Who's winning the Pickup Tailgate wars? - Page 11
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree506Likes

Thread: Who's winning the Pickup Tailgate wars?

1. Top | #101

Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    Does carbon fiber have to be hand-laid?
    I can't say for sure if it does or not.
    jdforever likes this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #102
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    I've got little pockets of rust in different parts of the truck. I bought it two years ago and I knew there was some underbody rust then. About a week after I bought it, a little paint bubble appeared on the top of the wheel well on the bed on the drivers side. Still no rust-through, but... it's just a matter of time.

My step-son is an engineer with Honda. I asked him about a year ago why the car companies weren't doing anything with carbon fiber. His response was cost. I'd love to see a carbon fiber body along with the bed. Not to mention a carbon fiber frame!

I have to wonder what the cost impact would be once you had the economies of scale on the manufacturing process ramped up. I would have to think that you could get costs to be in line that it wouldn't be too much more to go that route than going with steel and aluminum. Would also help tremendously on weight as well.
    But then you wouldn't have the need to replace your vehicle with a new one in 10-12 years....

And as far as the winter tire debate - I could go on and on about that. Sure - if you live where they have good snow removal and use lots of salt - and have all level roads - you probably don't need winter tires. But with the roads where I live and their condition the winter tires are like night and day. I refuse to run without them now that I know their performance on slippery roads. It's not so much getting around or going - it's turning and stopping on steep downgrades.
    rtgt, mark02tj and jdforever like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #103
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    My biggest problem with these fancy tailgates is what do they weigh and how many wires do I have to deal with when I need to take it off? I'd hate to need to use my Ken's Hooks and tractor to get the tailgate off whenever I want to take a trip.

Attachment 704476
    Your not the only one that needs to remove the tailgate. It needs to come off for slide in campers, salt spreaders , sprayers . I have taken mine off to make it easier to put a skid of block in the bed. I could do without the stupid spring my truck has to make the gate easier to close. I never had issues closing the tailgate on my old trucks.
    rtgt, jdforever and DanW like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #104
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Learned something else I dislike about new trucks tailgates today. Got to drive my dads brand new 2019 f150 today. Got sent to Menards to get a few things for a rental property I was helping dad work on. When I got out with the truck running I found the tailgate was locked and a never locked the truck. Apparently when the truck is put in drive the tailgate locks. Maybe you can change the settings , maybe you get used to having to hit the unlock when you exit the truck. But for someone that seldom locks the doors having the tailgate automatically lock is really annoying. I have never locked the tailgate on my 2016. The trucks I had before didnít even have a lock on the tailgate.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #105
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Learned something else I dislike about new trucks tailgates today. Got to drive my dads brand new 2019 f150 today. Got sent to Menards to get a few things for a rental property I was helping dad work on. When I got out with the truck running I found the tailgate was locked and a never locked the truck. Apparently when the truck is put in drive the tailgate locks. Maybe you can change the settings , maybe you get used to having to hit the unlock when you exit the truck. But for someone that seldom locks the doors having the tailgate automatically lock is really annoying. I have never locked the tailgate on my 2016. The trucks I had before didnít even have a lock on the tailgate.
    Ford Autolock can be disabled.
    jdforever and DanW like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

8. Top | #106
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    Ford Autolock can be disabled.
    If it was my truck it would have been done already along with engine stop. But itís my dads, the truck hasnít had the first oil change yet. Itís a xlt sport with the 3.5 and max tow . Heís 71 and has no clue on how to use the nav or the trailer back up. Say itís far easier just to look in mirror and back up than mess with trailer back up system.
    mark02tj and DanW like this.
    Eric

9. Top | #107
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks

My F250 tailgate does not auto lock, but it is always locked manually. I wish it did auto lock. Tailgate thefts are a big business.

Dave
    etcallhome, DRobinson and spferdil like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #108
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    My F250 tailgate does not auto lock, but it is always locked manually. I wish it did auto lock. Tailgate thefts are a big business.

Dave
    The only place I have ever heard of tailgate thefts is on the net. The auto locking tailgate is the dumbest thing ever. When I park in sketchy places I back in . If you can open the gate it canít be removed and it makes getting stuff out of the bed difficult.
    etcallhome, johnH123 and DanW like this.
    Eric

11. Top | #109
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post

Dave
    I was really disappointed to find that my 2014 Silverado did not have a power lock on the tailgate, instead had a key lock. I had expected it would be the same as my 2009 Avalanche which had the power lock and locked the tailgate also when the doors locked, which is what I prefer.
    glc and etcallhome like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

12. Top | #110
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    The only place I have ever heard of tailgate thefts is on the net. The auto locking tailgate is the dumbest thing ever. When I park in sketchy places I back in . If you can open the gate it canít be removed and it makes getting stuff out of the bed difficult.

You are lucky. You live in a state with the second lowest of 5 levels for tailgate theft. My state is ranked 3rd of 5 levels, but still fairly low in number. However, some states are hit pretty hard, such as FL and the southwest. Some of those states, such as TX have a very high ratio of pickups to cars. https://thenewswheel.com/study-revea...ailgate-theft/

Dave

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	tailgate thefts.jpg†
Views:	9†
Size:	54.3 KB†
ID:	704698
    DRobinson and spferdil like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast