How to handle stupid neighbors..
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: How to handle stupid neighbors..

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

How to handle stupid neighbors..

I came home from work today to find one chicken had been attacked by what looks to be a dog. I assume it was a dog given the bite marks and proximity to the house. Tonight I just locked up the coop and saw one chicken didn't turn in for the night, which has never happened, so I assume it is dead. It seems like the injured chicken will probably recover but that is yet to be seen.. currently she won't leave the egg hutch.

All this said, how would you all handle the situation. About this time last year I had animal control pay a neighbor a visit after their dog bit mine. Well.. I didn't so much have them pay them a visit as I asked what the law was in regards to shooting their dog. The animal control folks decided they'd warn the neighbor to keep their dog on their property; hoping to avoid the dog needing to be shot. Since then we've had 2 more families move out this way so its hard to say who's dog it was, though I suspect it was the same family.

I have Monday off work so I may just sit upstairs with the window open and a rifle loaded.. what would you all do? It's probably worth noting that the animal control visit had no lasting impact in regards to my neighbors letting their dogs run wild.
    Last edited by jklaus; 04-10-2015 at 11:28 PM.
    1025R, 60D, H120, 260BH, CountyLine 60" Tiller, 403 Rotary Cutter, Leinbach L7200JR Post Hole Digger, Cushman Turf-Truckster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 07:43 AM
    Thanks
    Happened to us once. I found a dog in the coop with about four dead birds. The dog had a tag so I found and contacted the owners. They came clean and paid for the birds plus some. Never saw the dog again. Unfortunately not all neighbours are as responsible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Trail camera with it set to take video aimed at the area where the attacks were. Get the owner on trespass (the dog), and maybe an attack, or if you're present some aggressive behavior before the red mist.

A wireless baby monitor webcam recorder could work too.

If you have an idea where pooch is coming from you could set a snare too. "Thought it was a yote."

Good luck!
    johnH123 likes this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    First off, don't expect animal control to give you legal advice on shooting domesticated animals. Either look up the law for yourself or contact a lawyer. "Animal control said...." is not a defense if you are sued.

We have had issues with domesticated dogs killing our chickens. Our whole perimeter is fenced with cattle fence but the dogs love to dig under. People around here sucked at keeping their dogs confined. I would catch the dog or follow the dog after running it off and then explain to neighbors to keep the dog up. Second time I would call animal control and third time I'd kill the dog.

It wasn't the dogs fault and it always made me sick doing it but we had to protect our chickens. In georgia it is perfectly legal to kill animals in defense of livestock as long as you put the animal down as fast as possible. Do not try to just wound an animal to scare it off, that can be considered animal cruelty.

Be prepared to be the "dog killer" should you go this route. People have a tendency to see what you are contemplating as wrong no matter the justification. I have been screamed at, cussed at, sued and had crying children brought to me as an example of the harm done. Be prepared.

And not a single owner ever cared that our chickens provided 4 dozen eggs weekly to the children's shelter, it was still just a chicken which isn't worth killing a dog over.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    NC code

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/n...dog-laws#s67_1

§ 67-14. Mad dogs, dogs killing sheep, etc., may be killed

Any person may kill any mad dog, and also any dog if he is killing sheep, cattle, hogs, goats, or poultry.
    rtgt, Levi and Jim Timber like this.
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    I too would go with the high tech approach at first and gather the evidence of what and who's dog is attacking the chickens. Then I would skip the dog warden and go directly to law enforcement. Let the law work for you and not against you after you pull the trigger.

Remember the first to call the police has a better leg to stand on in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    I too would go with the high tech approach at first and gather the evidence of what and who's dog is attacking the chickens. Then I would skip the dog warden and go directly to law enforcement. Let the law work for you and not against you after you pull the trigger.

Remember the first to call the police has a better leg to stand on in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If NC is anything like GA, the LEA you call will refer you to animal control.
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 05:17 AM
    Thanks
    Game Camera will hold up better as evidence rather than a hunch in the eyes of those who judge your actions.
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Probably shouldn't be killing an animal not caught in the act, even with pictures as evidence.

Proof should be turned over to the authorities and let them handle it.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    180 degree thermostat
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Had a neighbor once that had chickens, lots of them. All running loose. They came into our property and took out 123 tomatoes. I called the local sheriff's office. They said they can't do anything. I asked them what the law was as far as me shooting them if I catch them on our property, destroying our property. They told I can shoot them but not to do so and I should talk to the neighbor. So I asked again just to clarify, can I shoot them? They said "yes". I went to the neighbor and told them what happened. He looked at me and at the 123 tomatoes that were ruined and told me "shoot the damn chickens if they come on your property again". And he also told me to shoot their dog the next time it comes on our property harassing our dogs or attacking me. Which is something else I told him about when I was talking to him. I know it's just tomatoes, but my wife cans them and it is our food till the next year. We barely had enough to make sandwiches that year. Chickens don't like green tomatoes, just the red ones. They went through and pecked the tomatoes and if it was green they went to the next one till they found a red one. The chickens were put up and didn't come on our property again but the damage was done. I was also told by the "law" that I could sue them but that is something I didn't want to do and didn't do.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast