Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Global warming/Climate Change

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks

Global warming/Climate Change

This subject has been referred to recently in one of the other threads, and to refrain from de-railing that thread I thought it would be worthy of it's own thread.
    Old Cajun and JD4044M like this.
    Join me in boycotting anti-American Nike

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,583 Posts
    How long before it has it get moved to the politics forum?

1 hour? 1 day? 1 week?

I personally believe the climate is changing, but disagree that us mere mortals can effect that change-we just have to learn to adapt to it. The climate has changed many times over the lifespan of this planet, and our industrial revolution is but a tiny fraction of that lifespan.
    glc, dieselshadow, ejb69 and 21 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm of the opinion that climates are cyclical and that man's activity has very little measurable effect on it.

This statement is usually followed by someone who disagrees with me pontificating about how I have no regard for the environment.
    This is not true at all. One can hold my belief and still want to reduce pollution.

I am what I would call a "low hanging fruit" kind of guy, meaning that I always default to the available efforts which yield the most results with the least investment.
    I get frustrated when people want to skip the easy "base hits" and "swing for the fence" spending huge amounts of efforts/dollars and netting little to zero results. That is simply illogical.

Those who disagree with me also frequently use "the children" & "the future" as arguments, implying that if you aren't willing to agree with them you do not care about the children & the future. I prefer dialogue to the name calling & hysteria.
    Kennyd, glc, BigJim55 and 9 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    How long before it has it get moved to the politics forum?1 hour? 1 day? 1 week?

I personally believe the climate is changing, but disagree that us mere mortals can effect that change-we just have to learn to adapt to it. The climate has changed many times over the lifespan of this planet, and our industrial revolution is but a tiny fraction of that lifespan.
    I considered posting it there, but really it should be a discussion independent of political leanings, and I assumed more people would participate here.
    (I try not to go to the political section because I occasionally lack the restraint to moderate my responses!)
    Kennyd, glc, BigJim55 and 8 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    I agree completely with Kenny. Is the climate changing? Of course it is, that is impossible to deny. It has always been changing, one way or another over the last several million years.
    What really grinds my gears regarding this topic is the NIMBYism. People cry and scream for environmentally-friendly ways of doing things. Wind farms, solar energy, etc. However, don’t you dare try to put a wind tower somewhere that they can see it. For example, the Cape Wind project that was supposed to put ~150 turbines out in Nantucket Sound. Per a wiki article, it could have offset a million tons of carbon dioxide every year, and could have produced enough electricity to offset the consumption of 113,000,000 gallons of oil-per year! People complained that the turbines, which would have been about 5 miles from shore, which would have ruined their scenic views.
    glc, pappa, BigJim55 and 8 others like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,013 Posts
    What tickles me you always hear from the gloom and doom crackpots on the MSM, but never hear from actual scientist
    who study the sun, the main driver of our climate.

The recent lack of sunspots during this cycle and probably the next cycle could mean we're headed for a Maunder type
    minimum (little ice age) and there ain't a dang thing we can do about it except try to survive like in the past.

The second biggest driver (IMHO) is the amount of volcanism going on anywhere on earth, another thing we ain't got any
    control of.

The amount of stuff humans spew into the atmosphere is nothing compared to what a couple of volcanos popping off can do.

An then you got the errant asteroid that comes bopping along every so many millions of years that could really ruin our day,
    just ask the dinosaurs.

Any who, just my 2 cents.
    glc, grnspot110, pappa and 11 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Cajun For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (11-08-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Thanks
    Agree with OC. There are some things we can control and others we can't control. The civilized and intelligent humans should mitigate what they know is contributing to the problem and prevent future blunders that will worsen the problem. I can live with cow farts !
    2320 200cx loader, 46 backhoe, 54"snowblower, original cab, Titan 42" forks, welded on hooks by neighbor.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Thanks
    The sensationalized "if you don't fix it now, the world will explode in 11 months" mentality is what burns my biscuit. There is a lot of evidence that global warming has occurred in the past 100 years, and that greenhouse gases (specifically CO2) are higher now than the past, but I also think "100 years" is a minute speck in the history of the Earth, and 100, 200, or more years from now when we've transitioned to a fully emissions-free energy production and distribution method, it will revert back to natural levels.

I like that "low hanging fruit" approach as well. In my conspiracy fueled brain, I honestly think the petroleum industry is at the center of alternative energy suppression, and the Government is getting it's pockets lined to support it. Technology like hydrogen gas turbines and fuel cells coupled with high efficiency electric motors are literally getting the shaft because there's a lot of companies and business supporting that $3/gallon pump price.
    pappa, BigJim55, trboxman and 1 others like this.
    2019 JD 3039R Cab, 320R Loader, BB2072 Box Blade, AP10F Forks, BH15 Bush Hog, 3rd SCV + lines, AV20H Grapple (on the way) JD Ballast Box, I-Match
    2018 JD X570, 48" AccelDeep Deck, Deluxe Brush Guard

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:15 AM
    Thanks
    Of Course the climate is changing, always has and will continue.

Is man responsible? No
    Does man contribute? Maybe, if so its so small its of little concern.

When discussing this there are some interesting questions that don't get answered.

What is the climate (temperature) supposed to be?
    Of course nobody can answer that as it has changed dramatically from the time of the dinosaurs to the ice age to now.
    pappa, BigJim55, coaltrain and 5 others like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (11-08-2019)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Thanks
    Since the Digital Camera was made affordable I have had one living here. I can look at the last 25 years of winter pictures and pretty much all look the same around the same time each year? I am so glad it is not the Ice Age anymore and if it warms up a couple more degrees here in the winter not sure it going from 10 degrees to 12 degrees is that big a deal. Now if it goes up 70 degrees summer is really going to suck when it comes around! I do remember a bad winter it was 1996 been nice since that one happen so is this Global Warming if so I like it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2969.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	712962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2970.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	712964 Last year in Feb I would go from zero on the gravel to over 4 ft deep drifts over night to open up? This is why I wanted to try out a snow blower. Took a long time to move all this snow while wondering about Global Warming?

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast