• 7 Post By Old Cajun
  • 6 Post By pappa
  • 6 Post By PikeCoGreenTractorMan
  • 7 Post By etcallhome
  • 6 Post By Treefarmer
  • 5 Post By martincom
  • 6 Post By jdforever
  • 5 Post By flyweight

Thread: What does it take to find a lost item?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Thanks

What does it take to find a lost item?

Buying a replacement for it.

Two stories:

Quite a few years ago, my wife could not find her diamond engagement ring; she remembered taking it off in the bathroom and putting it in a small dish next to the sink on the vanity. We searched all over, even took the trap off the sink, but couldn't find it. It was insured, so we call USAA and file a claim. They sent us a new ring, we were happy. The very next day after getting the new ring, we found the original, on our then 9-year old younger daughter's finger. She had seen the ring and thought it was pretty, no idea of its value, and decided to wear it (she liked to "dress up") She'd even worn it to school a couple of times. We called USAA, they said no problem, we sent the new ring back. It was amazing how close the two rings were, they only way to tell them apart was how clean the new ring was.

Last week, I couldn't find my folding knife, and I'd used it only a couple of hours before missing it. It is a SOG Trident, assisted opening, has a pocket clip and a slot in the grip for cutting paracord. After three days of not having it (I have other knives, but this is my go-to), I order another SOG folding knife on Amazon. It was delivered this morning. Guess what I found last night in my workshop, in a place I'd never thought to look? Now I have two nice folding knives. Original is on top, new one on the bottom:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00905.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	709134
    DRobinson, rtgt, rydplrs and 8 others like this.
    My herd:
    2009 2520 FEL, 62D2 deck and various implements
    2002 GT235 46C deck
    1986 214 46" deck
    1986 212 38" deck
    1984 318 50" deck
    2008 X748SE gone but not forgotten

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 AM
    Thanks
    I usually say a prayer to Saint Anthony when I need to find lost items. Obviously OC and FW are not catholic or there would be an unlost anchor and knife!
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    I usually say a prayer to Saint Anthony when I need to find lost items. Obviously OC and FW are not catholic or there would be an unlost anchor and knife!
    I saw that!!!
    DRobinson, pappa, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Cajun View Post
    I saw that!!!
    I will do an intervention for you and say a prayer to tony on your behalf! How much was the knife worth? He wants to know?
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    kH - I used to hunt rocks, fossils, or artifacts in my youth and learned to sweep my eyes back and forth just to my front while outside. On the property that we now own, decades before our ownership, I had a favorite logging chain that I attached to my 4-wheeler with a clevis and threaded pin. Most of the time I would only hand-tighten the pin, and it occasionally backed out with vibration. Early one autumn here, I lost the pin; nearly a year later, using the eye sweep technique, I spied it in the middle of an old trail.

Clean eyeglass lenses help. On the day I recovered the pin, a lucky glint of sunshine aided as well,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by KHodges View Post
    Buying a replacement for it.

Two stories:

Quite a few years ago, my wife could not find her diamond engagement ring; she remembered taking it off in the bathroom and putting it in a small dish next to the sink on the vanity. We searched all over, even took the trap off the sink, but couldn't find it. It was insured, so we call USAA and file a claim. They sent us a new ring, we were happy. The very next day after getting the new ring, we found the original, on our then 9-year old younger daughter's finger. She had seen the ring and thought it was pretty, no idea of its value, and decided to wear it (she liked to "dress up") She'd even worn it to school a couple of times. We called USAA, they said no problem, we sent the new ring back. It was amazing how close the two rings were, they only way to tell them apart was how clean the new ring was.

Last week, I couldn't find my folding knife, and I'd used it only a couple of hours before missing it. It is a SOG Trident, assisted opening, has a pocket clip and a slot in the grip for cutting paracord. After three days of not having it (I have other knives, but this is my go-to), I order another SOG folding knife on Amazon. It was delivered this morning. Guess what I found last night in my workshop, in a place I'd never thought to look? Now I have two nice folding knives. Original is on top, new one on the bottom:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00905.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	709134
    etcallhome, rtgt, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,640 Posts
    For me buying a replacement , and I'll find the lost item.
    DRobinson, rtgt, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks

My dog knows how

Our Lab loves a Kong toy. In fact, she will carry one pretty much anytime she is outside unless we make her leave it inside.

Several years ago, she left one at the farm. Usually I can make her find where she dropped it but that time she just couldn't or wouldn't find it. Today I was cutting firewood and here she comes with a several year old Kong in her mouth. How the heck she found it, I don't know but she did. It's quite a bit the worse for wear, pretty weathered but recognizable.

Unfortunately she has no interest in pocketknives or chains. . .

Treefarmer
    pappa, rtgt, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Thanks
    This is about a daily occurrence when I work in the shop. I'll set a wrench down, can't remember where, spend 10 minutes looking for it, and then go get another. Usually I find the one I set down sometime in the next hour.

However, every now and then, something will get away from me. I had a 1/2" shallow socket on the end of a 6" extension, which was on the air ratchet. I was assembling a jet pump, in which I had applied anti-seize to the joints. So adhering to the physical properties of anti-seize, it was quickly all over everything---especially me. The air ratchet slipped out of my and, fell on the floor and the extension socket went flying across the floor out of sight. The extension was easy to find, but not the 1/2" socket. After searching for 15 minutes, I swallowed my pride and got another one. A few days alter I found the missing socket, hiding behind some 1 gallon jugs that were stored under the bench.

Murphy, of Murphy's Law fame, rides shot gun on my shoulder, so she doesn't miss a chance to complicate my life.
    rtgt, OxPath, jdforever and 2 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    I never loose anything because I always put it where I know I won't forget. Yeah, right, now where's my Bud Light. Nobody leaves this room till I find my beer.
    pappa, rtgt, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    I am Catholic; and know exactly where my anchor is. It's lodged between two foreign object, at the bottom of Lac des Allemands.

Now, OC's knife. That may be a different story. Of course, he does lives in south Louisiana also. Chances are, he's Catholic, or pretty darn close to it.
    Last edited by flyweight; 10-14-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    pappa, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R, 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750 Tractor
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw, ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other useless stuff.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements