Fraudulent Income Tax Filings, Both Federal and State, Has this happend to you?
Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By SulleyBear
  • 3 Post By farmgirl19
  • 4 Post By DRobinson

Thread: Fraudulent Income Tax Filings, Both Federal and State, Has this happend to you?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts

Fraudulent Income Tax Filings, Both Federal and State, Has this happend to you?

Fraudulent Federal and State Income Tax Returns filed on your behalf

Several friends of mine along with numerous other people I have spoken with have filed their Federal and or State Income Tax returns and when they submitted them, the IRS or State Treasury (in some cases both) have responded by notifying these people that their tax returns for the current year required have already been submitted. In some cases, the returns have already been processed and the refunds have been sent (mailed or electronically transferred) to SOMEONE ELSE or in a few other cases, the people received a notice from the IRS seeking additional information for a return which the actual taxpayer had NOT YET SUBMITTED.

The common link to the one's I have seen and to those I have spoken with are that all of the returns had been submitted electronically, both in this year at and least one prior tax year. Each of those whom I have spoken with have also indicated that in the prior year, their returns were submitted via electronic remittance with having used either the Turbo Tax program, some had used the H&R Block software and even a few of them were submitted electronically by their tax preparer. I have yet to speak with anyone who actually remitted a paper return last year and experienced the identity theft of their tax refunds.

As you may know, the Federal law now requires that all "Paid Preparers" must remit their clients returns electronically and they are not allowed (well at least they aren't supposed to) remit the clients returns in the old fashioned "paper" method of remittance. I ONLY submit my returns in the old fashioned manner as I want someone at the Irs to have to handle my return instead of merely hitting buttons.

Several people were entitled to refunds which were sent to the fraudsters electronic accounts. This is created a significant mess for those involved as the tax refunds to which they may be entitled are stolen by someone else and to make matters even worse, for those who have signed up for ObamaCare and who have filed for a "premium subsidy" the information I have seen thus far indicates that the subsidy information was manipulated to significantly inflate the subsidy, which in turn dramatically increases the refund, which the actual taxpayer isn't entitled to based upon their real income and correct subsidy.

Several of these people are experiencing serious troubles with their ObamScare insurance now because the correct subsidy is being withheld because in the Governments eyes, the taxpayer has received a refund of money to which they are not entitled. To futher "F" things up, the IRS will NOT provide any details to the actual taxpayer about the fraudulent return which was filed, so the necessary corrections and adjustments can be processed. In fact the IRS will NOT provide any information to those who have been vicimized other than to say that they already have their 2014 Tax Return and it has resulted in the CORRECT and ACCURATE returns being sent back to the taxpayers.

I could go on and on about the problem and complications, but first I wanted people to be aware of this issue and for the rest of our GTT Family to keep their eyes open and to be as proactive as possible in checking and dealing with this matter. I knew the HealthCare.Gov website was very weak security wise and it now seems to be the source of many, but certainly not all of the information stolen from victims.

Also, please be advised that another source of information stolen is from health Care sources where you submit your identity and provide your information as well as a copy of your drivers license or other proof of I.D.

Another very important warning to be aware of If you get an Explanation of benefit form, also referred to as an EOB from anyone which indicated you or a loved one has received a test or medical care for which you have no recollection, MAKE SURE to contact your medical insurer IMMEDIATELY. Several people I have spoken with have been paying copayments, deductibles or coinsurance amounts to providers when in reality they owe nothing because the entire claim was fraudulent and the thiefs are merely stealing claim money from your insurer.

If either of these have happened to you or anyone you know of, please make sure they contact the IRS and other tax authorities IMMEDIATELY and in writing to put them on notice that there is a fraudulent transaction occuring. If you get letters from the IRS or others asking for more tax information about the return you remitted and you haven't yet remitted that return, respond imediately to attempt to thwart the payment of your tax refunds to some thief out there.

It is truly pathetic how some people will steal from anyone in anyway instead of actually earning their money.

Oh, one more thing. I have also seen FAKE warning notices from Insurance companies and the IRS claiming that your information has been stolen and they are offering you FREE identity theft protection to help you deal with the problem. It is the FREE Identity theft Service in SOME CASES who is actually stealing your info when you provide it to them thinking they are going to help you.

You really have to be careful when you are dealing with anyone in any form. make sure that the website you are on matches the actual company you are supposed to be dealing with. Make sure they are providing a secure transaction. Make sure they are really legitimate, even if they appear to be. Scammers are everywhere and getting more bold and clever in their efforts to steal from those few of us who actually work and produce something in our economy.

If you have any elderly family members or friends with whom you help on their tax, insurance or other financial matters, watch the information these people get VERY CLOSELY as another common approach is to target the elderly as they sometimes have more difficulty noticing the improper activity which leads to someone stealing from them either outright, thru fake insurance claims or false tax returns and other dubious methods.

If you have questions or issues, I will provide whatever assistance I can, just post them in this thread. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but it is important we all have our eyes wide open on these matters.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

davidiowa (04-07-2015), farmgirl19 (04-07-2015), Gizmo2 (04-07-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM
    Thanks
    Hopefully the IRS and Federal Government will seek out these fraudsters and make an example of them where ever they may be.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Hopefully the IRS and Federal Government will seek out these fraudsters and make an example of them where ever they may be.
    Most likely, they'll make the honest folks pay twice the taxes, for having had a fraudulent filing.
    etcallhome, grnspot110 and DeereNC like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 01:11 PM
    Thanks
    Happened to me last year. Now I have to get a special PIN each year from the IRS.
    2006 JD 2520, 200cx loader, 62d mower, ballast box, 54" snowblower, 3 pt. quick hitch, 5' box blade, 1948 Ford 8n, dirt scoop, 6' Dearborn blade, 2 bottom Dearborn plow, Jinwa 6" 3 pt. wood chipper, MacBook Pro, and other toys

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,443 Posts
    I thought the IRS and Federal Government were fraudsters.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    While I certainly agree with the sentiment, I would have much more confidence in this being quickly rooted out if it were a private company.

Those who I have spoken with, including one of my closest friends, gets virtually NO helpful communication from the IRS on the status of his case or even what actions, if any are being taken. I just spoke to him minutes ago and he said that the only thing the IRS is telling him is that "his refund has been delayed INDEFINATELY". Sadly, he sold some real estate which created some net losses which means he would be getting a significant refund (Mid 5 figures) but in the meantime, he is told to keep waiting.

The truly amazing thing about his case is the IRS has sent him written communications indicating the fraudulent return was filed on December 27, 2014 for the 2014 Tax Year. I have NEVER heard of the IRS accepting returns for processing BEFORE the actual tax year has closed. On their website, they indicate that they will NOT accept 2014 Tax returns for individuals until at least 12 days into January 2015.

After all, you can't know your entire tax picture until you have gotten Form 1099's, W2's, etc. even if you have a very simple return as the deadline for submitting the required tax forms to those whom you owe the information is generally January 31st of the year following the tax year, so I have until the end of January 2015 to send out 1099's for independent income earned in tax year 2014. Granted, you can send them out sooner, but many of you know that many investment companies will send out corrected forms late in January even if you have already gotten forms earlier. This means you are required to file an amended return if you have already filed a return for that tax year and then received "revised tax forms", so often it's best to wait until early February to make sure you have all of the necessary income source reports.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Most likely, they'll make the honest folks pay twice the taxes, for having had a fraudulent filing.
    Already, it appears that some who have health insurance through HealthCare.Gov have had issues with their premium subsidy because when the fraudulent returns were filed, one of the fastest ways to generate a significant refund would be to report your income much lower than what was used to calculate the previous years premium subsidies, which would increase the return, possibly significantly. Then the money paid to the crooks is actually money under the taxpayers Social Security Number which they would not be entitled to, so there have been many cases where the taxpayer are being asked to repay excessive subsidies or risk losing their current subsidies.

It is a real mess. Meanwhile, every week which passes while the IRS is "working on this" is time when you need to maintain your health insurance, but with the issue of the correct subsidy amount, the insurance companies will not wait forever for this to be resolved before demanding their payment from the federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by davidiowa View Post
    Happened to me last year. Now I have to get a special PIN each year from the IRS.
    If you don't mind sharing with us, were you submitting your returns using one of the TurboTax or H&R Block software or did you have someone else prepare your return for you? In prior years, did you mail actual paper tax returns to the IRS or were they submitted electronically? So far, it appears that the source of theft is coming from the electronic submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    I thought the IRS and Federal Government were fraudsters.
    "Were"? Actually I think that in many cases, they ARE..........

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,613 Posts
    My preparer has wanted me to file electronically for years . I mailed my a week ago today. State is still laying , and planning on mailing one day this week so I don't forget.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    My preparer has wanted me to file electronically for years . I mailed my a week ago today. State is still laying , and planning on mailing one day this week so I don't forget.
    I like the paper copy also. I have filed my actual return in October of each year for so long I can't recall the last time I actually mailed the return in April.

While this doesn't change the tax remittance requirements and obviously, I must pay what I owe by the 15th of April each year, you can actually make retirement plan contributions for the tax year up until the time your return is actually filed. Being self employed, I haven't gotten a refund other than for rounding errors (few bucks) in a LONG time.

Also, since I fund a SEP for myself and my wife, we can each put 25% of our income up to $52,000 each, into the Tax Deductible retirement account. Once we got established on the routine, we have always just kept the funding on this schedule.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,213 Posts
    My co-work has a friend who prepared on-line(I believe Turbo Tax). They had to pay, so it was put on hold until they gathered the funds to send to Federal. They later tried to complete the on-line work; and found out someone move information around and received a refund under their names. They had to file a Police report; and it is under investigation. "bummer"

My CPA, who is also my Tax preparer, file our(me & the wife) and the returns has have already been deposited into my bank account.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Tons of it this year. I have never used anything but my accountant. We have efiled for at least 20 years and this is the first problem.

I have a post of my experience this year. IRS seems to be on top of it and if you do the proper paperwork, our refund was here in about 3 weeks.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements