will be less money than my straight talk track phone. I'll be paying $14 per gigabyte of use per month, plus $25 a month for the phone,
    which is less than I was paying for the straight talk phone I had, $45 per month. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9 64 gigabytes, one of the latest models.
    It looks like a pretty good deal to me and more phone than I'll ever need. So for $25 for 25 payments = $625, while Walmart had one for $700 it seems OK to me. What does everybody think? What's a good case for it? The salesman said get the Otterbox with the face protector, that's what he had and he loves it. So
    I am the wrong guy to ask Daddy! I'm frugal like I provide moth habitat in my wallet cheap and I would have demanded they give me the phone free to sign on to their ongoing larcenous scheme.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    I am the wrong guy to ask Daddy! I'm frugal like I provide moth habitat in my wallet cheap and I would have demanded they give me the phone free to sign on to their ongoing larcenous scheme.
    Carrier subsidized phones for free or low cost are nearly non existent these days-a couple years ago the major players started to transition from subsidized phones with ~2year contracts to no or limited contract plans and monthly payments for the retail costs of the phones.

Most of the other carriers followed suit and itís the industry standard now-not saying you canít still get a cheap phone from a but itíll probably be from a tertiary career or come with a costly service plan or have severe plan limits or low quality access.
    etcallhome, OxPath and DaddysDream like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-08-2019 @ 08:37 PM
    Thanks
    I'm another wrong guy to ask.

Had my satellite disconnected when they went from $59 to $65 on me. Claimed they were giving me a "FREE" receiver because I was such a good customer. (my old receiver died so I didn't need their service without a working receiver) Said nothing would change! After the increase they said my old plan was no longer available so they had to "Upgrade Me" to activate the new receiver. They also failed to mention they imposed a new 18 month contract with the "free" new receiver. Tried to bill me for early disconnect after I had been a customer for 7 years. I refused to pay and they gave up after 6 months of threat letters. I invested $170 in an antenna and rotator. Later I signed up for Netflix.

Got hooked up with an internet deal a couple years back that is no longer available but I'm grandfathered in. No point in giving details since you can't get it now but it's CHEAP!

My phone is a prepaid Verizon plan with a Motorola Moto E 4. Plan cost $40 per month for unlimited talk, text, and 3 gigs of data. Unused data rolls over for one month so I stay around 5 gigs credit. Most of my data use is over the home wifi so it doesn't cost the phone plan. Oh, I bought the phone at Walmart for $40. NO CONTRACT!

I am paying $79 per month for phone, internet, and entertainment.
    pappa, OxPath, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    If your not afraid of cutting the cord for 31 days, Spectrum will take you back at new customer rates. I bundled telephone, internet and tv and my bill was $176 and about to go up to $190 within a couple months. I kept telephone and internet during the 31 day interum and subscribed to Sling TV to temporarily tide us over. After the waiting period, they took me back as a new customer, re-bundling all three services for $124.47 a month, taxes included.

Now your cell phone is a different subject. I am with Consumer Cellular. My wife and I are on a limited share plan for $38 a month. Worth looking into.
    OxPath and wildbranch2007 like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    DaddysDream - did you have to give up any of your services to get the better Spectrum TV deal. Every time I've been there in the last 6 months they tell me the only thing they can do for me is to have me get rid of some of my boxes (@ $7.50 each per month). If I'm going to have to use Roku's to access the programming, I'm going to be looking at other streaming alternatives. And, if I do what JDForever did, I'll most likely stay away from them for the longer term.

As much as I dislike TimeWarner/Spectrum, I have been considering their mobile service. For me, it would probably work out well, price wise. I don't use much data except when I travel. And then not even that much. I'll be really curious to see how you end up liking the service. Be sure to report back here with any positives or negatives.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    If your not afraid of cutting the cord for 31 days, Spectrum will take you back at new customer rates. I bundled telephone, internet and tv and my bill was $176 and about to go up to $190 within a couple months. I kept telephone and internet during the 31 day interum and subscribed to Sling TV to temporarily tide us over. After the waiting period, they took me back as a new customer, re-bundling all three services for $124.47 a month, taxes included.

Now your cell phone is a different subject. I am with Consumer Cellular. My wife and I are on a limited share plan for $38 a month. Worth looking into.

I couldn't cut them or my wife would have killed me. He did give me a loyalty discount. You got a great rate and they lie, they can give any body a discount if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    DaddysDream - did you have to give up any of your services to get the better Spectrum TV deal. Every time I've been there in the last 6 months they tell me the only thing they can do for me is to have me get rid of some of my boxes (@ $7.50 each per month). If I'm going to have to use Roku's to access the programming, I'm going to be looking at other streaming alternatives. And, if I do what JDForever did, I'll most likely stay away from them for the longer term.

As much as I dislike TimeWarner/Spectrum, I have been considering their mobile service. For me, it would probably work out well, price wise. I don't use much data except when I travel. And then not even that much. I'll be really curious to see how you end up liking the service. Be sure to report back here with any positives or negatives.
    Yes I gave up the gold package with all the movie channels, but we kept the basic and silver packages with HBO and all the stuff that we only watched anyway. I did watch the western station, Starz west for awhile until I had seen all the old westerns three or four times.

We have one of the recording receivers which they charge $7.50 and 4 of the other type for $19.50. We have one tv we almost never watch in the guest bedroom but the wife won't let me cut it off cause we might have one of the grandkids stay over sometime. There hasn't been anybody for at least a year but you never know.
    I did have three of the recorder boxes and I asked about just getting two, one for me and one for her, but he said after the first DVR box it would still be $19.50. So I kept two, It's a ripoff on the recorder boxes, you shouldn't have to pay but for each one.

The salesman told me about the Roku sticks instead of the boxes but I think he said they can't record.
    I ended up with $189 per month for the TV internet and the land line phone.

The rate for the cell will be $14 per month for 1 gig or less or $45 for unlimited. I went for the 1 gig since I don't stream or take many pictures. The phone cost me $25 per month so I'm still saving$6.00 and I'm going to get another line for the wife and cut her's down from $45 to 14 cause she never uses it that much.
    mark02tj likes this.
    Growing old is hell but it beats the alternative!

2018 2032r brand new with 270B backhoe and 220R loader.
    Worksaver ETG-26JD Grapple on the way.

1967 Chevy short stepside
    1974 Corvette convertible
    1995 Harley FXDWG.
    1965 Harley 883 Sportster

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaddysDream For This Useful Post:

mark02tj†(02-21-2019)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    At the end of the day, you reduced your cost from $45/month to $39/month (assuming 1G of data or less per month) and got a new phone (plus taxes).

Did you make out on the deal? Only you can make that determination. How do you tell? Consider things like:

- Do you like the new phone? Not just today, but three months from now... Does the phone make usage better? Did you have to give up anything with the new phone that the old phone had?

- Does your new service work everywhere that you need it to? This is a pretty big deal that is sometimes overlooked when changing carriers (and you did change carriers, even if Straight Talk and Spectrum are using the same underlying towers - the contracts are independent as are the specific services and how they actually work).

- How is the call quality?

- Do you regularly use 1G of data or less per month? If you don't, then your bill went UP from where it was.

- After evaluating all of the above, are you happy with your monthly cost for these things for the next two years?

For me, this wouldn't work because of the amount of data I use. I also do not like Samsung phones because of their specific tweaks to the Android operating system. And, since I tend to turn my phones over and switch them out at one year or less intervals, being tied to two years of payments would never work for me. I buy my phones used from the original owners, six months old or less. I save a fair amount off of the price for a brand new one, and am able to sell them in excellent condition without taking too much of a loss. My iPhone X is about a year old now and is worth somewhere around $750-$800. This is pretty close the $900 I paid for it and it was still brand new in the box when I bought it (sealed). I spent an additional $50 on it for a case and screen protector, so my total investment in the phone will land somewhere around $200 for about 9 months worth of use (it's been decommissioned for a few months but I haven't officially put it up for sale as of yet).
    mark02tj and DaddysDream like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,339 Posts
    Otterbox with the screen cover, definitely for the phone protection. I have used them for years and in fact, I broke a belt clip on the Belt unit for the case (caught it in a seat belt and broke the end of it off, the belt clips are actually pretty tough) and I emailed Otterbox asking if I could purchase a new belt clip as the rest of the case was just fine. They sent me a entirely new case at no charge and I was outside of the warranty period by over a year, plus I broke it, it wasn't a case failure. The otter is TOUGH and really protects the phone. It adds bulk to the phone, but I can't hang onto the slippery skinny phones without the case on it.

I always carry my phone horizontally on my belt in the Otterbox case, I NEVER put it in my pocket and I don't walk around with it in my hand. Take a look at any picture taken in public today and most people have their phone in their hands. There is a photo on the "What's making me smile" thread of a Dog at an airport and take a look at all of the people in the photo, everyone where you can see their hands, they are hanging onto a phone. I don't have that kind of obsession with my phone where I always have to be hanging onto it, but many people obviously do. It's pretty well documented in any random picture of people in public.

I have bounced my phone off concrete more times that I care to remember and not a scratch on it. A goof friend is on his 5th I Phone and I still have my original Android and couldn't be happier...................He broke 3 I Phones in 3 months. He refuses to put any case on them because he claims it messes up the touch screen for him. Personally, I have never noticed an issue with having the screen protector on it. He dropped one flat on the floor in the University of Mi hospital cafeteria and the second it landed, I knew it was toast. Smashed his screen so it wouldn't display. Drop the phone with the Otterbox and it won't harm it.

I would make sure to put the actual screen protector on the phone screen itself as depending upon the model of the phone and the specific Otterbox case, there is a possibility of getting dirt or grit behind the Otterbox case screen cover and then it will scratch your phone screen without the protector on the screen itself. Otherwise, perfect way to protect the phone and it accommodates the plugs, control buttons, etc on the case. I could even charge my phone on the surface contact charger through the Otter Box case , which is very handy.

The otterbox isn't one which is quick to put on and take off the phone, so once it's on, it's on as it's a multi step process to remove the case. The only time I have removed the case was to have the phone worked on and that's another thread in itself somewhere here on GTT....... That's why I referred to the fact my phone used to be able to be charged on the surface charger.....Used to........

If you want to protect your phone, the Otterbox is a great way.............

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

DaddysDream†(02-21-2019)

14. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,548 Posts
    I used to be an Otterbox guy.....until I bought a Rokform case. So much better, smaller, better looking, has built-in mounting system, AND has a built-in magnet.

Yup, Iíve been a Rokform guy for years. It still freaks people out when I stick my phone to random objects to include the gas tank on my motorcycle.

I canít stand the swelling of the rubberyish material OB uses. After a while you need to replace it. PIA to get through to the switches, buttons, and ports as well. Then youíre always getting lint and trash under the plastic screen protector. No thanks. Gorilla glass cover and a Rokform case. Best combo Iíve seen to date.
    Kennyd and mark02tj like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

DaddysDream†(02-21-2019), mark02tj†(02-22-2019)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast