Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Ebay and PayPal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks

Ebay and PayPal

I seldom use Ebay anymore unless it's something I just can't find elsewhere, and such was the case the other night. But when I clicked on "Buy Now" and went to pay, was informed that this seller no longer accepts PayPal. Never ran into this before so I just canceled the buy. One of the few reasons I still like Ebay is the ease of using PayPal, without having to give my CC info to anyone else.

Since Ebay originally owned PayPal it seemed like even after they split into separate companies that Ebay still highly recommended if not required that sellers accept PayPal. This got me wondering so I went searching on the web to see what was going on. In case I'm not the last person in the world to hear about this, here is a link explaining what is happening.

Ebay Cutting Off PayPal
    glc, Gizmo2, ChrisR and 3 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (03-02-2019), ChrisR (02-27-2019), farmgirl19 (03-07-2019), glc (02-27-2019), jgayman (02-27-2019), Marlin (03-08-2019), PaDave (03-08-2019), wildbranch2007 (03-03-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Nope... hadn't heard anything about it. I have used PayPal occasionally for buying and selling.

The article is a bit confusing. Especially this statement:

"After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won’t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time."

Soooo... in one sentence they say PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers but then go on to say PayPal will cease to process card payments for Ebay? Huh?

2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Nope... hadn't heard anything about it. I have used PayPal occasionally for buying and selling.

The article is a bit confusing. Especially this statement:

"After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won’t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time."

Soooo... in one sentence they say PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers but then go on to say PayPal will cease to process card payments for Ebay? Huh?

PayPal currently provides two ways to pay: an "e-check" that is an ACH transfer from a bank account (or a PayPal balance) to a sellers PayPal account or to use a credit card on file with PayPal to accomplish the same thing. That statement probably refers to the latter option.

I use eBay and Amazon a lot, partly because of the convenience of a few clicks and done. No running downstairs to get my wallet and repeatedly enter all the information, especially since my billing and shipping addresses are almost always different (no home delivery of mail in our town - only PO boxes). Once nice thing about a small town is that you can address a letter to me @ Caroga Lake NY and it will end up in my PO box. In fact, a lot of eBay sellers will not ship to PO boxes even though they are using USPS or Surepost to ship. I just give my street address and it ends up delivered to my PO box anyway.

PayPal's processing fees are high IMO (this affects the seller directly; me indirectly) but they do provide an effective protection against fraud. Beyond the enhancement of profit, this was one of the reasons why eBay insisted that sellers accept PayPal. The buyer could opt out and take the risk by paying directly, but PayPal had to be one of the payment options.

Al
    Last edited by AlKozak; 02-27-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    IndianaJim likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Thanks
    First I've heard of this too.

I expect the majority of customers will move on to a seller that still accepts paypal as you did. I like the one click checkout and use paypal at ebay, walmart. home depot, and any other merchant that offers it.

The sellers have the paypal fee built in to their price. I doubt many of them will want to suffer the loss in sales to make a move to something different.
    glc likes this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks
    Merchants (Ebay) rarely directly process payments with the credit card companies (I'm not aware of any that do, but there might be some) and instead rely on 3rd parties (payment processors) to actually handle the payment transaction.

PayPal provided 2 main services to Ebay. Direct payments through PayPal using your PayPal account. And credit card processing for payments that were not facilitated through your PayPal account. So if a customer chose to use a credit card instead of a PayPal account, PayPal was still involved as the backend payment processor between Ebay and the credit card companies. Make sense now?
    glc, JimR, wildbranch2007 and 1 others like this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    Merchants (Ebay) rarely directly process payments with the credit card companies (I'm not aware of any that do, but there might be some) and instead rely on 3rd parties (payment processors) to actually handle the payment transaction.

PayPal provided 2 main services to Ebay. Direct payments through PayPal using your PayPal account. And credit card processing for payments that were not facilitated through your PayPal account. So if a customer chose to use a credit card instead of a PayPal account, PayPal was still involved as the backend payment processor between Ebay and the credit card companies. Make sense now?
    I do believe that this right here is the correct answer. It's all about who FleaBay uses as their credit card processor and that won't be PayPal in the future
    glc, trboxman and JD4044M like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I do believe that this right here is the correct answer. It's all about who FleaBay uses as their credit card processor and that won't be PayPal in the future
    I'd give it a 99.99% chance of being accurate.
    glc and JD4044M like this.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post

I'm not sure - I'm probably still confused. :-) So are you saying that for folks like me that have a credit card and bank account linked to PayPal for the purpose of buying and selling that nothing will change?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks

Ebay and PayPal

Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I seldom use Ebay anymore unless it's something I just can't find elsewhere, and such was the case the other night. But when I clicked on "Buy Now" and went to pay, was informed that this seller no longer accepts PayPal. Never ran into this before so I just canceled the buy. One of the few reasons I still like Ebay is the ease of using PayPal, without having to give my CC info to anyone else.

Since Ebay originally owned PayPal it seemed like even after they split into separate companies that Ebay still highly recommended if not required that sellers accept PayPal. This got me wondering so I went searching on the web to see what was going on. In case I'm not the last person in the world to hear about this, here is a link explaining what is happening.

Ebay Cutting Off PayPal
    Watching a program last night and can't remember just which one but think it was Tucker Carlson on Fox and it seems PayPal is owned by an big donor to the Democrat Party and despises Donald Trump. There was quite a discussion over this man. Maybe some of you saw the program and can tell more about the deal and the man himself. Would be nice to know the details. I thought at the time about how many people would no longer use PayPal.

Anyone know anything?

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,256 Times in 2,562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky717 View Post
    Watching a program last night and can't remember just which one but think it was Tucker Carlson on Fox and it seems PayPal is owned by an big donor to the Democrat Party and despises Donald Trump. There was quite a discussion over this man. Maybe some of you saw the program and can tell more about the deal and the man himself. Would be nice to know the details. I thought at the time about how many people would no longer use PayPal.

Anyone know anything?
    Let's please not go political here. It's ok to discuss who's who and what not, but let's no go into political views and opinions. We have a dedicated forum for that.

Carry on especially if we can provide links (to credible sites) but know that this can easily get pushed into a different theme and therefore into the politics forum.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast