Thread: Are you a good customer?

1. Top | #1
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts

Are you a good customer?

DRobinson and I discussed this briefly the other day at breakfast. We hear about bad dealerships and good dealerships all the time but being a good customer is tough.
    Iím not saying Iím a good customer but here is my perspectiveÖ

Every staff member at a dealership (owners included) is a customer to somebody else.
    Customers are dealers, when selling stuff.
    I never figured a dealership REALLY owes me anything after the sale/purchase. (I like to keep this in mind).
    I always figure I will need dealership in the future.
    My goal is to have a dealership/staff want to help me.
    The staff at a dealership like to get paid, just like me.
    I never intentionally try to get one over on a salesman even though sometimes my idea of fair is not necessarily the same as the salesmanís.
    There is always another dealership.
    By itself, lower pricing does not make for a better deal, never has.
    Just because a dealership gives you stuff does not make the dealership a good one (you may have already paid for it).

On a big purchase item Iím the type of customer to beat a salesman to death for $100.00 and then turn around and give the salesman a $100.00 tip.

I always figured it took a good customer for a customer to have a good dealership. It works both ways, always has.
    Being a good customer is not about buying something, IMO.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

DRobinson†(04-30-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I know it is simple but it is so true. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I have never really beat up a dealer on a purchase. I have always expected to get a fair price and if I don't think it is fair I tell them so and give them an opportunity to earn my business. Businesses are in the business to make money the same as I am. At the end of the day it has to be a win win. Win for the dealer and a win for the customer. It can't be all one way or then it leaves a bad taste in someone's mouth where the customer does not want to do business with the dealer or the dealer really doesn't want the customer. I am fortunate that I have seen both. I had a dealer with my first purchase that I will never do business with again and they don't want my business(they have verbally said so, a large ag dealer doesn't like dealing with residential customers) and then I have my current dealer that I absolutely love and will pay more for their service because of there service.
    *JOHN DEERE 2038R w/ 220R FEL-72" AUTOCONNECT MMM-270B BACKHOE-8"-16" BUCKET-KBOHC-IMATCH QUICK HITCH w/KBOHTH-BALLAST BOX-42" ARTILLIAN FORKS-FRONTIER RC2060-FRONTIER RB2072-LANDPRIDE CA1556-LANDPRIDE FSP 700-LANDPRIDE PD25-12'-24" AUGERS-EA 60" GARDEN BEDDER-EA 72" HD LAND PLANE-NORTHSTAR 55 GAL SPRAYER-TUFF TOP SCR-44-COUNTYLINE CARRYALL
    *JOHN DEERE Z930M 60" MOD-FULL SUSPENSION SEAT-ZGLIDE SUSPENSION-XTWEEL TIRES

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GREENVA For This Useful Post:

etcallhome†(04-30-2015), Gizmo2†(04-30-2015)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Generally, I am an educated customer. Some businesses / sales people like that, others do not. I try to stay away from the places that do not like educated customers. Additionally, when I find a place I feel is treating me right, I am loyal. I'll spend a little more in order to do business with people I like and who like me. I'll also refer business as best I can and as often as I can. The Deere dealer has sold 5 tractors to people specifically stating I referred them over the past 18 months. The car salesman from whom we have bought 3 new cars and one used has sold to many people referred by me.

Of course everyone of them will likely tell you I am a tough negotiator and will beat them up pretty good on price.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,447 Posts
    I want to be able to walk into the dealership and have the people happy to see me and not have them think, "Here comes that old PITA again." I have that with my dealer, which is a single store, family owned Ag and Lawn and Garden dealer.

I occasionally stop at a local multi-store Ag and Lawn and Garden dealer for a filter or other common part, just because it can be on the way home from work. They make me feel the same as the local Auto Zone store; like they are doing me a big favor by being there and that I know nothing about my equipment. I try to take my order in by part number, regardless of where I go.

Note: I use the term Lawn and Garden because that was the original name, then it went to Consumer Products and I don't know what it is today.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I've been told numerous times that I am a good customer. Folks say, "As long as no one is trying to blow smoke out your a$$, and jerk you around, you are the easiest customer that we have to deal with, and love to see you come in. Brightens the day, that you smile, even though you need a part or maintenance, because something is broken." Always makes my day to hear that, at the truck shop, grocery store, or even TSC, etc.

It is very hard to be the good customer with the local Deere dealer here. Even if you are smiling, they are not. They act like they do not want to be there, and like they wish all of the people would leave. If they were not the only game in the area, I'm sure most of us would leave.

I do believe it is important to know enough that you do not get "taken" by a dealer or maintenance crew, if you have a less than reputable group, but there is no reason to take it out on the staff of any location, just because you are having a bad day, or streak of bad luck.

I'll pay more to do business with a local place, if they smile and say, "Thank you, and come back." But I'll be doggone if I'm going to pay 10-15% more to be treated like cow manure!!!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Generally, I am an educated customer. Some businesses / sales people like that, others do not. I try to stay away from the places that do not like educated customers. Additionally, when I find a place I feel is treating me right, I am loyal. I'll spend a little more in order to do business with people I like and who like me. I'll also refer business as best I can and as often as I can.
    No sense in retyping these words, because this is exactly what I was thinking when I read Gizmo's post. I will add though, that I have no time or patience for a business/salesperson who is not educated on their products. We live in a small town setting and we like doing business with places that know us by our first names, and being able to tell that they appreciate doing business with people whose first names they know. Good thread Gizmo.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-28-2016 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks
    Pretty much agree with everything posted above. I like to treat my customers and suppliers with respect. My parts guy at the JD dealer in my area is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I tend to do things a bit different than most (my wife and friends tell me I'm unique) and often come up with "challenges" for my parts guy and others. I asked him once if I was a PITA just to make sure and he told me absolutely not. He says that I am the reason he likes his job. The interesting stuff keeps him entertained and he looks forward to talking with me.
    Lorne
    My century barn redo

1999 John Deere 455 AWS
    1997 John Deere 455 AWS
    2001 John Deere 445 AWS
    1994 John Deere 425 (Sold)
    60" mower, 60" mower, 60" mower with JD Mulch Kit, 54" Mower, MC519 and Powerflow, 47" Snow Blower, 54" blade with bucket add-on (Plucket), 54" blade, 54" blade, 51" Broom, and garden cart
    John Deere 314 Sold
    Grew up with a John Deere 140 and all the goodies

12. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techie1961 View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything posted above. I like to treat my customers and suppliers with respect. My parts guy at the JD dealer in my area is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I tend to do things a bit different than most (my wife and friends tell me I'm unique) and often come up with "challenges" for my parts guy and others. I asked him once if I was a PITA just to make sure and he told me absolutely not. He says that I am the reason he likes his job. The interesting stuff keeps him entertained and he looks forward to talking with me.
    I told my dealer back in 1988 that I WAS a PITA and to just go with it. I didn't see any sense in lying.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Agree with everything said here so far. I am educated customer , I do my research before I buy anything. I do expect sales people to know their product. I do have patients however, cause I know how things change and sometimes I don't know how you can keep up with ever changing products. . Anyway I am better than I used to be I know I've been a PITA but don't label me that cause I've done my homework.
    Case in point, I just returned from my second trip to Dicount Tire. I took my daughter's car to get new tires put on it, got back home and relized they put the wrong size on it. Check my receipt and the size I asked for was on receipt but wrong ones on car. Called on phone and they said bring it right back over and will replace right away. Driving back over was thinking about having them discount tires for my gas and time making two trips, but then thought nah mistakes happen. Shame on me for not checking/catching before I left the store., years ago I would have made a big deal out of it and demanded a discount for my extra time and gas, mellowed in my older age. I was a good customer and had a free cup of coffee and was back out of there in no time. They were waiting for me when I pulled in.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    I'm a fantastic Deere customer. I quietly let myself into the store & wait my turn-or until someone behind the counter gets off his personal non work related chat. Then I politely request the parts I need when I get the "whatta you need" customer greeting from behind the counter.

Then I wait as the items are gathered up & put through the computer. Them I'm simply told the amount & asked how I want to pay. I complete the transaction with payment selected, they shove the stuff in front of me although there is a nice pile of plastic bags they could put the stuff in & hand to me. Then I stupidly smile and say thank you & in return I get this blank stare with no words of kindness returned to me. Then I do an about face, military style & quietly open the door & go out without slamming it behind me.

I consider myself a really great customer because I've kept my cool & remained in self control. But what I really would like to have expressed is this: "You uneducated, rude, lack luster jackass who hasn't the sense to understand how to interact with a customer, but somehow is retained on the payroll to help the very people out who are paying JD prices through the nose to keep this moron & all the other morons at this place of business employed. Therefore I declare my self a GREAT customer to put up with this JD crap.

Last edited by Maddog; 04-30-2015 at 03:36 PM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast