Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: 12 years after Lasik I need glasses

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks

12 years after Lasik I need glasses

I started wearing glasses when I was 4 years old, with my eyes continually getting worse till the point I had to use real glass lenses to keep from having thick glasses. So after 27 years of wearing glasses I had lasik surgery. 90% of my severe astigmatism was taken care of and for 11 years I saw 20-15.

So anyway, went to the eye Dr and need glasses. He is recommending a multifocal progressive lens. From what I have read these take practice to get accustomed too.

Anyone here wear them? What is your experience? Better / worse than bifocals?
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    As my focus ability got worse I got "tri-focals" after years of bi-focals. Everybody told me you'll kill yourself with those trifocals running into stuff and stepping over rocks, etc. I got used to them riding home in the car from the glasses place - no problem. Don't psych yourself out, if you're wearing bi's I'll bet you can get used to them quickly.

My next pair of glasses (soon!) will be the progressives!!! I guess I get used to glasses easier than some. I just won't buy the "progressively self changing sunglasses" again, P-I-A!

Edit: BTW, half the problems with bi or trifocal glasses is the person doing the fitting. All multifocal glasses have to sit on your face where the Rx is designed. Some of the glasses "box stores" I've used (I won't mention Pearl or Lenscrafters) they don't get the positions right. I've learned over the years how to "tune" the fit and comfort of new and "badly bent" old glasses.
    Last edited by HydroHarold; 03-19-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    I wear progressive lens and have for 10 years or more. They do take some getting use to.
    Every time I get a new set of glasses it seems I have to go back at least twice to get them fitted correctly, if not get then remade.
    Note: I don't use Box stores for my glasses, wish I could.
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    Yes they take a little getting used to, but it is well worth it. Once you adapt to them they are great. Going down steps was the worst part for me till I got used to them. I did have to have a specific clip on lens made to shoot handguns with. That works great as it forces you to focus on the front site, since that is the distance it is made for.

Try it, I'm sure you will like it once you adjust.

Rich
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.
    2012 1026R TLB, Countyline 3pt splitter, EMP QA Snowplow.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Just a thought and a question... Since you had such good results (20-15) from the correction, have you looked into getting a "touch up" procedure done?

I know there are lots of considerations they have to take into account before doing the procedure or any subsequent corrections, but as a LASIK patient and having a brother who is and has had a "touch up" himself, they're not that uncommon and considering the success of your first time, a correction should be on the table at least.
    BigJim55 and Yamaguy like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RichBaxter View Post
    Yes they take a little getting used to, but it is well worth it. Once you adapt to them they are great. Going down steps was the worst part for me till I got used to them. I did have to have a specific clip on lens made to shoot handguns with. That works great as it forces you to focus on the front site, since that is the distance it is made for.

Try it, I'm sure you will like it once you adjust.

Rich
    Steps are an issue here as well. I've come to the point of not looking down for the next step.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Just a thought and a question... Since you had such good results (20-15) from the correction, have you looked into getting a "touch up" procedure done?

I know there are lots of considerations they have to take into account before doing the procedure or any subsequent corrections, but as a LASIK patient and having a brother who is and has had a "touch up" himself, they're not that uncommon and considering the success of your first time, a correction should be on the table at least.
    I am told what I am experiencing is just from age and sitting in front of a computer too much, that there is no correction. With that said, even if a correction could be done I don't know that I would make the attempt. My eyes were very bad and they were able to correct well beyond what the Dr expected, I guess I just don't want to push my luck.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I am told what I am experiencing is just from age and sitting in front of a computer too much, that there is no correction. With that said, even if a correction could be done I don't know that I would make the attempt. My eyes were very bad and they were able to correct well beyond what the Dr expected, I guess I just don't want to push my luck.
    I think "not pushing your luck" is smart, it's your eyes we are talking about after all. My eyes are quite bad and I have had glasses since 2nd grade and am 39 now. I have gone to the same optometrist since junior high. I have always contemplated having Lasik done, but the doc doesn't recommend it, so I haven't. I don't think it's "business insurance" on the doc's part. More of a concern for the long term safety of the eyes, way down the road. Don't want one of those "you remember that procedure you had 35 years ago" type of thing. As long as I can wear contacts and they aren't visibly sticking out of my eyes, I am ok. Ditto, what Gizmo says about it being a pain to buy glasses when you have "coke bottle lenses"...UGH!
    BigJim55 and tj1 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    ColonyPark, I had to go back to wearing glasses. After many, many years of wearing contacts my eyes got bad enough that with my contacts in I couldn't read a thing without using magnifying eye glasses also. I sure miss the contact days.
    ColonyPark and tj1 like this.
    Keith

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    My eyes were perfect until I started to law school at age 38. Doctor said it was my age; that your eyes change over the years and I needed bifocals. I eventually changed to the progressives, and I really like them...and as someone else said, they take a bit of getting used to. I have only got one good fitting in all they years; I still have to use reading glasses for the computer.
    Have wings, will travel.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast