Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adjustable base bed frame

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks

Adjustable base bed frame

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone here could offer some advice on adjustable beds. I am looking at a motorized base that I would put my memory foam mattress on. I would like the kind that can raise the head and/or feet section. Some even have it that the head can be slightly lower than the feet.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth it? Are there certain features to look for/don't need?

Thanks.
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,171 Times in 2,323 Posts
    The best deals I have seen on beds and mattresses is Zinus. Lots of great reviews on their mattresses and regular frames - not sure about their adjustable frames.

They also sell on Amazon.

https://www.zinus.com/collections/be...nd-foundations
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,492 Posts
    We looked at those and the first thing my wife said was "You would have to used twin sized fitted sheets on the mattresses since they move independent of one another" which I hadn't thought of. With the different platforms in different positions, she is right or the sheets and bedding are going to pull from the other side and would be real uncomfortable for the other person.

When we tried them, I found that at my height 6'4"(ish), my feet hang off the end of the mattress when its head is elevated, based upon where it bends and that was something which would drive me nuts. Effectively, you have side by side twin mattresses, moving independent of one another and I would bet that not just any mattress would bend to conform to the base movement, so I would bet the mattresses are likely specific to the bases.

Make sure you try the adjustable base bed in a store before you buy because as the head is elevated, it slid me down the bed and while the raised head was nice, I ended up sitting more in the center of the mattress than towards the head where I started when raising the head up.....

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 1,002 Posts

Adjustable base bed frame

We recently bought a new mattress with an adjustable base. The base is what the OP describes. Our bed is a king size and it is one solid mattress (a Tempurpedic memory foam hybrid model). What Sulleybear describes is true. It does pull the fitted sheet. We buy the hotel something line of sheets from Samís Club with extra deep pockets on the fitted sheet, and have bought them for years. These fitted sheets seem to stay put much better. Also, yes my feet do hang off the end when our heads are elevated and I donít care for it. However, Iím only 6í-0Ē, so I can move myself ďupĒ towards the head of the bed and bring my feet back up on the bed. Thatís pretty much the bad, such as it may be.

Otherwise, we like the adjustable base. Itís great for reading or even watching TV. We donít sleep with our heads elevated much at all, and neither of us care to sleep with our legs elevated. My bride likes the ability to elevate our heads during the night if I enter into a period of ďDarth VaderĒ breathing, as she calls it. She raises our heads a touch and I stop.
    Last edited by ColonyPark; Yesterday at 09:56 AM.
    Gizmo2, MDrew, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys. I had a surgery last week and I have to sleep on my back for the next little while. I'm a side sleeper, so sleeping on my back is not super comfortable. I've tried the bed, a sofa, and a sectional, and none work really great, especially when trying to get my upper body elevated.

I'm also considering a recliner, but don't really like them either. I figure having the adjustability of laying flat or in various elevated positions in a bed, and not have to try 3 different pieces of furniture each night would be nice.
    MDrew, BigJim55, jdforever and 1 others like this.
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    We recently bought a new mattress with an adjustable base. The base is what the OP describes. Our bed is a king size and it is one solid mattress (a Tempurpedic memory foam hybrid model). What Sulleybear describes is true. It does pull the fitted sheet. We buy the hotel something line of sheets from Samís Club with extra deep pockets on the fitted sheet, and have bought them for years. These fitted sheets seem to stay put much better. Also, yes my feet do hang off the end when our heads are elevated and I donít care for it. However, Iím only 6í-0Ē, so I can move myself ďupĒ towards the head of the bed and bring my feet back up on the bed. Thatís pretty much the bad, such as it may be.

Otherwise, we like the adjustable base. Itís great for reading or even watching TV. We donít sleep with our heads elevated much at all, and neither of us care to sleep with our legs elevated. My bride likes the ability to elevate our heads during the night if I enter into a period of ďDarth VaderĒ breathing, as she calls it. She raises our heads a touch and I stop.
    I am really beginning to believe our wife's are related I don't snore But I guess I breath heavier than Darth Vader according to my wife . In the Army They said I breath so heavy that the Guys snoring wake Up. I guess I sleep On My stomach with My mouth Open. I do always wake Up In a Puddle of drool
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,XUV 835M
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The new higher end Sleep Number beds have the adjustable bases. They have quite a few stores around so you might be able to try one out. We were at a home show last winter and tried one and liked it. I know not everyone is a Sleep Number fan but we have had one of their beds (top of the line model back in the day) for abut 16 years now and we like it.

I am also 6'4" so when I get into a normal King I slide down so my feet hang off the bed and then lay down. This is why we went with a California Kind for our Sleep Number. They are not quite as wide as a regular king but are longer.

Personally I spent too many years in the military to be too fusy about where I sleep. Way too many nights where the options were to sleep on a boulder or in a puddle of mud.

From what I recall in looking at the new adjustable Sleep Numbers, the mattress was split up by your head but still connected at the feet. If I remember. Even in the old ones they used individual air chambers in the older versions. It is just that they were fully connected. I think that is one of the complaints about them is that there is foam that separates the sides like in ours and some people don't like that wall effect that it can create. More so if you like a softer bed.

We also thought that the fitted sheet would be an issue with the split at the top. Of course the sales guy wanted to sell us their sheets to solve that issue.

We didn't buy one at the time but eventually we might. My wife likes sitting up for a bit messing around on her phone. Not the best idea before trying to sleep. For me I stay up until I am ready to sleep and once I lay down I am out in a couple minutes.

I have been through many operations over the years where I had to sleep on my back or at least keep from tossing and turning. Normally I find I sleep on my side or belly. While I sucks, for the recovery period, I would just sleep on the recliner. It kept me stationary better, prevented side sleeping and even if I tried to sleep in my bed, I would have been up and down so much at night my wife wouldn't have slept. While recovering I would be on pretty powerful pain meds and only be able to sleep a couple hours at a time while they were effective until 30-45 min before I was due for my next dose. Then wait 10 min or so for them to kick in and I would be out for a couple hours.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    I am really beginning to believe our wife's are related I don't snore But I guess I breath heavier than Darth Vader according to my wife . In the Army They said I breath so heavy that the Guys snoring wake Up. I guess I sleep On My stomach with My mouth Open. I do always wake Up In a Puddle of drool
    Heh, there were a few times I would freak people out as they thought there was a wild boar in the area but it was just me.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks
    I have an adjustable and really like it. It helps me get comfortable while winding down watching tv. I'm a stomach and side sleeper, so before I roll over to my stomach or side, I hit a button on the remote and it returns to flat. Mine also vibrates, but I don't care for that option. It's too loud and really doesn't do anything for me. It's a far cry from a massage.

As far as mattresses are concerned, not all are compatible with adjustable frames, including memory foam mattresses. If your mattress isn't made for an adjustable frame, I've been told by the manufactures that it will quickly degrade were it bends, so do your research on the type of mattress you currently own or considering on purchasing. :

Fortunately but unfortunately, my wife and I have been sleeping in separate beds for a number of years. She can go to sleep at will, I can't, she's in bed early and who knows what time I'll hit the sack. I toss and turn, she doesnt. She needs her beauty rest and it works. She's a very pretty gal. The point is, that my bed is a double, so it's just one mattress and set of sheets and no conflict on who wants it what what position.

Recovering from my knee replacement, the adjustable bed proved to be invaluable for me.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjfyr View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I had a surgery last week and I have to sleep on my back for the next little while. I'm a side sleeper, so sleeping on my back is not super comfortable. I've tried the bed, a sofa, and a sectional, and none work really great, especially when trying to get my upper body elevated.

I'm also considering a recliner, but don't really like them either. I figure having the adjustability of laying flat or in various elevated positions in a bed, and not have to try 3 different pieces of furniture each night would be nice.
    As a side sleeper now relegated to your back, try placing a pillow or even two under your knees when lying on your back and you will likely be more comfortable. Most side sleepers sleep with their legs bent with your knees towards your abdomen and sleeping flat on your back is unusual because its so "flat". This is what I found after being a side sleeper and stomach sleeper my entire life, until surgery changed that for me permanently.

I was always a stomach sleeper or side sleeper, but once my lumbar spine was fused on the front side at multiple levels, that ended all stomach sleeping as there is very little forward deflection in a fused spine and when there is forward pressure, its very uncomfortable. Then I had a series of surgeries on my right shoulder and that eliminated ANY sleeping on the right shoulder as my collar bone on my right side is no longer connected at the acromium bone (outer shoulder) and lying on my right side is downright painful as it extends the collar bone.

So, I am relegated to sleeping on my back, sleeping maybe 2 or 3 hours and then awake for 10 to 20 minutes, all night long, no wonder I am so grouchy....... This has been the case for a very long time. I did undergo a sleep study, but I do not like nor use the equipment.

I created a system of elevation for my upper body which uses pillows, including one of those long pillows for a horse shoe shape at the headboard, with a pillow in the center of it, with two others across the top and then one on a 45 degree angle against the front of the "pile". It's not ideal, but its the best I have come up with.

Depending upon your comfort level after the surgery, if you can sleep with your upper part of your body elevated even with pillows, its usually more comfortable than trying to lie perfectly flat. Add in increasing the elevation of your knees with pillows, you might find that position more comfortable than lying on your back. You may find that after your recovery that you will have to sleep in a different position, depending upon what is comfortable for you. If the surgery changed anything structurally, a change in sleeping position is not unusual as a result.
    BigJim55, jdforever and ssjfyr like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast