Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Deer Ticks & Lyme Disease

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-26-2018 @ 07:34 PM
    Thanks

Deer Ticks & Lyme Disease

I have a cottage in a area of eastern Ontario which is considered a deer tick hotspot. These guys are a vector for lyme disease which can cause big health issues.
    Last year my wife found one attached to her and I found two (at different times) on myself. I went for a test which came back negative. The problem started about five years ago and seems to be getting worse every year. I note that the problem seems to be coming up the eastern US seaboard into eastern Canada.
    This problem is made worse with our huge deer population. I have just under 1.5 acres and usually have deer almost every day in the winter. I use insect repellent in the warm weather but it is only available with a maximum concentration of 30% DEET here in Canada. I buy my repellent in the US as I can get 98% DEET there. I cover up pretty well but in the hot weather it's hard. My dog wears a very good tick collar and is vaccinated for the disease. Apparently there is no vaccination for humans.
    I wonder if others on this site struggle with this and how you deal with it?
    This problem is starting to take some fun away from country living.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Our skeeters think 40% DEET is either butter or gravy. The max strength (advertised as 100% but it's not) stuff works.

My FIL got lymes disease from a tick bite. He doesn't travel out of the yard, but he manages to pick up way more ticks than I do being out in the woods. I honestly don't know how he does it as there's no tall grass to speak of where he goes and he rides a mobility scooter everywhere.

Using permethrin on clothes is reported to work very well for some cousins who have another place on our lake. They do the application process in the early summer when they open their cabin up and claim it lasts the entire season.

I tend to be wearing 18" muck boots so maybe that has something to do with my lack of ticks? I do get a couple a year, but I've never had the bullseye bite reaction, and they're mostly wood ticks rather than deer ticks.
    Uncle Wayne and Rideau like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideau View Post
    I have a cottage in a area of eastern Ontario which is considered a deer tick hotspot. These guys are a vector for lyme disease which can cause big health issues.
    Last year my wife found one attached to her and I found two (at different times) on myself. I went for a test which came back negative. The problem started about five years ago and seems to be getting worse every year. I note that the problem seems to be coming up the eastern US seaboard into eastern Canada.
    This problem is made worse with our huge deer population. I have just under 1.5 acres and usually have deer almost every day in the winter. I use insect repellent in the warm weather but it is only available with a maximum concentration of 30% DEET here in Canada. I buy my repellent in the US as I can get 98% DEET there. I cover up pretty well but in the hot weather it's hard. My dog wears a very good tick collar and is vaccinated for the disease. Apparently there is no vaccination for humans.
    I wonder if others on this site struggle with this and how you deal with it?
    This problem is starting to take some fun away from country living.
    The doc thought I possibly had it about 25 years ago, but he said it was cheaper to just treat me for it than it was to test for it, so that is what we did. I believe he just gave me an antibiotic of some kind. I had been feeling poorly, but was ok after that.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    It is actually easily treated if recognized, just with doxycycline I believe. It's if the diagnosis is delayed that problems arise. You can end up with lasting neurologic, rheumatic, and fatigue issues if its not caught early. It take 36+hours of the tick being on your person, so if you're diligent about checking yourself every evening, you should be OK. If you can't do it for yourself, and you're female, it sounds like Brad Paisley will help you out. Even if you do get infected, you're likely to develop the "bulls-eye rash", which is a pretty tell-tale sign, and then you need to get your butt to the doc for some antibiotics

Testing now is much easier since antibody assays and reagents are much easier, and cheaper, now. However, if you have the signs and symptons, and you were just at your cabin in Muskoka, you should just take the damn antibiotics.

It's been making it's way north and west for a lot longer than 5 years. It was part of my microbiology training in Saskatoon, and that was 1998. It's pretty rare around here, as the majority of our ticks are woodticks, but MAN are there lots of them!!!!

Not to stir up a hornets nest, but did you know that Jesse Ventura thinks that Lyme was created at Plum Island, just offshore from Old Lyme Connecticut??? Hee-hee......

-J.
    Levi and OxPath like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    As hunters we spend a lot of time in the woods all during the year and use every precaution we can to guard against ticks. We know it is serious as we had a neighbor that nearly died from it. Be safe out there this spring and summer
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I'm not a fan of the idea of killing our turkey for this very reason. Those birds are tick terminators and I will do what I can to make them feel welcome at my property.

I'm not so hell bent on their safety as to prevent people hunting them, but I've had neighbors ask permission and I did turn them down. The wife thinks she wants to try wild turkey so I told her to buy a license and go shoot one then. That shut her up about it.
    Uncle Wayne, Levi and Rideau like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Lyme Disease is not the only thing to worry about with tick bites. Ehrlicosis (sp?) is another and I read of 2 new infections found in the last 2 years. IF you have the bullseye rash you already have the parasite in your bloodstream. Only your body's immune system will determine whether you develope full blown Lyme right away or at a distant time in the future. Lot's of research needed in controlling this and it goes mostly low funded.

Jesse Venture went from full halfwit to .250 halfwit with his Plum Island theory. I gave him points for reading up on what has gone on there (PIADCNY) for decades doing animal disease research for agriculture AND the military. A few years ago the government wanted to move this incredibly dangerous facility to, of all places, the center if the continental U.S.... Manhatten, KS. Great idea...?! So far as I read it's not carved in stone just yet, so Plum Island is moping along with outdated infrastructure and facilities.

Jesse's theory, for those non-conspiricy folks, goes along the line that research was being done for using ticks to spread bio-warfare of many varieties and some Lyme infected ticks made their way to the area of Lyme CT. via ducks or water mammals travelling back and forth across Long Island Sound. Lyme, where the disease first centered, is directly in line with Plum Island. Ticks are very resistant to water.

Early American history readers may come across Dutch explorer's and ship captain's logs containing references to diseased indigenous peoples in the Hudson River Valley cir. late 1500's-1600's. Logs described many instances of lethargic and sick natives by the hundreds and forests being overun with "wood lice" (ticks) so thick they hindered exploration... As soon as industry began deforesting for tanning, firewood and lumber the numbers of ticks went unrecorded They also began the near extermination of white tail deer one of the important carriers in the life cycle of deer ticks. Notice that recently (50yrs.) the deer herds again began to totally overrun forests in the near same time frame of new spreading of ticks...

Manhattan KS.... animal diseases.... hummm... what could possibly go wrong with that...?
    Dingeryote, Levi, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Best prevention, tuck your pants legs into your socks, and inspect yourself for ticks every morning, and every evening. When you are in the shower is a great time. As stated, they do have to be attached for a few hours before they can transmit the organism. And spraying your clothes can help, but I hate the chemicals on my clothes and me, as much as I hate the blood thirsty creatures.

Tick control via natural means works well. Guineas and chickens love to eat the little blood suckers, with guineas thinking they are the equivalent of a T-bone steak to us. While it might be called the "Deer Tick". it also enjoys a wide variety of hosts, such as rabbits, and other small, furry critters. So, eliminating the hosts of the tick will be difficult.

Also spread by ticks.......Ehrlichia and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. We've seen many cases of Ehrlichia in Texas, for about as many years as Lyme Disease has been known to exist.

edit; Jer is correct about the Doxycycline treating most of the early cases, but some cases are very resistant, and Doxycycline has been in short supply and the price has gone through the roof in the last few years, from what I have been told.

And, if you are in optimum health, and keep your pets in great health, (not just OK, but truly thriving), ticks do not get on you or your pet as readily as the less robust. We've all seen a household with several dogs, and one is covered in ticks, and the others barely have any, if even one. I think the underlying health of the critters is the difference. So, take care of yourselves!!

One other thing, if you live where Fire Ants are a problem, ticks will become extinct. The Fire Ants will eat them. However, if you have not yet had the pleasure of getting into a Fire Ant mound, while mowing or weedeating, consider yourself lucky. I'd rather deal with the ticks.
    Last edited by farmgirl19; 03-22-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    Uncle Wayne, Levi, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

KD7CAO (03-23-2015)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:40 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,271 Posts
    We have a pretty large population of Deer Ticks here. And as we are both outside all day everyday in the nice weather we pick them up all the time.

It's kind of weird - I can spend all day out in the brush and might pick up one but usually none. If my wife is in the same area for 10 mintues she will have at least 2-3. I guess it may have to do with ones metabolism or skin oils that attracks them?

I have never worried about it and have never used anything to try to prevent it. However we do use a generic version of Front Line that we get at Wal-Mart called Hartz Ultra Guard. This stuff is fantastic and does last a whole month. Being he's a big boy (200#) we give him a double dose. He spends most of his days sniffing around in the brush and might get 1 or 2 ticks a month.

For the few ticks I've had on me over the years I've never noticed the red ring rash. I was tested a few times for Lyme a couple years ago when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis as the symptoms are similar but all came back negative.
    Levi likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    We have a pretty large population of Deer Ticks here. And as we are both outside all day everyday in the nice weather we pick them up all the time.

It's kind of weird - I can spend all day out in the brush and might pick up one but usually none. If my wife is in the same area for 10 mintues she will have at least 2-3. I guess it may have to do with ones metabolism or skin oils that attracks them?
    I have never worried about it and have never used anything to try to prevent it. However we do use a generic version of Front Line that we get at Wal-Mart called Hartz Ultra Guard. This stuff is fantastic and does last a whole month. Being he's a big boy (200#) we give him a double dose. He spends most of his days sniffing around in the brush and might get 1 or 2 ticks a month.

For the few ticks I've had on me over the years I've never noticed the red ring rash. I was tested a few times for Lyme a couple years ago when I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis as the symptoms are similar but all came back negative.
    Nope. That is what I was saying about a group of dogs too. I think it deals with the basic underlying health of an individual. A good diet, less vaccinations (the preservative in them is a heavy metal..... Mercury.) Exercise, at the best level one can, etc., seems to make a huge difference in how enticing one is to the parasites. They tend to latch on to the weakest host.
    Levi and Rideau like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast