Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree702Likes

Thread: Got snakes?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks

Got snakes?

The other day, I was in my tractor barn/workshop. I was doing a minor repair on my tractor. My barn has a concrete floor.
    It's really quiet out here, so I can hear the squeaks & groans of my barn sliding doors from the wind. So I start hearing this strange sound like something being pulled across the concrete floor. I turn my head & I see a four foot black snake sliding right past me. After I drop my wrench on the mower deck, the snake takes off past me & hits the rear barn doors & is trying to get out. This is the second one I've had come in. Black snakes are not poisonous & are not known to attack people. But we also have copperheads here that are poisonous & freaking aggressive & will attack you.

I really don't want any snake in my barn. At the least they are a nuisance. On the other side they can be a health threat & a trip to the emergency room & life threatening to young & old with health issues. So what I would like to do is find a way to trap these guys & get rid of them when they come into the barn. I see these "snake" repellent powders being sold at the Big store but I've read they are useless. Now I see traps that will trap them live for removal or kill them if you want to do that. I don't want to kill anything that wonders in. I just don't want them taking shelter in the corners of my barn or in my equipment. Does anyone know of anything out there I can use & & how effective is it.

I was going to use one of those electronic silent sound emitters you plug into an outlet. But since snakes do not have ears & they respond to vibrations they feel or sense in the air & ground, I don't see how you make it uninviting to stay in a particular area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Tomfive, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitty1.jpg
    fdmars, Tomfive, Maddog and 11 others like this.
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pappa For This Useful Post:

Maddog†(04-18-2019)

5. Top | #3
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    The other day, I was in my tractor barn/workshop. I was doing a minor repair on my tractor. My barn has a concrete floor.
    It's really quiet out here, so I can hear the squeaks & groans of my barn sliding doors from the wind. So I start hearing this strange sound like something being pulled across the concrete floor. I turn my head & I see a four foot black snake sliding right past me. After I drop my wrench on the mower deck, the snake takes off past me & hits the rear barn doors & is trying to get out. This is the second one I've had come in. Black snakes are not poisonous & are not known to attack people. But we also have copperheads here that are poisonous & freaking aggressive & will attack you.

I really don't want any snake in my barn. At the least they are a nuisance. On the other side they can be a health threat & a trip to the emergency room & life threatening to young & old with health issues. So what I would like to do is find a way to trap these guys & get rid of them when they come into the barn. I see these "snake" repellent powders being sold at the Big store but I've read they are useless. Now I see traps that will trap them live for removal or kill them if you want to do that. I don't want to kill anything that wonders in. I just don't want them taking shelter in the corners of my barn or in my equipment. Does anyone know of anything out there I can use & & how effective is it.

I was going to use one of those electronic silent sound emitters you plug into an outlet. But since snakes do not have ears & they respond to vibrations they feel or sense in the air & ground, I don't see how you make it uninviting to stay in a particular area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Seeing how Papa gave a great idea I also have one, Jer,, (we all remember Jer right?) he sent me a site that takes care of things in sheds, barns etc, so I will pass it along to you.. Google Dartman and the neighbor and search for the shed video. I know you said you don't want to kill it/them, but sometimes there is no choice and if its a female you will have plenty of them soon. Warning, these videos may not be suitable for all audiences...
    Last edited by tj1; 04-17-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Maddog, pappa, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tj1 For This Useful Post:

Maddog†(04-18-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts

Got snakes?

A barn cat is very effective at keeping snakes away.
    Maddog, rtgt, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Maddog†(04-18-2019)

10. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    If you have snakes in your barn, you likely have rodents in your barn. The rodents are the snakes' source of food. So, keeping rodents away is the key. The barn cat can serve two functions, 1) Keeping the rodent numbers to nil, and 2) the cats will kill the snakes too.

I love most of my snakes, but they can give one a startle if not expecting them to be there. I do my best not to harm the non-venomous varieties. Copperheads and moccasins get dispatched, along with any wayward rattler. Although rattlers are very rare in my immediate area, they have been seen.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

Maddog†(04-18-2019)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Snakes will also go to someplace cool if it is hot out. A concrete floor in a barn could attract them that way. Perhaps sealing all the little openings will help keep out the snakes and their rodent snacks.
    Maddog and rtgt like this.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RadarDon For This Useful Post:

Maddog†(04-18-2019)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 751 Posts
    A black snake will keep the wire chewing varmints away just like a cat.

You really gotta piss off a blacksnake to get it to bite you.

Be aware of snakes. Most of them like you less than you like them.

Otherwise - 12 gauge, #6 field loads.

Up close, .38 with rat shot, or a shovel.

A king snake will keep all the varmints and other snakes away.
    farmgirl19, BigJim55, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rtgt For This Useful Post:

Maddog†(04-18-2019)

16. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Barn cats are friendlier. Period. They eat and keep away a snakeís food source.

I donít know what snakes are what, but Iíve had a big black snake out in the yard pop up about 12-18Ē and look around. He saw me on the Z and came for me. Game on sir, game on. We played a game of chicken. He turned at the last second but some quick maneuvering ensured the win.

Black snakes, whatever they are, tend to be aggressive here. So I donít give them any wiggle room.

My neighbors know if they hear what sounds like WWIII starting or my house burning down, there was probably a snake involved.

Iíll call in an airstrike if I have too.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks

black snakes

I'm not a fan of snakes close to me but in our area, if you have a black snake you don't have copperheads. Black snakes apparently take care of the copperheads, I guess by eating the young ones. I've seldom seen an aggressive black snake unless I've been trying to pick it up with a shovel and aggravated it.

That said, I don't want any snake in an area where I'm living and working. I'll put up with them in the yard- just move them to the nearby woods but in the house or a shed and it's a more lethal approach. Cats do seems to be effective, where we've had cats there really hasn't been an issue with snakes.

Treefarmer
    Maddog, rtgt, Levi and 4 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have a barn cat, I don't even have a barn. But, I have an indoor/outdoor cat. In her hunting heyday, she would bring home all kinds of varmints and drop them off at the front door. Mice, chipmunks, even birds. But this one time she brought a snake into the house and dropped it on the kitchen floor. Yeah, that was lovely. What was even more lovely was the fact that the snake was still alive. As I tried to catch it, it slithered underneath the refrigerator. Well, that's not optimal. All kinds of crevices behind the fridge and counters that this thing could have gotten into. My son helped my pull the fridge out to try to catch the stupid thing before it was able to hide. When we pulled the fridge out, we found 2 snake halves. The snake must have gotten run over by one of the wheels. Thankfully, it was dead.
    The moral of the story is...if you do get a barn cat, make sure it wants to actually kill the snakes, and not bring you the live ones.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast