Collecting Hobbies, wondering if there are any other Scripophilists In the GTT Family
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Collecting Hobbies, wondering if there are any other Scripophilists In the GTT Family

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts

Collecting Hobbies, wondering if there are any other Scripophilists In the GTT Family

The hobby of collecting paper stock certificates is known as Scripophily. Now some will ask why bother to collect these but like any collection, if you have to ask why, then it likely wouldn't interest you.

I began collecting these many years ago when they were issued to you for your ownership in the specific equity. As I purchased shares in various companies, I noticed that some companies really produced very nice certificates, very detailed and intricately designed and quite colorful, far more than what was necessary to merely be functional. The extent of design and color which went into some certificates is quite impressive, especially considering these were often produced well before the technology made this type of production much easier.

I presently have approximately 10,000 different certificates in my collection. They vary from enterprises involving the ownership of the Titanic, the infamous Pullman Car Company which made luxurious rail cars and also held one of the most violent responses to an organized labor strike to automotive companies which were arround for a very limited time in the early 1900's. I have an extensive collection of Air Line certificates and we quickly forget many of the airlines which came and went along the way. For example, Eastern, Pan Am Air, Trump Air, Hughes Aviation and many others.

I also collect life insurance company policy documents from prior to the 1940's. I have contracts which were entirely written in a calligraphy style writing by hand, from the first word / page to the very last. My collection of these is much smaller and less than 30 total documents. The oldest document I have was issued in the 1870's.

The other odd thing I have taken to collecting is Encyclopedia Sets, and I have complete sets starting in the 1890's to the 1970's. My goal was to have a set of encyclopedias for each decade. They are really interesting to read through and see the changes such as the remapping of Europe numerous times. The way they provided information, for the most part, was very factual and certainly not politically biased as things are today. Many young people today have never seen a set of encyclopedias and are pretty clueless to using them the way many of us did as we grew up.

The old Life Insurance policy contracts are much more difficult to locate than stock certificates as the issuing companies often required the beneficiary surrender the original issued contracts back to the insurance company upon the filing of the beneficiary claimants statement. The reason for this practice was to prevent someone from finding the contract, years after the initial death claim was paid and then inquiring with the Life Insurer about the validity of the contract.

Back in the "old days", it was a time consuming administrative task to check on the status of a policy which someone "found" many years after the claim was paid and the original file was "dead filed". That is the term used for old files held after their required IRS record retention period post death claim payment. Now of course, it merely takes seconds to verify the status.

So please, tell us about anything you collect, besides tractors. This should be interesting....Thanks for responding.
    glc, Gizmo2, Carvel Loafer and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Very, very, cool. I had no idea that that was a type of collecting! Do you have a pic? I might have to try it.

I Don't collect much other than bachmann electric trains. All new stock. I'm not very far in my collection yet- which might be a good thing! Will try to get a picture soon.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    If I'm to believe what I was told by an antique book/map/paper dealer, stock certificates were made as fancy as possible to combat any ol' Joe from printing off a batch of his own, like money before good USB printers.

I used to collect anything New York Central RR and I also have some stocks bearing the near photographic likeness of Cornelius Vanderbilt. They are as fine an engraving as any Twenty $ bill's of the time.
    farmgirl19 and SulleyBear like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Ok, I came on this topic as I didn't know what Scripophily was. I also didn't know people collected these kind of things. New to me. Thanks for the knowledge.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Tools, Tractors, Trumpets and Harley Davidson's. Have way too many tools but there was a time when I used them for a living. Also have everything inherited from my Father and Grandfather. I'm down to two tractors, three vintage trumpets and three HD's after selling off some of the fleet.
    Levi and SulleyBear like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    I don't collect anything. I don't know....I've always been the type that if something isn't useful it doesn't stay around.

I do have a lot of books but those are read - not to just look at on a shelf.

I do have lots of tools but they all have a purpose.

I tried taking up collection something when I first had to stop working to help fill my time - just couldn't do it and don't understand it for some reason.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 07:43 AM
    Thanks
    Cool, would love to see a few pics of some.

My collecting addiction is vintage camping trailers. A little more bulky that certificates.
    HydroHarold, Levi and SulleyBear like this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Used to collect vintage soda fountain glassware and paraphernalia, but ran out of steam and out of room. Anyone want to buy a garage full of old soda glasses, ice cream dippers and dishes?
    Carvel Loafer likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    I collect diecast tractors, trucks and what not. Mostly Ertl Deere stuff in 1/64 scale. I don't have space for big stuff.

I've started branching out into other brands. I've got a bunch of this stuff.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150405_114428.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	581.7 KB 
ID:	43263
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

12. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    Nothing as cool as SulleyBear for sure.
    I used to collect as much official company paperwork as I could find from the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie, and Conrail railroads. I also used to collect baseball cards, and NASCAR diecast of mostly Jeff Gordon. Key words "used to". Haven't done any collecting for quite a while.

I guess it's not really considered a collection, but I do have an extensive collection so to speak of HO railroad equipment from my "basement empire building" days.
    HydroHarold, Levi and SulleyBear like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520