Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Buy Amish Furniture Direct?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:56 AM
    Thanks

Buy Amish Furniture Direct?

Hi, all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to potentially purchase Amish-built furniture "direct" instead of through a retail store. I would love to be able to find something of their quality, but at a price that is actually affordable. I just priced out a bedroom set and the price (retail) was way over $11,000 and that doesn't include any upcharges for cherry wood or specific hardware.

There are a lot of places that advertise as selling Amish-built furniture, but I've read that -many- of those places are not actually selling stuff that comes direct from the Amish.
    glc, DRobinson and Herminator like this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    I think its easier now, a lot of Amish have an arms length web presence working with those worldly Mennonites!

We bought an Amish built entertainment center from these folks a few years ago. I am happy with the quality and the way they worked with us to built what i drew up for them. The dimensions were custom to fit into a wall space area and for the TV size. We also had picked the side shelving design and doors. They talked me out of cherry to a cherry finish on poplar. I'm not sorry, it looks fine and matches the other cherry furniture in the adjacent room. I can get some close up pics if you want when i get back.

Quality Hardwood Furniture - Dutch Home Furniture, Middletown, DE
    DRobinson and SulleyBear like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    Problem is they don’t have websites.

Best way is to go find one. I have a Mennonite casket maker down the street and up home in Northern, PA we had a couple of Amish operations that did new furniture and one that refurbished but you had to go see them to get work done.

Thier is an Amish store not far from sisters they have great spices and things I have not found anywhere else. They take credit cards but use the old impression machine. And they have a big old general store register with the pull handle on the side. They have an ice house and fresh pork two days a week and beef 1 Day a week. It,s awesome.
    SulleyBear and Herminator like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60” Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,483 Posts
    We've bought a bunch of stuff from these guys, some things they make themselves like the slab/live edge tables, and some stuff like chairs and drawers they get from large shops in Ohio. May not be as "direct" as you want, but they do make custom stuff, we had a bench and live edge table made to our specs, but also bought "off the floor" stuff too like our bedroom set ad a file cabinet for my office.

Twin Brook Furniture LLC |
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    Hi, all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to potentially purchase Amish-built furniture "direct" instead of through a retail store. I would love to be able to find something of their quality, but at a price that is actually affordable. I just priced out a bedroom set and the price (retail) was way over $11,000 and that doesn't include any upcharges for cherry wood or specific hardware.

There are a lot of places that advertise as selling Amish-built furniture, but I've read that -many- of those places are not actually selling stuff that comes direct from the Amish.
    If it were me, I'd go for an air mattress and a sleeping bag.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks
    There is a store in Russell Ma on rte 20 about 10 mi west of Westfield, I would go there and see what they got. I got a few things from them, all dealing, for both furniture and sheds/ small barn, have been top notch. Highly recommended.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    If it were me, I'd go for an air mattress and a sleeping bag.
    I've had the same bedroom set since 1976, and I bought it used!
    DRobinson likes this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Not sure if you have any Amish or Mennonite in your area but if you do and know one go talk to them. If one doesn’t build furniture they most likely know someone that does.

We had ours built by a local Mennonite man. Two dressers, two nightstands, a bed, and mirror all out of solid oak with ball bearing drawer slides. I don’t think we have 3000 in everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SulleyBear likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,363 Posts
    If you have the time, it might be worth a couple day trip to visit the Amish communities nearest to you directly. Some are set up to be more "tourist" friendly where others are more just Amish businesses serving Amish communities and customers. It sounds like you would benefit from dealing as direct as possible.

I enjoy going into the actual general stores where the local Amish shop as they have all sorts of items which you don't see any more in most retailers. Plus, the quality of the items is usually much better as the Amish themselves are the consumers for the items. If your better half is into sewing, quilting or crafts, she will likely be as happy as can be.

We have many Amish communities in the Elkhart, Indiana area and Southern Central Michigan. You can perform Google searches to help direct you to the areas where there are Amish and Mennonite communities to help direct you.

Amish State Guide

There are also Amish communities in Ontario Canada. Mrs. Bear collects Amish Quilts and I stopped at a rural farm house when I was on a Motorcycle trip and purchased several quilts and they shipped them home for me. When I pulled up to the house on a rural dirt road on my Harley, a young woman jumped on the bareback draft horse and rode it out of the field up to house to help me with the quilt selections.

Take lots of cash if you do this as cash talks and some of the best deals I have found are with small individuals who have a sign at the end of their driveway and they are making the items on site themselves. We have bought furniture this way as well as had some custom made. You might have to communicate with them by mail on custom projects but the end result is worth it. In every case, I have gotten what was promised, when promised at the cost agreed to. I had to arrange shipping but that's not a big deal....................

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    I've had the same bedroom set since 1976, and I bought it used!
    It's not red white and blue, is it?

One thing about buying quality furniture, whether its new or used, it lasts and lasts.

My wife showed me a flyer which was in the local paper the other day. A store was advertising 11 pieces of furniture for only $499 or $25 per month for 2 years...........(24 x $25 = $600). Just imagine the quality for $40 per item of furniture......

I guarantee you the people that purchase that furniture won't be saying in 2062, "I bought that in 2019 and I have had it ever since". 11 pieces of furniture for $499 likely won't make it the 24 months they give people to pay for it at the steep interest rates.... But I am sure they have people buy it................
    DRobinson and jimmylh like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast