What type weather stations are y'all using?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: What type weather stations are y'all using?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks

What type weather stations are y'all using?

Just wondering which brand weather stations are in use on this site. I'm needing one. Thanks
    John Deere 5320 4WD with 520 FEL, MX-8 Mower, X585 with 45 FEL, X300, LT 133

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,016 Times in 2,184 Posts
    There are basically 2 choices - low end and high end with nothing in between.

Accurite and Ambient Weather are the low end. Good enough equipment for a hobbyist but they only seem to last a few years. They can run from $125 to around $300.

Davis is the high end. I’ve had my Vantage Pro2 for 14 years now without an issue. Much more accurate than the others also. But to buy that station today is around $700. Their Vantage Vue is much better around $300. But to get it to automatically send info to the internet will cost you another $200.

As I said I know of nothing in between.

My Davis system now finally needs some work after all these years so I just bought an Ambient Weather WS2902 to try out for $135. The jury is still out as I just installed it yesterday. But for $135 gets you a decent color console and automatic uploading to Weather Underground.
    trboxman and deere36 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

trboxman (08-07-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Thanks
    At home, I just ask Alexa. Otherwise, I use The Weather Channel app on my iPhone.
    JD4044M and JD4044M like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks
    "Alexa, how high was that gust of wind just now?"

I am following this thread be cause I too would like a personal weather station. I have found what coaltrain posted to be true about pricing, along with there seem to be two types when it comes to wind and rain collection. Well, there are probably more 'types' when it comes to methodology. What I meant was the the weather stations that are all built into one assembly and the ones that are individual components. From what I've researched, the wind speed gauge wants one set of mounting heights and other parameters, and the rain gauge wants another. So if you are wanting optimum accuracy, you don't want one that has everything on one pole. Then you are back to coaltrain's statement, the ones with separate components are pricey and not always end-user friendly.

This is what I learned in a vigorous 30-45 minutes of research, before I got paralysis by analysis and moved on. I would like to hear real live end users results, you can't trust online reviews any more.
    IndianaJim and jdmich like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I have the Davis Vantage Vue, but have never been willing to spend the extra $200 to hook it to my computer. It gives me today's info, this month's info and the year's info. But I cannot see what happened yesterday or any other day except today. It rolls over at midnight. It works great and is dependable. I suspect if I was willing to spend the extra $200 to hook it to my computer, I could then have the other info that is not now available to me. It will give me rain amounts of as little as .01 of an inch.

Dave
    JD4044M likes this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    I'm running a 1980 Heathkit ID-4001

Also check out https://www.peetbros.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2

These have a configurable display unit driven off the small LCD unit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WX Station 003.jpg  
    JD4044M likes this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Randog For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (08-07-2019)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Until recently, I was using the guy down the road at the same elevation as me who has a high end Davis with every sensor available all properly installed like a pro. Kept the direct link to his weather underground PWS bookmarked on all devices. And also ingested it's data into my home automation system with an API key. I did the same at my old house, but used the API to pull from the airport weather station to ensure accuracy. But wunderground recently dumped their API program and torpedoed the PWS website, so I can't do that anymore.

The thing I hate about what seems like all the personal weather stations is the wind. It is never accurate, even the fancy high end ones seem wrong all the time. I can standing outside in a 40mph wind, and every PWS is reporting 10-15 mph variable. I think a lot of them are taking a 16 second average, and whatever mechanism and algorithm is being applied just sucks. I want my own now. But I also don't want to spend money on something that will give me the same crappy data I'm already obtaining for free.
    JD4044M likes this.
    1026r | 60D | CID Pallet Forks | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch (extended hook) | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,016 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    "Alexa, how high was that gust of wind just now?"

I am following this thread be cause I too would like a personal weather station. I have found what coaltrain posted to be true about pricing, along with there seem to be two types when it comes to wind and rain collection. Well, there are probably more 'types' when it comes to methodology. What I meant was the the weather stations that are all built into one assembly and the ones that are individual components. From what I've researched, the wind speed gauge wants one set of mounting heights and other parameters, and the rain gauge wants another. So if you are wanting optimum accuracy, you don't want one that has everything on one pole. Then you are back to coaltrain's statement, the ones with separate components are pricey and not always end-user friendly.

This is what I learned in a vigorous 30-45 minutes of research, before I got paralysis by analysis and moved on. I would like to hear real live end users results, you can't trust online reviews any more.
    Your 30 minutes of research is pretty much right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    Until recently, I was using the guy down the road at the same elevation as me who has a high end Davis with every sensor available all properly installed like a pro. Kept the direct link to his weather underground PWS bookmarked on all devices. And also ingested it's data into my home automation system with an API key. I did the same at my old house, but used the API to pull from the airport weather station to ensure accuracy. But wunderground recently dumped their API program and torpedoed the PWS website, so I can't do that anymore.

The thing I hate about what seems like all the personal weather stations is the wind. It is never accurate, even the fancy high end ones seem wrong all the time. I can standing outside in a 40mph wind, and every PWS is reporting 10-15 mph variable. I think a lot of them are taking a 16 second average, and whatever mechanism and algorithm is being applied just sucks. I want my own now. But I also don't want to spend money on something that will give me the same crappy data I'm already obtaining for free.
    My Davis wind measurement was pretty accurate. But this new Ambient low end station does the averaging.

Wind is my least important factor. I live deep in a hollow surrounded by tall mountains. Even with a NOAA official wind instrument it wouldn’t matter. The wind direction and intensity is vastly modified by the mountains.

What is important to me is temperature, humidity, and rainfall. I am testing this new Ambient system alongside my old Davis system to see how they compare.
    JD4044M likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Oh my. Haven’t seen that Heathkit in a while. I bought one for my Dad and he gave up. Gave to an engineer friend and he gave up. Ended up building it myself. Game changer. Gave me the confidence to fix just about anything. The unit fried along time ago but I still use the sensor as a weather vain.
    glc, Randog and JD4044M like this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Unfortunately wind is one of the most important factors to me. I'm at the top of a 1200ft "mountain", with little to no obstruction to the prevailing wind. Whatever wind is down in the city is usually way less and variable. Where I'll be in a steady unrelenting blast. When storms push through from the west, it's like getting hit by a freight train sometimes.
    jdmich and JD4044M like this.
    1026r | 60D | CID Pallet Forks | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch (extended hook) | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast