Who's winning the Pickup Tailgate wars?
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree506Likes

Thread: Who's winning the Pickup Tailgate wars?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks

Who's winning the Pickup Tailgate wars?

Unless you've been living under a rock you've probably seen some of the ads for the new tailgate designs on some of the new pickups. I'm curious as to which one people like the best?

GMC started it with their Swiss Army Knife version of a tailgate that does several tricks.

GMC

Then Chevy comes along with the first Powered tailgate (I've been wanting this for a while).

Chevy

Now Ram has come along with their 60-40 split tailgate that opens like doors.

Ram

I really think I like the Ram version best. This would really be nice for loading things into the bed with my tractor and forks.
    mjncad, Kennyd, etcallhome and 4 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

mjncad†(09-10-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    Unless you've been living under a rock you've probably seen some of the ads for the new tailgate designs on some of the new pickups. I'm curious as to which one people like the best?

GMC started it with their Swiss Army Knife version of a tailgate that does several tricks.

GMC

Then Chevy comes along with the first Powered tailgate (I've been wanting this for a while).

Chevy

Now Ram has come along with their 60-40 split tailgate that opens like doors.

Ram

I really think I like the Ram version best. This would really be nice for loading things into the bed with my tractor and forks.
    I was thrilled that my 2015 GMC 2500HD came with a hydraulically-lowered tailgate. Now I'm lusting after the ones that I see on the new GMC's on television. I can't embrace the RAM...not a Dodge guy anymore.
    etcallhome, PJR832 and Kbar like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Those fancy tailgates might be fine for those that donít use and abuse a their trucks. But, tailgates tend to get beat up on farm and construction trucks. How are these going to hold up long term, and whatís it going to cost to get a replacement ? I donít even like having the camera as part of the tailgate. The tailgate on my 2016 F250 is already bent a bit from loading my atv.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 7 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Those fancy tailgates might be fine for those that donít use and abuse a their trucks. But, tailgates tend to get beat up on farm and construction trucks. How are these going to hold up long term, and whatís it going to cost to get a replacement ? I donít even like having the camera as part of the tailgate. The tailgate on my 2016 F250 is already bent a bit from loading my atv.
    The replacement parts cost + the cost to have it repainted + installation = price of a small used car.
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Ill take the old style over the new, because when it breaks, and it will, just like all of them do at some point or another when they are used, its going to cost a LOT to fix, or be useless.

Then again, Im sure Im not the only one who remembers when trucks were trucks. By that I mean that the interior consisted of mostly surfaces painted the same color as the body, and maybe some very light upholstery. They were purpose built, and that purpose was work. Now, even a work truck is anything but. And the cost. Good grief! Ive already got a house payment, thanks.
    Less is more.

So yeah, no matter the manufacturer, I prefer simple over complicated.
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 4 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

rtgt†(09-07-2019)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Thanks
    In two years, I think I have lowered my tailgate three times,, that was to load a few 6-packs of Diet Coke,,

Haul something?? that is what the trailer is for,,,

I did the same thing with my 1999,, the bed and tailgate look almost pristine,,, at 20 years old,,
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 1 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks
    My neighbor was showing me his new truck with the fancy tailgate, camera, etc. and how he can operate things with his smart phone. They also just had a walk in tub installed.
    I don't think the tub door opens with the phone, but I could be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 5 others like this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    No question Hondaís dual action, side swing tailgate is more versatile and practical (useful) than any of the Big 3ís efforts...

I love mine! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waHSjNHpCgw
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Those fancy tailgates might be fine for those that don’t use and abuse a their trucks. But, tailgates tend to get beat up on farm and construction trucks. How are these going to hold up long term, and what’s it going to cost to get a replacement ? I don’t even like having the camera as part of the tailgate. The tailgate on my 2016 F250 is already bent a bit from loading my atv.
    I'm confident that those tailgate options were not developed with the farm and construction market in mind. I suspect that that represents a relatively small percentage of pickup truck sales these days.
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 3 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    I think I could find uses for both the RAM and GMC if I had it. I do really like the hydraulically lowered tailgate my 14 GMC has. Thatís something Iíll have to look into on my next truck because Iím looking hard at Ford and RAM. I saw a 19 RAM 2500 Laramie at my local dealer that really caught my eye. I donít want to buy a new truck right this minute, but this one is pretty special. Not often do I see one on lot that Iíd buy, I was really thinking special ordering the next truck so I get exactly what I want. I did that with my car and will probably keep it forever because itís exactly what I always wanted.
    glc and etcallhome like this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42Ē forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20Ē Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast