Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Credit Card Fraud

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 669 Posts

Credit Card Fraud

Well, I have heard many that have fallen victim to credit card fraud and now we are victims.

Last month, my wife and I took a 12 day vacation to Florida and used one credit card for most of our purchases. We carry a second CC, but don't use it just in case something happens that we can't use the first card. All went well, no problems......that is until we got home and a month later.

The CC company notified us by email, but were skeptical about the included phone number to contact being different than on the back of the card. So, being cautious, we called the number on the card and sure enough there had been a 190$ purchase made on 4/17/15 at Walmart. We told the CC company that we were there in March not in April and in St. Louis the day the card number was used in Orlando. The cards, or course, were cancelled and new ones will be issued. We are not liable for fraudulent purchases and our balance will be corrected.

Great catch by the CC company and thanks to them. I try to log in and check balances often, but had not done it for few days.

Just a note, the wife calls the CC companies in advance of our trips and they make note of it. I think this helps, too.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

gbnpp05 (04-25-2015), Gizmo2 (04-25-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post
    Well, I have heard many that have fallen victim to credit card fraud and now we are victims.

Last month, my wife and I took a 12 day vacation to Florida and used one credit card for most of our purchases. We carry a second CC, but don't use it just in case something happens that we can't use the first card. All went well, no problems......that is until we got home and a month later.

The CC company notified us by email, but were skeptical about the included phone number to contact being different than on the back of the card. So, being cautious, we called the number on the card and sure enough there had been a 190$ purchase made on 4/17/15 at Walmart. We told the CC company that we were there in March not in April and in St. Louis the day the card number was used in Orlando. The cards, or course, were cancelled and new ones will be issued. We are not liable for fraudulent purchases and our balance will be corrected.

Great catch by the CC company and thanks to them. I try to log in and check balances often, but had not done it for few days.

Just a note, the wife calls the CC companies in advance of our trips and they make note of it. I think this helps, too.
    I like that! Thanks.
    ilmo and Bill Berger like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Thanks for the "head's up" and the info!!
    grnspot110 and ilmo like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Thanks for the "head's up" and the info!!
    one thing I have never figured out, why more organizations don't ask for your zip code or something like Hess and Mobil do when using their pumps, seems like a fairly easy check, since someone using your card Illegally doesn't even have to know your name, so the odds that they would know your zip code is extremely small.

I had my card # used/stolen three times in one year, didn't cost me anything but a big pita, the funny part, I didn't think it was funny at the time, is I get a call from some person giving me a phone # and saying my card has a problem. I call the phone # and the first thing they ask for is you card #, ya right, so I call my credit union and they say my card is disabled and give me a phone # that doesn't require that I give my card #.
    ilmo likes this.
    2025r fel snowblower

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts

cc fraud

imlo the only time our credit card co. called us was when we visited our oldest son while he was stationed in vegas, in the air force, we drove out to the grand canyon and got gas at the same station on way out and back. when we got back home on the phone message to call our cc co. well they wanted to know if we was in Arizona on this date to buy gas at such and such station , I said yes to all above. just glad they was keeping an eye out for me. so yes next time we called and said when we going to different states. that happened in 2000 yr. big jim
    ilmo likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-20-2015 @ 08:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmo View Post

Wife works for a bank and this is exactly what everybody that uses plastic money should do.
    ilmo likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    We also had our AMEX CC hacked a few times over the last 5 years, but it was interesting that it was always the same CC that my wife carries. It is one of two cards that we have that contains a wireless chip. (I carry the other one, same AMEX account). These are the cards that you don't have to swipe, just place it near the reader. The last instance, we were home, but we did use that particular card for an online purchase, so we suspect that was the cause.

Whenever we travel by air, we call the CC company of the cards we expect to use, but we don't call for car trips, even if we are going 5+ hours away.

In any case, more of our cards are coming in with smart chips (not wireless), it should confirm that on a swipe purchase, it is the right card/number being used.

FYI, we use AMEX for most of our CC purchases, but we also have one MC and one VISA card each for the times that AMEX is not accepted. AMEX always called us to tell us that there was a problem. They don't give you a number to call with their messages, they have always told us to call the number on the back of the card. Everytime we confirmed that the purchases were fraudulent, they cancelled the card and a new one arrived in the mail about 3 days later, all fraudulent charges were cancelled, no problem. We've been AMEX customers for 35 years.

I hate Hackers. Just my 2 cents.
    DRobinson, Levi and ilmo like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    I hadn't had my Amex for more than a month and it got hacked. They called me within minutes and had the account canceled and a new card on the way within 5 min.

Last year I had my Discover card replaced twice, within 2 months of each other. First time was because of fraudulent charges. The next time I was at a concert and thought I had lost it outta my wallet so I called and had it canceled. Of course, once I got home, I found it in a different pair of pants. Turns out I had left it in my back pocket after filling the car with fuel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Just happened to us again. This time ticket Master called to verify $300 in tickets purchased there. Of course not us. So I get to call the CC company to deal with a $5 charge as well. I guess they ran a test charge to see what they could get away with.... this was a backup card so I am glad it is not attached to a bunch of auto pays.
    Kevin

Diesel Fuel Lube Group Buy - Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Additives

Bale Supply - Hay & Ranching Supplies

Green Tractor Talk - John Deere Online Community

JD Tech Talk - John Deere Blog

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Here in Canada all the credit cards are chipped. The card is inserted into the reader and then the user enters the pass code, same idea as a debit card. The nice thing is that, in most cases, nobody touches your card except the user, it never leaves your hands. Vendors don't touch it, they pass you the machine. This has greatly reduced the skimming of cards, but even with all that it still happens somehow.
    ilmo likes this.
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast