Why I love Small towns and small businesses.
Like Tree45Likes
  • 24 Post By J3 Driver
  • 3 Post By Kbar
  • 4 Post By DRobinson
  • 3 Post By Dr Kubar
  • 4 Post By 1st1026r
  • 2 Post By OxPath
  • 2 Post By jdmich
  • 1 Post By Littlegreenmachine
  • 2 Post By Zebrafive

Thread: Why I love Small towns and small businesses.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Why I love Small towns and small businesses.

I was going to put this in my driveway thread as itís kinda related but not really. Mods if you want to move it feel free.

I grew up in a fairly small town and then when I got married moved to a smaller one. We have one traffic light.

Part of what I love about our little town are the smaller family owned businesses. The company that is doing our driveway is the type of business every business should drive to be.

First off they do the job right and it shows in their work. While they know that they wonít get people calling for them to come fix things they donít mind because they are to busy to have to do repairs and such. They believe that if you donít have the time to do it right the first time how will you have time to do it the second.

But thatís not the best part.

Years ago when we lived at our old house we had them seal our blacktopped driveway. The owners son was about 7 at the time and insisted on helping. This little man worked his behind off and it showed. When we paid the bill when they finished we made sure to give the son something as well because of how hard he worked.

Flash forward 11-12 years and they are at my in-laws putting a top coat of stones on my in-laws blacktopped driveway.

My son ran out to help them sweep and blow all the dirt off the driveway.

While we were standing around talking last night the owner walked over to my son and paid him for helping.

We told him that he didnít have to and we were bringing up our son that itís nice to help and not expect anything.

He told us that years ago a really nice couple (aka us) did the same thing for his son. And that he wanted to return the favor and do the same for our son. He told us that the night we paid his son meant the world to him and his son.

This is why I love living were we do. This is more of the norm and not the unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, ChrisR and 21 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to J3 Driver For This Useful Post:

DRobinson†(Today), eyeboltman†(Today), Gizmo2†(Today), Herminator†(Yesterday), jdmich†(Today), JDSwan87†(Today), Kbar†(Yesterday), Littlegreenmachine†(Today), OxPath†(Today), rtgt†(Today), Zebrafive†(Today)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thatís an awesome story and spot on.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Great story, J3. Nice gesture by you and the contractor. I don't think people forget nice things that others do, especially in small towns.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, OxPath and 1 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing.
    rtgt, OxPath and Herminator like this.
    2016 X739, 2018 1025R, 60HC mmm Auto Conn, FEL, BH, Frontier Forks, Woods finish mower, CF Box Blade, Taylor Way TP 923 Rotary Tiller, County Line Landscape Rake, County Line Auger, Ratchet Rake, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks and Differential Pedal, and a few home-made contraptions to attach.
    Refugee from the Kingdom of Orange Tractors

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J3 Driver View Post
    I was going to put this in my driveway thread as itís kinda related but not really. Mods if you want to move it feel free.

I grew up in a fairly small town and then when I got married moved to a smaller one. We have one traffic light.

Part of what I love about our little town are the smaller family owned businesses. The company that is doing our driveway is the type of business every business should drive to be.

First off they do the job right and it shows in their work. While they know that they wonít get people calling for them to come fix things they donít mind because they are to busy to have to do repairs and such. They believe that if you donít have the time to do it right the first time how will you have time to do it the second.

But thatís not the best part.

Years ago when we lived at our old house we had them seal our blacktopped driveway. The owners son was about 7 at the time and insisted on helping. This little man worked his behind off and it showed. When we paid the bill when they finished we made sure to give the son something as well because of how hard he worked.

Flash forward 11-12 years and they are at my in-laws putting a top coat of stones on my in-laws blacktopped driveway.

My son ran out to help them sweep and blow all the dirt off the driveway.

While we were standing around talking last night the owner walked over to my son and paid him for helping.

We told him that he didnít have to and we were bringing up our son that itís nice to help and not expect anything.

He told us that years ago a really nice couple (aka us) did the same thing for his son. And that he wanted to return the favor and do the same for our son. He told us that the night we paid his son meant the world to him and his son.

This is why I love living were we do. This is more of the norm and not the unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That story is a great way to start the day
    have a good day
    rtgt, OxPath, jdmich and 1 others like this.
    1965 110 needs restoration my 1st tractor I got it back
    2002 455 blower 54 mower 3 point hitch with home made forks and OTC cab
    1986 950 fel back hoe
    2011 1026r fel mmm hm 3 point weight hm edge tamers 2 stage blower r4 tires
    OTC cab with glass windshield and wiper, electric heater, JD weight box ,remote electric chute controller

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Thanks
    That's a great story! Proven once again: What goes around, comes around.
    rtgt and Herminator like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Thanks
    Great story.
    rtgt and Herminator like this.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thatís awesome
    Herminator likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    When I was a youngster, my Dad was having fill dirt brought in for a project. The whole family was just getting in the car to go to the fair, when a dump truck pulled in our driveway.

My dad talked to the dump truck driver a few minutes, then driver walked to the car and gave of us kids a DOLLAR to spend at the fair!
    Herminator and Kbar like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    AMEN AMEN! I just couldn't agree more with everything you've said. We've kept our boats on Lake Michigan for years and believe you NEVER EVER leave someone stranded on the water - people die out there. Any way, when ever there's an emergency call on the radio my wife and I would respond. So many people would want to pay us for our help. My standard answer was and still is, "you can pay me back for doing the same thing for someone else because one day it could be me". Thanks for your support in small towns.

PS we have 1900 people and don't have a stop n go light yet.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements