Anyone know about pools and pumps?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone know about pools and pumps?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks

We have an above ground pool that is 27' in diameter and 48" deep, about 17k gallons. Our pump died, it is a Hayward 1.5 hp.

Power-Flo LX | Pumps | Above Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products

I don't understand the whole "Pump Output (GPM) vs. Total Resistance To Flow (Feet of Head)". What I want is a pump that will turn over the water twice every 24 hours. We plan to run the pump 24 / 7 to see if that helps cut down on the cost of chemical and eases maintenance, I read it will.

I am thinking 1 hp pump in the link above is more than enough just want to make sure since I don't understand the resistance nomenclature.

Could I get away with 3/4 hp if I can find one?
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    We have an above ground pool that is 27' in diameter and 48" deep, about 17k gallons. Our pump died, it is a Hayward 1.5 hp.

I don't understand the whole "Pump Output (GPM) vs. Total Resistance To Flow (Feet of Head)". What I want is a pump that will turn over the water twice every 24 hours. We plan to run the pump 24 / 7 to see if that helps cut down on the cost of chemical and eases maintenance, I read it will.

I am thinking 1 hp pump in the link above is more than enough just want to make sure since I don't understand the resistance nomenclature.

Head is just how high you can pump the water. I think what you have will work... second opinion?
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Thanks
    I know a little about pumps, hydraulics and physics and can share some info.

First off, here is a link to a manual I found with a quick Google search, it looks like some good info:
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/staritecommTM.pdf

Feet of head for a pump is basically the height the pump can raise a column of water. It is (IIRC) directly related to the pump's output pressure. When related to GPM (gallons per minute), the higher you need to raise the water, the pump will be able to move less water in a minute (lower GPM).

Passing water through anything like an elbow, long length of piping, type of pipe (corrugated vs smooth), filter, skimmer, nozzle, etc will cause resistance to the water movement. This is related back to a feet of head measuring unit, the more restriction, the more effect on the pump's ability to raise the water, or in other words, reducing it's flow rate.

On the table you referenced, you can see that the flow rate (GPM) goes down as the "Total Resistance to Flow (Feet of Head)" goes up. Now in a pool situation, the total amount you really have to "raise" the water is zero feet, because you are just circulating water from the same "tank". But your filter, strainer and everything else you have connected to the pump's output makes the pump "believe" that it is pumping water uphill, that reduces your output.

Depending on your particular system, the final GPM of your pump will vary on what you have connected. And as your filter fills with dirt, leaves and begins to "clog" your flow resistance will increase, again reducing yor GPM even further.

To answer your question of using a smaller pump, if you just wanted to circulate your pool water 2X over 24 hours, you probably could use a 1/4 HP pump, but don't expect to pump it through a filter.

I am no expert, but I think this explanation should make sense.

Just my 2 cents.
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,608 Posts
    I think you would be asking for trouble going to a smaller hp .
    As for using less chemicals , when we had our 24' round above grd pool , found using ar. solar cover helped . I know where you leave you don't need the hotter water. If no one was going to use the pool , say in 6 hrs , we put the solar cover on . Yes PIA at times but seemed to cut chemical use by at least 1/4 maybe in half. Just my 2 cents.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    I think you would be asking for trouble going to a smaller hp .
    As for using less chemicals , when we had our 24' round above grd pool , found using ar. solar cover helped . I know where you leave you don't need the hotter water. If no one was going to use the pool , say in 6 hrs , we put the solar cover on . Yes PIA at times but seemed to cut chemical use by at least 1/4 maybe in half. Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. The more the filter plugs the more trouble will be had.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

etcallhome(04-09-2015)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks

The way I see it you have about 17,130gal pool. You want to turn it over two times a day so that is 34,260gal. You divide by 24hrs and get the minimum the pump needs to be able to do, or in your case 1,428gal/hour.

To give you an idea I run a Hayward sand filter on my pond. I think I a 1-1/2hp. My base clean filter psi is 8lbs. There is 0.433527501928psi to each foot of head. So that means it is like my pump is pushing the water 18.5ft high. Now the recommendation is to flush the filter once it 8-10psi above the clean pressure. So that is about 40 feet of head in total when the filter needs flushed.

I would not be looking at a smaller pump I would keep it the same or go bigger.

I would agree with etcallhome and say the best thing to lessen the chemical usage it to get a cover. You lose a lot to sun exposure and evaporation. The filter just traps physical solids and doesn't do much for chemical load.

Here is a link to my pond filter thread.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ad.php?t=10492

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by felixm22; 04-06-2015 at 06:23 AM.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to felixm22 For This Useful Post:

etcallhome(04-09-2015)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    I would suggest keeping the same size pump and doing as everyone has recommended, get a solar cover. Nothing burns off chemicals as much as direct sunlight. FWIW the hotter it gets ambient the faster chlorine will burn off in a pool. When it is real hot here our chlorine usage almost doubles, although we have solar heaters on ours as well.
    John

Case 1070 Agri King with Cab loader and 12 Speed Power Shift

JD X485 with 62C deck
    JD 425
    JD 325 With 48 inch Deck and 30 Mechanical Tiller
    JD Gator TH 6x4
    JD 216H 46 mower and 33 tiller
    Stihl MS250, KM130R

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Saskman49 For This Useful Post:

etcallhome(04-09-2015)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-22-2015 @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks

the right pump

Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post

Go on Haywards site for the pump calculator to reduce the cost of chlorine cover the pool the sun burns it up I don't think running the pump in the nite time will help you I turn mine off

15. The Following User Says Thank You to snaponron For This Useful Post:

etcallhome(04-09-2015)

16. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    I think someone already said it but, bigger pump faster turn over, less time running.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast