Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Alaskan Cruise experience?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Thanks

Alaskan Cruise experience?

So our 50th is coming up in Aug. Thinking of trying our first cruise. Initial thoughts are the Virgin Islands or Alaska, but that's high hurricane season, so focusing more on Alaska. See typical daytime highs of 62° which is almost winter for Central Texans - not good. So for those who have been there, done that, can you share some thoughts?
    Mar524ak and JD4044M like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    So our 50th is coming up in Aug. Thinking of trying our first cruise. Initial thoughts are the Virgin Islands or Alaska, but that's high hurricane season, so focusing more on Alaska. See typical daytime highs of 62° which is almost winter for Central Texans - not good. So for those who have been there, done that, can you share some thoughts?
    I haven’t done it but lived in Kodiak Alaska for 8 yrs. Heard all about it though. People have absolutely loved it. August is the best time to go cause everything is nice and green and weather is pretty good! You won’t be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    We did the inside passage from Canada to Alaska. Very cool. Go from the US/Canada up. The food for the return trip is frozen for the trip from Alaska back to US/Canada. Saves the cruise lines money.

The inside passage is like traveling on a wide, deep river, never much for waves and you can almost always see land. I think we were actually out to sea 1 night. We went the 3rd week of August. We loved it. I could go on and on.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    The first one I'm looking at is an Inside Passage & Glacier Bay from Norwegian. Looks like it goes to sea first then back to the south. One of the 2 ships/routes goes to Skagway where there's a train excursion. As a RR engineer's granddaughter and as a former RR crew dispatcher (summer college job), sounds appealing.

How was the temp? Seriously, I'm a real wimp at cold.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Thanks
    I worked as an engineer on a small cruise boat that did south east Alaska and the inside passage. The company was called Lindblad Expeditions, they are associated with National Geographic now.

I can say without a doubt go cruise Alaska it is breathtaking.

Late July thru mid August is the warmest time there. The air temps can get fairly warm. On a cruise the water you are in will always be cold which will always give the air on the ship a cool feel.

Cruising season starts in late May and you can still get days with snow. Season ends in early September when the trees turn and snow is coming soon.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJadamec For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (04-10-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 1,065 Posts
    just watched a piece on cruise ships on my tv tonight on the news(nbc nightly news) seems some lady had a stroke as soon as they left Florida, so the captain dropped her and husband off in the Bahamas. from their they had to pay $15,000 for a ride on a helicoptor back to Florida.

so now there suing the cruise line for not having enough dr stuff on board to take care of a stroke victim.

so the cruise lines are saying to get urselve checked out good before ya leave.
    MDrew, mark02tj and JD4044M like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    just watched a piece on cruise ships on my tv tonight on the news(nbc nightly news) seems some lady had a stroke as soon as they left Florida, so the captain dropped her and husband off in the Bahamas. from their they had to pay $15,000 for a ride on a helicoptor back to Florida.

so now there suing the cruise line for not having enough dr stuff on board to take care of a stroke victim.

Feel for them $$$-wise, but a cruise ship is NOT a floating hospital. As for the checkup, strokes are not normally predictable AFAIK, and if you live your life worrying about about what MIGHT happen, you're not going to have much of a life.
    meburdick, MDrew, mark02tj and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    The temperatures when we went were primarily in the upper 60s. I put a light jacket on when we were in the College Fjords watching the glaciers calf. It was about 50 there. I laughed at the people wearing the old style Air Force parkas, the greenish- gray one with the fur around the edge of the hood. It wasn't that cold.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post

Their case will be thrown out.

Two words, folks: Trip Insurance

Anyone that has EVER been on a cruise knows that anything you run into that isn't "included" is expensive. Period. Get trip insurance that will cover things like "medical evacuation" (which is exactly what that helicopter ride was).

Also - If you are NOT a drinker or a gambler, consider a Disney Alaska cruise. Yes, they're more expensive, but Disney's focus is 100% on Guest Experience / Customer Service. AND, they include all of the standard drinks in their cruise fare (some latte type drinks and stuff aren't included) while others include coffee and maybe water ONLY.

Cruising in "high hurricane season" has a VERY unlikely risk of an actual storm interrupting or even canceling your trip (again, see trip insurance). The REAL chance of impact to you is possibly missing a port of call or some motion sickness if you're susceptible. I was on one of the larger Disney boats in 2014 and seas were a little rougher than normal. Some of the others had their stomachs upset a bit while it didn't really seem to affect me. The REAL problem on that cruise was that we were unable to dock at Disney's private island (Castaway Cay).

For those that aren't Disney fans... It's still a great cruise. It's not a floating theme park or even close. It's Disney's touch on a cruise, and again .... They're all about Guest Experience. Sure, you'll see the major characters and such, and yes - there are children. But there are also plenty of areas on the boat that are adults only.
    mark02tj likes this.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    ddbuda - My late father and still living mother took their Alaska cruise on or about their 50th wedding anniversary in the early 2000's. For them, it ranked right up with some of their great lifetime trips together.

I love being on the sea, but have never done a cruise. My wife went with some friend in 2008 in the Gulf of Mexico out of New Orleans. Building tropical weather cut their cruise short, but the excursion folk still managed to steer her towards some "tax-free" diamond ear studs.

Alcohol seems to be a big profit item for cruise lines, so be forwarned and plan accordingly (pro tip: Vodka with a couple of drops of blue food coloring looks a lot like blue mouthwash! Gold Tequila or bourbon/scotch looks a lot like gold Listerine. Just saying...)

If you go, enjoy your trip. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. 50 is extremely rare when most first marraiges struggle to survive five years.

Brian

QUOTE=dianedebuda;3233490]So our 50th is coming up in Aug. Thinking of trying our first cruise. Initial thoughts are the Virgin Islands or Alaska, but that's high hurricane season, so focusing more on Alaska. See typical daytime highs of 62° which is almost winter for Central Texans - not good. So for those who have been there, done that, can you share some thoughts?[/QUOTE]
    mark02tj likes this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast