Adjustable base bed frame - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adjustable base bed frame

  1. Top | #11
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,552
    Thanks
    1,493
    Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    We recently bought a new mattress with an adjustable base. The base is what the OP describes. Our bed is a king size and it is one solid mattress (a Tempurpedic memory foam hybrid model).

    Otherwise, we like the adjustable base. Itís great for reading or even watching TV. We donít sleep with our heads elevated much at all, and neither of us care to sleep with our legs elevated. My bride likes the ability to elevate our heads during the night if I enter into a period of ďDarth VaderĒ breathing, as she calls it. She raises our heads a touch and I stop.
    Do the mattress sides move independent of each other or is it heads up for both?


    Darth Vader breathing and the Princess Leia costumes hanging in the closet.......we can imagine where this is going.......must be a Star Wars Costume Party, right?
    ColonyPark, BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    As a side sleeper now relegated to your back, try placing a pillow or even two under your knees when lying on your back and you will likely be more comfortable. Most side sleepers sleep with their legs bent with your knees towards your abdomen and sleeping flat on your back is unusual because its so "flat". This is what I found after being a side sleeper and stomach sleeper my entire life, until surgery changed that for me permanently.

    I was always a stomach sleeper or side sleeper, but once my lumbar spine was fused on the front side at multiple levels, that ended all stomach sleeping as there is very little forward deflection in a fused spine and when there is forward pressure, its very uncomfortable. Then I had a series of surgeries on my right shoulder and that eliminated ANY sleeping on the right shoulder as my collar bone on my right side is no longer connected at the acromium bone (outer shoulder) and lying on my right side is downright painful as it extends the collar bone.

    So, I am relegated to sleeping on my back, sleeping maybe 2 or 3 hours and then awake for 10 to 20 minutes, all night long, no wonder I am so grouchy....... This has been the case for a very long time. I did undergo a sleep study, but I do not like nor use the equipment.

    I created a system of elevation for my upper body which uses pillows, including one of those long pillows for a horse shoe shape at the headboard, with a pillow in the center of it, with two others across the top and then one on a 45 degree angle against the front of the "pile". It's not ideal, but its the best I have come up with.

    Depending upon your comfort level after the surgery, if you can sleep with your upper part of your body elevated even with pillows, its usually more comfortable than trying to lie perfectly flat. Add in increasing the elevation of your knees with pillows, you might find that position more comfortable than lying on your back. You may find that after your recovery that you will have to sleep in a different position, depending upon what is comfortable for you. If the surgery changed anything structurally, a change in sleeping position is not unusual as a result.
    Thanks SB, the pillows behind the knees is a good idea, I will have to try that.

    The problem with trying to get elevated with pillows is that they always seem to move/slide through the night. I have tried that method on every piece of furniture I have tried sleeping in. That's why having the actual mattress elevate I think would work for me.

    Just before the surgery when I was in a bed waiting to go the operating room, I was in some kind of a hospital bed/residential bed (think a small hospital bed but with the most comfortable mattress I've ever been on, lol) and it had the head elevated and the feet slightly elevated and it was awesome! (No the pain meds/anagelsics hadn't kicked in yet, it was just super comfortable, because I remember thinking, "man, I hate sleeping on my back, but in this bed I could do it, lol!"). Lots of credit probably goes to the mattress, but also the positioning was also very good.

    Lucky for me, this is temporary, and I should be back to side sleeping a couple of weeks. In the meantime I would sure like an adjustable bed, and also, for the future, sometimes after a hard day on the tractor or whatever, and my back is a bit sore, it might be nice to relax on an adjustable bed for a while.
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

  4. Top | #13
    SulleyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Location
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Posts
    7,552
    Thanks
    1,493
    Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjfyr View Post
    Thanks SB, the pillows behind the knees is a good idea, I will have to try that.

    The problem with trying to get elevated with pillows is that they always seem to move/slide through the night. I have tried that method on every piece of furniture I have tried sleeping in. That's why having the actual mattress elevate I think would work for me.

    Just before the surgery when I was in a bed waiting to go the operating room, I was in some kind of a hospital bed/residential bed (think a small hospital bed but with the most comfortable mattress I've ever been on, lol) and it had the head elevated and the feet slightly elevated and it was awesome! (No the pain meds/anagelsics hadn't kicked in yet, it was just super comfortable, because I remember thinking, "man, I hate sleeping on my back, but in this bed I could do it, lol!"). Lots of credit probably goes to the mattress, but also the positioning was also very good.

    Lucky for me, this is temporary, and I should be back to side sleeping a couple of weeks. In the meantime I would sure like an adjustable bed, and also, for the future, sometimes after a hard day on the tractor or whatever, and my back is a bit sore, it might be nice to relax on an adjustable bed for a while.
    Hope you find either a bed or mattress which works out well for you. Sleeping is much more important than most of us realize until good sleep becomes a problem. Heck there were times when I could sleep sitting up or just about anywhere, anytime, but that's not the case any more.

    When I was on the hospital bed the other day, the nurse actually asked me to "keep my hands inside the bed rails" while she was pushing me down to the procedure room. I asked her if anyone had ever grabbed the last doorway on their way through to stop the bed and she said "Not yet, but I have a feeling today might be my day."........and I didn't even think she had a sense of humor. She was kind of cute, though........

    Now that I think about it, the mattress on the bed was nice and firm also. You should see what they sell the adjustable hospital beds for, it's crazy expensive like $16k or more per bed (probably because it's "medical equipment")..........and that's the "bigger than a twin, smaller than a full size" they seem to use. We priced one for a friend who had an elderly father and he ended up renting a bed from a medical supply place for the term he needed it.

    1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

    John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

    ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products





  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #14
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,722
    Thanks
    1,137
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 2,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjfyr View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I had a surgery last week and I have to sleep on my back for the next little while. I'm a side sleeper, so sleeping on my back is not super comfortable. I've tried the bed, a sofa, and a sectional, and none work really great, especially when trying to get my upper body elevated.

    I'm also considering a recliner, but don't really like them either. I figure having the adjustability of laying flat or in various elevated positions in a bed, and not have to try 3 different pieces of furniture each night would be nice.
    I had never sat in a recliner in my life before my wife and I bought a matching pair a few years back - papa bear and mama bear size.

    I still didnít sit in mine for a couple years - was always working. The odd time that I did sit down and watch some TV I would sprawl out on the couch.

    I am also a side sleeper.

    Fast forward after getting a nasty case of RA and being home 24/7 - my recliner has turned out to be a godsend. Itís the only place I am comfortable.

    So donít discount a recliner. You need to buy one that fits you properly and is well made. Ours our now 15 years old and a part broke under mine a couple months ago. Called up the furniture store - they ordered the entire works underneath for me. I dropped it off and they changed it out in a couple hours for $165. Good for another 15 years.

    As with any furniture you get what you pay for most of the time. A smaller mom & pop type store will net you much better quality and service after the sale.

    My wife had her knee replaced last spring - the ONLY place she has been comfortable since is in her recliner.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  7. Top | #15
    Corndog Hater ColonyPark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    10,940
    Thanks
    3,724
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Do the mattress sides move independent of each other or is it heads up for both?


    Darth Vader breathing and the Princess Leia costumes hanging in the closet.......we can imagine where this is going.......must be a Star Wars Costume Party, right?
    Heads up for both. The independent moving ones were crazy expensive. Heck, this Tempurpedic was crazy expensive by most peopleís definition anyway.

    No costumes hanging in our closet, maybe weíre missing out??

    I agree with the recliner if it is maybe more of a temporary situation for the OP. We bought my MIL a new one when she was discharged from rehab after triple bypass surgery recently. We went to the Mom and Pop place in town and bought a power reclining FlexSteel. It has a power adjustable head rest too. That chair has been a godsend for her, often sleeping in it at night.
    BigJim55, coaltrain and JD4044M like this.
    Jamie

    2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

  8. Top | #16
    ttazzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Location
    sw mo
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
    first thing.....dont bother with the vibration option its a total waste

    ours is a KING ....both sides raise at both the foot and head independantly .....it was bought for a family member that had to go to nursing care before using it ...so it came to us new but not sure the brand....while we didnt need it we thought that in the future as we age we might have a need

    it has one king mattress and uses fitted sheets....it does work fine ...but it works best if both sides are in similar alignment ...i have currently used it with my feet elevated when i had a foot injury for a couple of weeks ....we used it with the head elevated when we first got it but when you raise it you develop more and more gap at the headboard and sometimes the female units old and blind small dog critter would jump in bed and struggled with the slope and the gap at the top

    over all we like it
    Last edited by ttazzman; 11-29-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    John Deere
    5105M
    2140
    4500
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

  9. Top | #17
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:23 AM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,361
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 251 Times in 194 Posts
    You Know all the beds In My House are Adjustable Beds Bought them at Walter E smith and I have never used them. Other than to see what it could Do My wife doesn't even use it. I am still Looking for the Quarter slot as Out Bed also has a Vibrates selection
    ssjfyr and JD4044M like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,XUV 835M
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  10. Top | #18

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Location
    New hampshire,"The Granite State": where we grow rocks
    Posts
    432
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 128 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjfyr View Post
    Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone here could offer some advice on adjustable beds. I am looking at a motorized base that I would put my memory foam mattress on. I would like the kind that can raise the head and/or feet section. Some even have it that the head can be slightly lower than the feet.

    Anyway, does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth it? Are there certain features to look for/don't need?

    Thanks.
    Though they are expensive, if you are looking for an adjustable bed try to find a sleep number store where they will have a number of configurations for you to try. My wife and I purchased a king size with each side independently controlled which means two twin size bolted together. We find this works for us, as my wife prefers a soft materess and I don't. The air mattress allows this.
    Roger O
    1025R SCUT
    120R LOADER
    260B BACKHOE
    54D MMM w/ AUTO CONNECT

    WISHLIST
    I WANT IT ALL

    SSG US army 6yr 3mo 10d
    Work hard, retire, work harder

  11. Top | #19
    Kbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Location
    -Western WA
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    If itís only for a recovery, get a 4Ē memory foam topper, and some king size medium pillows for under your knees and a lot of melatonin or other forms of sleep aids. We have the king with dual twin size adjustable frames but donít use it anymore. For one, my wife was tired of changing 2 beds and having that gap in the middle. Also, they didnít offer memory foam options for the setup and the blankets donít behave very well. I am a side and stomach sleeper to the point of arthritis in my upper back from waking up contorted so bad, I got a crick in my neck, or canít feel an arm so I wanted to try the adjustable to help train myself to sleep on my back. After a couple excruciating months I found my body didnít like to be bent up all night, and wound up flattening out more, and more to where I stopped using it. We gave the twin mattresses to the grandkids, and bought a nice memory foam one, and I use a pillow under my knees when reading, and can fall asleep in that position most times, but still wake up on my side some mornings. If my shoulder, or neck is bothering me, I will down a bunch of melatonin, and an Advil PM and sleep like a baby all night without moving. We still have the adjustable bases with the chords unplugged. They offer great support, and if the need arises, we can just plug them in and grab a couple mattresses.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    1025R, 120R FEL, 60D MMM, imatch, Frontier 2060L, Rimguard, Bunch of homemade stuff

    WARNING-
    I will spontaneously spout off nonsense at any given time

  12. Top | #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    If itís only for a recovery, get a 4Ē memory foam topper, and some king size medium pillows for under your knees and a lot of melatonin or other forms of sleep aids. We have the king with dual twin size adjustable frames but donít use it anymore. For one, my wife was tired of changing 2 beds and having that gap in the middle. Also, they didnít offer memory foam options for the setup and the blankets donít behave very well. I am a side and stomach sleeper to the point of arthritis in my upper back from waking up contorted so bad, I got a crick in my neck, or canít feel an arm so I wanted to try the adjustable to help train myself to sleep on my back. After a couple excruciating months I found my body didnít like to be bent up all night, and wound up flattening out more, and more to where I stopped using it. We gave the twin mattresses to the grandkids, and bought a nice memory foam one, and I use a pillow under my knees when reading, and can fall asleep in that position most times, but still wake up on my side some mornings. If my shoulder, or neck is bothering me, I will down a bunch of melatonin, and an Advil PM and sleep like a baby all night without moving. We still have the adjustable bases with the chords unplugged. They offer great support, and if the need arises, we can just plug them in and grab a couple mattresses.
    Good points. Just wondering what kind of mattresses were originally on the adjustable base (the ones you gave to your grandkids)?
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts