• 1 Post By Jeff B
  • 1 Post By rydplrs

Thread: Affordable Night vision?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Thanks

Affordable Night vision?

I'm looking to get some sort of night vision gear for use around the yard and possibly to take in the deer stand. To be clear, I don't really need this, but I would like to have it, so I don't want to spend a boatload of money on it. I'm looking for something handheld like a monocular, or binocular. I've read about light wavelengths and what is better, less visible, but there is a lot out there.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm looking at devices like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Bushnell-Eq...-20&th=1&psc=1
    BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Thanks
    Zero expeireance.......Search the Hog Hunting vidio's....Theres some nice stuff out there.
    With luck the price is dropping. Older units were crazy high and subject to failure with improper use.

I'd need one that was all dumbed up and simple or it would be wrecked or just to much pita to use.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    These work nice, but ir has limited range, even with a good illuminator. The optics planet illuminator is much better than the one atn includes.

ATN X-Sight 4K Pro Edition 3-14x Smart HD Day/Night Riflescope | Up to 21% Off 4.1 Star Rating w/ Free SH
    Bubber and BigJim55 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    It has been a while since I entertained purchasing night vision so I must rely on my shaky memory.
    I'm sorry I cannot comment with direct experience concerning the optic you linked.
    I shop most of my optics here.Night Vision and Thermal Sights

SWFA Outdoors.
    I always tried to consider multi use, think SHTF scenarios with night vision, meaning I would prefer an optic that did not rely on any illuminating beam of light being projected from it. This would appear as a searchlight to a passive night vision wearing adversary.

If you are straight up game hunting only then from what I found I thought thermal devices looked a little more attractive to me because a warm blooded game animal would be quite lit up even behind tall grass or light leaf canopies.

Also many of the devices I looked at had a lifespan to them, similar to Tritium illuminated sights, where they age and have reduced enhancement over time. I figured if I ever bought such a unit I would demand a VERY fresh manufacturing date.

It has been years since I shopped, and the technology was incredible then. Maybe some more affordable options now.
    mark02tj likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks

Affordable Night vision?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    It has been a while since I entertained purchasing night vision so I must rely on my shaky memory.
    I'm sorry I cannot comment with direct experience concerning the optic you linked.
    I shop most of my optics here.Night Vision and Thermal Sights

SWFA Outdoors.
    I always tried to consider multi use, think SHTF scenarios with night vision, meaning I would prefer an optic that did not rely on any illuminating beam of light being projected from it. This would appear as a searchlight to a passive night vision wearing adversary.

If you are straight up game hunting only then from what I found I thought thermal devices looked a little more attractive to me because a warm blooded game animal would be quite lit up even behind tall grass or light leaf canopies.

Also many of the devices I looked at had a lifespan to them, similar to Tritium illuminated sights, where they age and have reduced enhancement over time. I figured if I ever bought such a unit I would demand a VERY fresh manufacturing date.

It has been years since I shopped, and the technology was incredible then. Maybe some more affordable options now.
    What you say isn’t really wrong. I have a quick release that lets the scope become a monocle.

Ir range is limited to the range of an illuminator. The one with my scope would enhance your linked monocular s view. Life span is still limited on any ccd, thermal or ir. That said there is so much light pollution in my area that the scope works in day mode 24/7.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    What you say isn’t really wrong. I have a quick release that lets the scope become a monocle.

Ir range is limited to the range of an illuminator. The one with my scope would enhance your linked monocular s view. Life span is still limited on any ccd, thermal or ir. That said there is so much light pollution in my area that the scope works in day mode 24/7.
    It is good to have one that can peek through the rifle scope.
    While I stated I shopped at SWFA, I didn't mean to imply I always purchased there. They have a nice resource but when I pick a model then I shop around for the best price I can find.
    IR is absolutely more affordable than thermal, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 08-07-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements