Chicken Coop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Chicken Coop

  1. Top | #1
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts

    Chicken Coop

    Have any of you "built" a coop from one of the kits? TSC has a couple on sale this week, but they do not get good reviews.

    I need something that will house 3-4 chickens, that is movable (preferably by hand/on wheels), that can let me add a turnout area, if it doesn't already have one. During the days, I'd like to eventually let the chickens free roam, but in severe temp extremes, and at night, they'll need to be cooped to keep them safe.

    I also prefer not to spend $500+ on a kit, for something that is going to roost and crap in it, especially if I find that predators get into it, no matter how much effort I put into making it safe. Will be an expensive pile of plywood and mesh fence, in that case.

    So, any of you have experience with any of the kits? Pros/cons/easy mods? Links?

    Been wanting to do this for several years, and might not get it done in time to put chicks in it this Spring, but could get it here, and be ready to assemble it next March and have ready for the April chick delivery.

    Thanks, y'all!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,670
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 880 Times in 674 Posts
    The "kits" are usually pretty cheaply made. Junk wood stained to look pretty.

    For 3 or 4 chickens you can make one out of an large crate (check with a moving company near you!) or an IBC tote. Or, if someone in your area is selling one, a cheap tool shed works fine too.

    This is sort of a recurring discussion over at backyardchickens.com

    Lots of people post pics so you can always get some ideas by browsing.
    farmgirl19, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    Zebrafive (07-07-2015)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Location
    Cartersville (NW) GA
    Posts
    2,380
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 365 Times in 267 Posts
    I built a couple of Catawba Coops that seem to work well. Had less than $150 in each if I remember correctly. The two I built were for friends and are still in use some 7 or 8 years later.

    Catawba ConvertiCoops - Urbane Coop Plans for Urban Chickens

    Last edited by psrumors; 04-06-2015 at 03:25 PM.
    Bubber, farmgirl19, Levi and 1 others like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

    Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

    Stihl MS361, FS250R

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    johnH123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,390
    Thanks
    463
    Thanked 328 Times in 276 Posts

    sorry to tell you...

    But,

    Only sissies build stuff from kits
    grnspot110 and BigJim55 like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

    Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

  8. Top | #5
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:07 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,722
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Have any of you "built" a coop from one of the kits? TSC has a couple on sale this week, but they do not get good reviews.

    I need something that will house 3-4 chickens, that is movable (preferably by hand/on wheels), that can let me add a turnout area, if it doesn't already have one. During the days, I'd like to eventually let the chickens free roam, but in severe temp extremes, and at night, they'll need to be cooped to keep them safe.

    I also prefer not to spend $500+ on a kit, for something that is going to roost and crap in it, especially if I find that predators get into it, no matter how much effort I put into making it safe. Will be an expensive pile of plywood and mesh fence, in that case.

    So, any of you have experience with any of the kits? Pros/cons/easy mods? Links?

    Been wanting to do this for several years, and might not get it done in time to put chicks in it this Spring, but could get it here, and be ready to assemble it next March and have ready for the April chick delivery.

    Thanks, y'all!
    FG, You're going to raise chickens with a couple of beagles around the house? I'm sure you have them well trained right?. When I was a kid our family beagle, PeeWee loved chickens (among other things). He got into the habit of bringing chickens home occasionally and my Italian Grandmother figured, well, they were pretty fresh so why not? She'd roast them. The funny thing was he'd appear out of nowhere, proud as heck carrying a five pound bird home with nothing but a broken neck. He'd leave it on the front step and then stand guard until someone did something with it. I can still picture it.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  9. Top | #6
    felixm22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Posts
    3,964
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 453 Times in 340 Posts
    Did you hear about the chicken getting a new sporty car? It was a chicken coop.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

    Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

    Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

  10. Top | #7
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    SGS; I'm more worried about foxes, bobcats, snakes and raccoons than I am my Beagles. But I have owned a Beagle or two thru the years, that I'd have had to keep a close watch on, with chickens around.
    Superglidesport and BigJim55 like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Location
    Cartersville (NW) GA
    Posts
    2,380
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 365 Times in 267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    SGS; I'm more worried about foxes, bobcats, snakes and raccoons than I am my Beagles. But I have owned a Beagle or two thru the years, that I'd have had to keep a close watch on, with chickens around.
    I've lost more chickens to domestic animals than all other critters combined. Animal owners suck when it comes to confining their animals....
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

    Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

    Stihl MS361, FS250R

  12. Top | #9
    MDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Location
    S.E. WI
    Posts
    3,985
    Thanks
    282
    Thanked 638 Times in 413 Posts
    I building a coop now. The plans are in my head, the frame is done. I challenged my self to build it from wood laying around the farm. It's 4x4, should have made it a little smaller so I could make better use of the plywood. I have too much waste at 4x4. I'm thinking I'm going to put it on 1.5 foot posts to keep it off the ground. My neighbor gave me his old run so I'm going to attach the coop to that.

    I'm framing up the nesting box area about 2 feet up and make the lower 2 foot with removable wood panels for the summer. The front will have an opening to get into the run and a door on the other side to let them free range while we are out there.

    When winter comes I'll seal the bottom with 1.5 foot strips of plywood and move the coop near the barn and make a small run to attach to it.

    We were going to get 3 chicks. Somehow we have 6 and right now they are living in my %$^&&* HOUSE.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150329_190632038[1].jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	43369
    Mike

    Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

    300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

  13. Top | #10
    Myasis Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:48 PM
    Location
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts

    I tried to recycle...

    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    I building a coop now. The plans are in my head, the frame is done. I challenged my self to build it from wood laying around the farm. It's 4x4, should have made it a little smaller so I could make better use of the plywood. I have too much waste at 4x4. I'm thinking I'm going to put it on 1.5 foot posts to keep it off the ground. My neighbor gave me his old run so I'm going to attach the coop to that.

    I'm framing up the nesting box area about 2 feet up and make the lower 2 foot with removable wood panels for the summer. The front will have an opening to get into the run and a door on the other side to let them free range while we are out there.

    When winter comes I'll seal the bottom with 1.5 foot strips of plywood and move the coop near the barn and make a small run to attach to it.

    We were going to get 3 chicks. Somehow we have 6 and right now they are living in my %$^&&* HOUSE.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150329_190632038[1].jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	43369
    When my wife decided she wanted chickens, she asked if a chicken coop could be built with lumber we had here and there in the barn and garage. I said "Sure, why not?" The first few pieces of wood were so dried out that they just split when I tried to hammer a nail through, so I built this in the driveway using new materials:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKWMqrXkDQ

    Then I moved it to the back yard like this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQgcY6wQgXo

    The project allowed me to buy all kinds of tools (compound sliding miter saw, Paslode nail guns, etc) I otherwise would've never purchased. LOL

    She's very happy with her coop.
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •