TOTALLY Off topic, but COOL!!
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 276
Like Tree1092Likes

Thread: TOTALLY Off topic, but COOL!!

  1. Top | #1
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts

    TOTALLY Off topic, but COOL!!

    Some of you know that I have been looking for an airplane, for a LONG time. Being the stubborn, blonde, female, I wanted what I wanted, for a price that I was willing to pay. Not an easy thing to come across, believe me!! I wanted performance capabilities for travel, affordable operating costs, to just have fun locally, something I thought would hold its value, or possible appreciate, and I wanted it all at bargain basement prices.

    Well, I walked into the right place at the right time, 2 weeks ago. This airplane had been sitting for a year. The guy who built it, built it for his son. His son passed away a year ago, and it had been flown once since, and that was to ferry it back to the builder, last June. The builder has medical issues that keeps him from being able to fly it, so it has sat in his fully enclosed hangar.

    Now, we all know that machinery is better when it is run often, not sitting. So, an aircraft mechanic and I made a trek this past Friday to look this airplane over REALLY well. We pulled inspection panels, and looked at fittings and cables, etc. with a magnifying glass, and a good light source. Ran the engine up, and found a miss on the mag check. Turned out, with some running and increased RPM, the miss cleared, so we chalked that up to the bottom plugs being fouled. We removed the plugs to be sure, and looked everything over from the firewall forward. Test flew the airplane too! After a really long day, (over 9.5 hours) of tear it down, look inside, and put it back together, the plane was deemed structurally and mechanically sound. Then I made the owner an offer.

    I am THRILLED to report, he accepted my offer!!!!

    I wish that I had more photos, but I was so tired from traveling to the bird, the work, etc., that getting photos of me with the aircraft did not cross my mind that late. We had weather in the area, and had to time our test flights between bands of rain and storms that blew through. And I had a long trip home, by truck, as weather wasn't going to let us fly her out, and I really needed my truck home on Monday for work. I need to make an appointment to go back and get her, but here are a couple of pics of her nekkid, after we checked compression, and looked for leaks, etc. This was right before cowling her back up. (I did not know that she was going to become mine, at this point.)

    Did I mention I am THRILLED?? I didn't sleep for the 2 nights previous, due to anticipation, and did not sleep Friday night, due to excitement. I thought I'd sleep like a rock last night, but storms blew through. I am massively sleep deprived!!! But that's OK. Once she is home, I can get some things done with her, and fly her around the home base area. Want to make sure there is no hiccup before getting too far from my mechanic, that has been great to walk me through what he is looking for and teaching me about this particular airplane from the maintenance and repair standpoint. (He has built 13 of these planes, so far!)

    So, here is my new toy (tool?), and she is nekkid too. I guess that day, she was doing the nekkid rain dance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nekkid1 - C.JPG   nekkid2 - C.JPG  
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

    Daveb (06-08-2015), etcallhome (05-17-2015), Gizmo2 (05-17-2015), grnspot110 (05-17-2015), Jep (05-19-2015), johnH123 (05-17-2015), Levi (05-17-2015), MFreund1 (05-31-2015), mjncad (05-21-2015), OldmanX (05-19-2015), R4fan (05-17-2015), RandyM (05-17-2015), RichBaxter (05-18-2015), Vern1026R (05-17-2015)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  4. Top | #2
    Uncle Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Location
    Moulton, Alabama
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 200 Times in 124 Posts
    Good for you. We don't get the opportunity to kick the ball around but one time in this life so better kick it while you can. Proud for you and good luck.
    Wayne
    2013 JD 4520 CUT with 400X FEL
    1942 LA John Deere
    1910 John Deere Freight Wagon (restored)
    1946 John Deere Series 300 two disk plow

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wayne For This Useful Post:

    farmgirl19 (05-17-2015)

  6. Top | #3
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,723
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Very cool! Can I buy a ride? You're going to need to add some JD Green to tone down that Yellow though. Seriously though, congratulations on the new acquisition, have fun and fly safe!

    on your new
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    SGS, JD Green would not be a bad addition to the paint scheme!! If I were a typical female, and buying the color I wanted, that probably would not have been my choice. But structural and mechanical stability are what is important, when dealing with aircraft. Maybe at some point, I can save up enough to get a new paint scheme on her?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by farmgirl19; 05-17-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: lack of typing skills
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  9. Top | #5
    ilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 668 Posts
    Congrats and enjoy your new ride.
    farmgirl19 likes this.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmo For This Useful Post:

    farmgirl19 (05-17-2015)

  11. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,675
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 880 Times in 674 Posts
    Wow! That looks like a pretty neat little plane. Now your tractor is going to have to compete for seat time!

    Congrats!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

    farmgirl19 (05-17-2015)

  13. Top | #7
    2LaneCruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:32 PM
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,351
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 510 Times in 367 Posts
    Needless to say, I am thrilled for you. Would like to see some more pics though...and is that an open cockpit? Your hair will be a mess!
    Superglidesport likes this.
    Have wings, will travel.

  14. Top | #8
    tj1
    tj1 is offline
    tj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Location
    ma
    Posts
    3,888
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 305 Times in 228 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Some of you know that I have been looking for an airplane, for a LONG time. Being the stubborn, blonde, female, I wanted what I wanted, for a price that I was willing to pay. Not an easy thing to come across, believe me!! I wanted performance capabilities for travel, affordable operating costs, to just have fun locally, something I thought would hold its value, or possible appreciate, and I wanted it all at bargain basement prices.

    Well, I walked into the right place at the right time, 2 weeks ago. This airplane had been sitting for a year. The guy who built it, built it for his son. His son passed away a year ago, and it had been flown once since, and that was to ferry it back to the builder, last June. The builder has medical issues that keeps him from being able to fly it, so it has sat in his fully enclosed hangar.

    Now, we all know that machinery is better when it is run often, not sitting. So, an aircraft mechanic and I made a trek this past Friday to look this airplane over REALLY well. We pulled inspection panels, and looked at fittings and cables, etc. with a magnifying glass, and a good light source. Ran the engine up, and found a miss on the mag check. Turned out, with some running and increased RPM, the miss cleared, so we chalked that up to the bottom plugs being fouled. We removed the plugs to be sure, and looked everything over from the firewall forward. Test flew the airplane too! After a really long day, (over 9.5 hours) of tear it down, look inside, and put it back together, the plane was deemed structurally and mechanically sound. Then I made the owner an offer.

    I am THRILLED to report, he accepted my offer!!!!

    I wish that I had more photos, but I was so tired from traveling to the bird, the work, etc., that getting photos of me with the aircraft did not cross my mind that late. We had weather in the area, and had to time our test flights between bands of rain and storms that blew through. And I had a long trip home, by truck, as weather wasn't going to let us fly her out, and I really needed my truck home on Monday for work. I need to make an appointment to go back and get her, but here are a couple of pics of her nekkid, after we checked compression, and looked for leaks, etc. This was right before cowling her back up. (I did not know that she was going to become mine, at this point.)

    Did I mention I am THRILLED?? I didn't sleep for the 2 nights previous, due to anticipation, and did not sleep Friday night, due to excitement. I thought I'd sleep like a rock last night, but storms blew through. I am massively sleep deprived!!! But that's OK. Once she is home, I can get some things done with her, and fly her around the home base area. Want to make sure there is no hiccup before getting too far from my mechanic, that has been great to walk me through what he is looking for and teaching me about this particular airplane from the maintenance and repair standpoint. (He has built 13 of these planes, so far!)

    So, here is my new toy (tool?), and she is nekkid too. I guess that day, she was doing the nekkid rain dance!

    Looks like it will move along at a pretty good clip! How much does it weigh and what's the powerblock FG?
    Jeff

    X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

  15. Top | #9
    RandyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Location
    Stoughton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,594
    Thanks
    1,047
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 673 Posts
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

    2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

    The more I learn, the less I know.

  16. Top | #10
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,562
    Thanks
    1,503
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    Needless to say, I am thrilled for you. Would like to see some more pics though...and is that an open cockpit? Your hair will be a mess!
    No, it has a canopy. In fact, in that photo, the canopy was flipped up, exposing the cockpit, as if for entry or exit.

    Quote Originally Posted by jefftaylor View Post
    Looks like it will move along at a pretty good clip! How much does it weigh and what's the powerblock FG?
    Mine has a 160HP Lycoming, carb'd engine. Should do 165 in cruise leaned back for economy. Here is the link to general info on the RV6.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van's_Aircraft_RV-6
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

    If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

    Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

  17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •