Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree537Likes

Thread: Equipment repair missteps

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-03-2019 @ 10:45 PM
    Thanks

Equipment repair missteps

Wanted to start a thread on funny mistakes we have all made repairing our equipment.

I didnt do this but a friend admitted he and his son made a funny mistake. He was tilling his garden when the tillers motor started acting up. He noticed the carb was loose and the gasket was damaged. His older son said “ no problem pop Ill make you a new gasket.” He replaced the gasket and they processed to try and start it for over an hour. My friend disgusted and nursing a growing blister on his hand quit and said tomorrow is another day. The next morning his son said “ hey pop I know what’s wrong with the tiller” when the son made the gasket he only made holes for the bolts and never cut out the center hole. After fixing the sons mistake the tiller fired right up!

Sometimes adult beverages and repairs dont mix well!
    Gizmo2, rtgt, rydplrs and 14 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1025RTLB View Post
    Wanted to start a thread on funny mistakes we have all made repairing our equipment.

I didnt do this but a friend admitted he and his son made a funny mistake. He was tilling his garden when the tillers motor started acting up. He noticed the carb was loose and the gasket was damaged. His older son said “ no problem pop Ill make you a new gasket.” He replaced the gasket and they processed to try and start it for over an hour. My friend disgusted and nursing a growing blister on his hand quit and said tomorrow is another day. The next morning his son said “ hey pop I know what’s wrong with the tiller” when the son made the gasket he only made holes for the bolts and never cut out the center hole. After fixing the sons mistake the tiller fired right up!

Sometimes adult beverages and repairs dont mix well!
    Excellent . . . lesson learned
    Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks
    My son and I were working an old dodge replacing some damaged wheel studs after dropping the car off of the jack

He worked the better part of the afternoon before asking for help . . . he learned about reverse threads on older dodges . . . no beer involved as he was 11 at the time
    Gizmo2, pappa, rtgt and 13 others like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    Put a new starter relay in a Rhino. Nothing would work, no dash lights, no crank, nothing UNLESS you jumped the positive side and the starter output side.

It was in backwards. I had hooked the battery to the motor side, and the motor to the positive side.

Another time I had unhooked the spark plug on something and forgot to hook it back up. After 15 minutes of cranking and no start, I finally realized what i'd done.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, rydplrs and 10 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Put a new starter relay in a Rhino. Nothing would work, no dash lights, no crank, nothing UNLESS you jumped the positive side and the starter output side.

It was in backwards. I had hooked the battery to the motor side, and the motor to the positive side.

Another time I had unhooked the spark plug on something and forgot to hook it back up. After 15 minutes of cranking and no start, I finally realized what i'd done.
    I’ve done the spark plug thing many times. Unhook the spark plugs in the snowmobile in springtime. Then in the fall you are eager to fire it up. Pull that pull cord like a mofo, but nothing happens. You open the cowling and discover the unhooked spark plugs. Hook them back up, yank on the cord. Guess what happens next? Kabooom! All that fuel you just loaded into the cylinders finally gets its spark!
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    I had a 78 Jeep CJ-5 that had developed a strong lifter tick after I owned it a few years (bought new).
    I went ahead and sent the head out for a light valve job and was in the process of reassembling the engine after changing lifters and had the carb off and the valve cover and I think I was setting the rockers.
    I bumped the starter a couple times to get TDC on various cylinders and the last time I tried that fuel started gushing out of the open fuel line and shot straight down the intake. Motor fired up and raced to at least 4k before I killed it.
    I was really surprised!
    Gizmo2, rtgt, rydplrs and 8 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I had a 78 Jeep CJ-5 that had developed a strong lifter tick after I owned it a few years (bought new).
    I went ahead and sent the head out for a light valve job and was in the process of reassembling the engine after changing lifters and had the carb off and the valve cover and I think I was setting the rockers.
    I bumped the starter a couple times to get TDC on various cylinders and the last time I tried that fuel started gushing out of the open fuel line and shot straight down the intake. Motor fired up and raced to at least 4k before I killed it.
    I was really surprised!
    I had a 79 that I completely rebuild when I was a punk teenager. I could not get the front brakes to bleed for crap, tried manually, tried a pressurizuring cap and still squishy brakes. Ended up the calpilers are almost the same and will bolt up but if you switch sides the bleeder is not on the top. Guess what I always check now.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Years ago, I was changing valve stem seals on the cylinder head of my Honda CRX. I was using an air compressor to put air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole in order to pressurize the cylinder and keep the valves in place while I removed the keepers. In the middle of all this, the compressor kicked on and the garage circuit breaker tripped. No big deal, I just needed to go to the breaker box and reset it. For some reason, I turned around and thought I'd better disconnect the compressor air hose first. Psssshhhht....<tink> With pressure released, the valve dropped into the cylinder. So I had to remove the cylinder head in order to reinstall that valve.
    RIKI - 2018 1025R FILB, warning light brush guards, block heater, aux rear work light, Ken's diff lock pedal
    120R FEL with 53" bucket, Ken's bolt on hooks, BXpanded Piranha toothbar
    260B BH with 16" bucket, BXpanded Quick-On Connector, BXpanded Talon Ripper
    54D MMM, autoconnect, mechanical lift
    HF quick hitch, Titan 36" pallet forks
    Alex - 1999 LX255, 42C deck with bagger

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-03-2019 @ 10:45 PM
    Thanks
    One of mine is when charging my tractor battery I must have been doing a self colon exam with my head up my tail pipe and hooked the battery charger up backwards. Put the charger on high and got involved in something else. When I returned the battery was not happy and was ready to let go but thankfully didn’t. A new battery and an acid clean up and life moved on.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, rydplrs and 6 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    I’ve done the spark plug thing many times. Unhook the spark plugs in the snowmobile in springtime. Then in the fall you are eager to fire it up. Pull that pull cord like a mofo, but nothing happens. You open the cowling and discover the unhooked spark plugs. Hook them back up, yank on the cord. Guess what happens next? Kabooom! All that fuel you just loaded into the cylinders finally gets its spark!
    I did a similar thing with a snowmobile, the end result was about 1 cup of gas in the exhaust pipe.
    rtgt, rydplrs, spferdil and 4 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast