Pay twenty five cents or $6.67 at the Deere dealer.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Pay twenty five cents or $6.67 at the Deere dealer.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks

Pay twenty five cents or $6.67 at the Deere dealer.

Not sure where I should post this, so I hope I'm in the right place. I was in my Tractor Supply store yesterday & while there I wanted to pick up one of those Cat.1 hitch pins. The kind that have a ring at top that folds over to keep the pin in place. I was expecting to pay about $4-5 bucks, but it would save me the drive to my Deere dealer. Anyway, I found the Cat 1 hinge pins & the shelf tag said they were Twenty Five cents each. Thinking that the price tag was wrong, I asked the man in the red vest & he confirmed that the .25 cents was the correct price. Needless to say I bought four of them & the bill came to $1.07 with the sales tax.

When I got home, I went to JD parts & looked up the very same hitch pin. The JD price was $6.67 each at my local dealer. If I had bought the pins at Deere, four of them would have cost me a whopping $26.68 for the four, compared to One dollar for the four at TSC. I also bought while at TSC a new pin to attach the top link to the implement. The price at TSC was $3.98 each. Checked the price at Deere parts,
    PN# CH 11409 and the price was over $19. dollars.

On average, a new car dealer clears about 5-8 % gross profit on a new vehicle in the average sale. So if I've got the arithmetic right here, the mark up Deere places on a 25 cent item is more than 2,000 %. And on a $3.98 item the profit is around 500%. Now as everyone celebrates the annual Deere sales deals in April, all I can say is: Smile, bend over, here it comes again. So if you think your getting a bargain shelling out north of 15K for the brand new machine, you might want to consider one of those orange, blue or red & grey tractors. And now I see this other brand advertising called Mahindra or something like that. Is quality really reflected in the price? Is that 15K tractor so overpriced that quality is made meaningless & we are hypnotized into thinking that price reflects quality?

So what does Deere actually make on a tractor sale? 40-50-60 % these days. And with all the plastic fenders, made in china parts, & investment into the global market, the deflation of the dollar on the world market, etc., etc., is being covered by us who make every excuse we can to tell ourselves that we bleed green no matter what. Well at least the bleeding green part is exactly right.

I am all for a free market system & the capitalist system of business we have here. I think it is what has made us (in the past) a world leader. But where does this price gouging stop. If the price of a gallon of gas goes up two cents, the politicians demand congressional hearings. But then we sit back & just accept the prices we pay for other items. We can't even make the steel here to make the item we want to buy. The Govt. has forced us to shut down every industry, every coal mine, every steel mill. I'm not angered by the fact that JD needs to make a profit. I understand profit & cash flow. I ran my own business. What I can't stand is outright in your face take it or leave it attitude that all these companies now have. But on the other hand I understand it because of how we are crushing the corporations. And who are the corporations? Us, the people.

Speaking for myself here-I'm a fan of JD. However there are other companies out there that offer quality products as well. If I had to replace a tractor tomorrow or anything else made by JD, I probably would not buy JD as the replacement. When you consider initial cost & the ongoing cost of ownership, it may not be the good investment you think it is. Just my own observations on the subject.

mjncad and BigJim55 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-24-2015 @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks
    Don't know for sure, but maybe the pins you got from Tractor supply is a different alloy of metal? Just guessing? That should be the only reason for that much of a price increase.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Even though you asked the man in the red vest, I suspect at some point in the future doing the same will have different results. Great you bought the four now.

Not to say Deere isn't over priced on many things. I heard years ago the parts business is a much better business than the new vehicle/tractor business.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    My local dealer goes to TSC to buy their bolts and hitch pins. I've seen them there stocking up.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    My local dealer goes to TSC to buy their bolts and hitch pins. I've seen them there stocking up.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin...9-2fca25bc3f83

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-18-2017 @ 09:02 AM
    Thanks
    I need a snap ring for my left rockshaft lift arm. Deere price $3.25 + tax for 1 snap ring. Fastenal - 3 snap rings for $2.08 tax included. Full disclosure - I haven't gotten home to install the Fastenal SR yet to be sure it's an exact fit. I wouldn't be surprised if Deere gets their SR's from Fastenal though.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R FILB - And lots of other goodies. Support our GTT American small business vendors! Great products at fair prices.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    It's probably 6.67 for a bag of 25. Nobody sells them for 6.00 each.
    How much would a hitch pin cost, 150$?
    Somebody is trying to stir things up.
    Makes a good story though.
    Last edited by arlen; 04-16-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

10. Top | #8
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Arlen, I usually am 100% behind everything you say, but I will agree that I have see similar gouging type prices at my green store. Don't have any specific examples off hand, but it can be absurd.

-J.
    arlen and BigJim55 like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Arlen, I usually am 100% behind everything you say, but I will agree that I have see similar gouging type prices at my green store. Don't have any specific examples off hand, but it can be absurd.

-J.
    Price gouging would be charging 75 cents each for them. It would be the same as charging 50 dollars for a can of soda.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I'd guess that what you are talking about is Tractor Supply's 7/16" lynch pin - that's the only one they advertise for $.25.

Green Parts Store sells the JD equal for $2.28 each.

No idea what the local dealers get for them but... for any of that sort of general hardware, I never buy that stuff through a dealer. No different than car parts.
    arlen, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast