Interesting Letter I received today from USPS and Wall Street Journal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Interesting Letter I received today from USPS and Wall Street Journal

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,432 Posts

Lately, specifically the last 10 days or so, I have noticed that my Wall Street Journal (WSJ) newspaper was arriving a day later than it has in the last 30 years. In my area, because I am not in a major metropolitan area, the regional Wall Street journal is printed in either Indianapolis or the Chicago area (it has been both over the years) and then the USPS would deliver me Thursday's WSJ on early Thursday afternoon, again because I am on a "rural route". It was delivered to my P.O. Box at the local Post Office by 9am each day. It has been this way since the early 1980's since I originally subscribed.

But just yesterday, I received a letter, one from the USPS and another from the WSJ publisher, Dow Jones News Corp, explaining to me the following, which is word for word from their communications;

"Recent changes within operations at the U.S. Postal Service in Michigan have made it impossible to continue delivery of your Wall Street Journal on the day of publication. Delivery of your Journal will be one day after the publication date by the U.S. Postal service.

We know how much you value the timely delivery of the Journal and we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. To that end, we would like to remind you that you have unlimited access to the WSJ.com our tablet and mobile apps and WSJ+1 offering invitations to editorial events, access to top golf clubs, seasonal wine cases and more of the finer things in life."

Then there is a bunch of blah, blah, blah and in closing, they continue "We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and will continue to look for solutions to return your service to day of publication."

ironically, i recently noticed the U.S. Postal service delivering packages in our area on Sunday's. A neighbor received a cell phone last Sunday which they had ordered on Friday.

So, apparently postal delivery is one of the very few businesses in the U.S. or world, for that matter, which is getting LESS efficient with technology and who's basic service is declining despite the competitive demands. The USPS continues to offer the "if it fit it ships" deal for one fixed price, regardless of actual weight, as long as the items fit within their special boxes, which defies logic from a business perspective.

Friends of mine who are executives with both UPS and Fed Ex know PRECISELY what it costs to ship a certain weight and size package specific distances. As a matter of fact, they focus on weight and size along with delivery mileage as the MOST SIGNIFICANT components in determining operating costs in the freight business. To specifically illustrate my point, last summer when I was in Montana and needed to ship something back to Michigan, I contacted UPS and their cost was $33.00 and Fed Ex was $34.10 for the same while the USPS would ship the same for $12, as long as I could get it in their "if it fits it ships" package.

The estimated delivery dates were the same for all three, but in reality, the USPS delivered a day later than quoted. Since the USPS operates with taxpayer financial support, why would they intentionally ship items which the others will charge either $33 or $34 while the USPS is doing the same for $12? Why wouldn't they charge $28 or $30, while still offering a better deal than their competitors, but not intentionally losing money, which I am sure they do when charging only $12 for services their competitors receive nearly 3x as much revenue for delivering the same weight and size the same distance?

Apparently, despite the improvements in technology and logistics, the actual service provided by the USPS is declining and they are intentionally giving away their package delivery services, when they could be collecting significantly more revenue for the same service. Now before anyone chastises me for continuing to kill trees to read my WSJ and reminds me I should be reading it online, just realize that I PREFER the paper edition and the paper format and I pay substantially more for the privilege of receiving the actual newspaper, which until now, came on it's date of publish. The same is happening with my Investors Business Daily (IBD) paper.

I asked my neighbor how much it cost her to have the phone delivered on Sunday, verses delivery during a normal business day. She showed me the invoice and she was charged $12 for the Sunday delivery, which ironically is less than the same package delivery rate from others (UPS, Fed EX) for their normal daily delivery of the same based upon the packages origin and size.

It is maddening to me that the USPS would intentionally lose money, then complain to Congress and seek taxpayer funds to cover shortages when they could probably triple their package delivery revenue and STILL be very competitive with their peers. To me, it is just one more example of how inefficient government affiliated operations remain and how out of touch with their marketplace the USPS really is. Frankly, if they raised postage to $1 per stamp, I wouldn't care one bit and it would likely reduce the volume of junk mail which I get, which would be great as well.

It is just interesting to me that at a time when Amazon is developing SAME DAY delivery in many markets, the USPS reduced their service. Oh well............

Thanks for allowing me to share my frustration. Now I am going to read YESTERDAYS WSJ, which just arrived.....
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, Levi and 6 others like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Jep (05-28-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    The estimated delivery dates were the same for all three, but in reality, the USPS delivered a day later than quoted. Since the USPS operates with taxpayer financial support, why would they intentionally ship items which the others will charge either $33 or $34 while the USPS is doing the same for $12? Why wouldn't they charge $28 or $30, while still offering a better deal than their competitors, but not intentionally losing money, which I am sure they do when charging only $12 for services their competitors receive nearly 3x as much revenue for delivering the same weight and size the same distance?
    The key word you're ignoring there is "estimated". UPS and FEDEX will give you 2-day guaranteed delivery. USPS will give you "1-3 business days estimated delivery".

Friends of mine who are executives with both UPS and Fed Ex know PRECISELY what it costs to ship a certain weight and size package specific distances. As a matter of fact, they focus on weight and size along with delivery mileage as the MOST SIGNIFICANT components in determining operating costs in the freight business.
    And? What is the cost to ship a 60# package from Fresno, CA to Cleveland, OH? And what is the cost when you have TWO packages with the exact same to/from addresses?

The point there being, you have a sunk cost of sending a delivery truck to pick up a package and a sunk cost to send a delivery truck to drop that package off. Either way, your going to have someone drive a truck X number of miles. Does the cost double if that truck carries 2 packages instead of one? The obvious answer is "No". And that's exactly what the USPS is counting on.

All of the USPS package delivery are "best effort" services. If there is an open spot on a plane or truck heading in the right direction, your package gets thrown on. If there isn't, your package waits. USPS is already driving their delivery trucks to pretty much every address every single day. There is little, if any, added cost for them to deliver packages when they are already delivering 1st and 3rd Class mail to the same addresses.

So when you order something and have it shipped UPS or FEDEX, they actually have to route a truck specifically to your address. They incur a cost to do that. USPS is driving by your address anyway. They have no (or very little) added cost.

USPS's charges are much lower because they have to give you a reason to accept that your package might maybe be there within the week they estimated it would be there vs. UPS or FEDEX who actually deliver on the day they said they would.

(And I just went through this nonsense. I placed an order through Amazon Prime last Friday. Amazon Prime automatically gives you 2-day delivery so the package was supposed to be delivered Sunday. It wasn't. Instead, it was picked up by UPS in Trenton, NJ on Friday and dropped at the local USPS distribution center on Sunday. In turn, USPS finally delivered it late yesterday afternoon. My "2-Day guaranteed delivery" via UPS ended up taking 5 days. But when I go log into my Amazon account, I can very clearly see that UPS told Amazon that they delivered it on Sunday.)
    farmgirl19, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    The key word you're ignoring there is "estimated". UPS and FEDEX will give you 2-day guaranteed delivery. USPS will give you "1-3 business days estimated delivery".

And? What is the cost to ship a 60# package from Fresno, CA to Cleveland, OH? And what is the cost when you have TWO packages with the exact same to/from addresses?

The point there being, you have a sunk cost of sending a delivery truck to pick up a package and a sunk cost to send a delivery truck to drop that package off. Either way, your going to have someone drive a truck X number of miles. Does the cost double if that truck carries 2 packages instead of one? The obvious answer is "No". And that's exactly what the USPS is counting on.

All of the USPS package delivery are "best effort" services. If there is an open spot on a plane or truck heading in the right direction, your package gets thrown on. If there isn't, your package waits. USPS is already driving their delivery trucks to pretty much every address every single day. There is little, if any, added cost for them to deliver packages when they are already delivering 1st and 3rd Class mail to the same addresses.

So when you order something and have it shipped UPS or FEDEX, they actually have to route a truck specifically to your address. They incur a cost to do that. USPS is driving by your address anyway. They have no (or very little) added cost.

USPS's charges are much lower because they have to give you a reason to accept that your package might maybe be there within the week they estimated it would be there vs. UPS or FEDEX who actually deliver on the day they said they would.

(And I just went through this nonsense. I placed an order through Amazon Prime last Friday. Amazon Prime automatically gives you 2-day delivery so the package was supposed to be delivered Sunday. It wasn't. Instead, it was picked up by UPS in Trenton, NJ on Friday and dropped at the local USPS distribution center on Sunday. In turn, USPS finally delivered it late yesterday afternoon. My "2-Day guaranteed delivery" via UPS ended up taking 5 days. But when I go log into my Amazon account, I can very clearly see that UPS told Amazon that they delivered it on Sunday.)
    So let me see if I understand the USPS "pricing logic"..

It doesn't matter how much something weighs or it's physical size Since they already are losing money each and everyday providing a service, which in my case has DECLINED in quality as compared to the last 3 decades, you might as well do it on the cheap because we are already driving by. We won't bother to try and compete on price, we will just slash the prices on service which has no guarantees and if it works out for us, you will get your delivery and it not, oh well, maybe tomorrow......

Sounds like the Government to me.

Regarding your comments about your Amazon Prime delivery, How does UPS deliver on a Sunday to a residential address when they have no Sunday residential delivery (other than for the highest level of services they offer, such as their same day delivery in very limited circumstances, if you are willing to pay the cost)? The terms of service in the Amazon Plus state the following

""If available, Saturday or Sunday delivery will be specified on the product page and/or during checkout. Otherwise, our shipping methods apply to business days only, not weekends or holidays."" Here is the link to where this came from

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201118070

If your shipment qualified for a true Sunday delivery, then it would have to be the USPS who would deliver it. The mere fact that it took them until Wednesday to get it to you when they got it on Sunday seems like the source of delay to me.

Somewhere in your explanation and defense of the USPS I missed the reason why what they could achieve for 30 years is now impossible. Frankly, such behavior from the USPS doesn't surprise me, just disappoints. I expect them to be gone within my lifetime as they accrue unsustainable employee pension liabilities and technology marches ahead.

Onward and upward.......
    BigJim55 and tj1 like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    So let me see if I understand the USPS "pricing logic"..

It doesn't matter how much something weighs or it's physical size Since they already are losing money each and everyday providing a service, which in my case has DECLINED in quality as compared to the last 3 decades, you might as well do it on the cheap because we are already driving by. We won't bother to try and compete on price, we will just slash the prices on service which has no guarantees and if it works out for us, you will get your delivery and it not, oh well, maybe tomorrow......
    Apparently you have a hard time understanding your own complaint. The USPS "If it fits it ships" boxes have a defined size and there is a weight limit on them. So your claim that weight and size are irrelevant are plainly false.

Regarding your comments about your Amazon Prime delivery, How does UPS deliver on a Sunday to a residential address when they have no Sunday residential delivery (other than for the highest level of services they offer, such as their same day delivery in very limited circumstances, if you are willing to pay the cost)? The terms of service in the Amazon Plus state the following

""If available, Saturday or Sunday delivery will be specified on the product page and/or during checkout. Otherwise, our shipping methods apply to business days only, not weekends or holidays."" Here is the link to where this came from

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201118070
    And? When I checked out it was specified that it would be delivered on Sunday. What of it? And not only that, but Sunday evening UPS updated their WWW tracking site to show that the package had been delivered to my home address. It hadn't been. It was delivered to the USPS distribution center.

Somewhere in your explanation and defense of the USPS I missed the reason why what they could achieve for 30 years is now impossible. Frankly, such behavior from the USPS doesn't surprise me, just disappoints. I expect them to be gone within my lifetime as they accrue unsustainable employee pension liabilities and technology marches ahead.
    My "defense" of USPS if far from that. I'd be the last person on earth to defend them. But that doesn't make YOUR complaints valid either. You have yet to show that the reason your paper now gets delivered a day later is due to the USPS. In fact, the WSJ vs. USPS has been an on-going issue for years now.

Dead Tree Edition: How the Postal Service Subsidizes The Wall Street Journal -- and Why It Should Stop

Dead Tree Edition: An End to the Postal Service's Wall Street Journal Subsidy?

It seems that Postal service that you are complaining about has been bending over backwards to keep your subscription price to your WSJ as low as possible at the expense of everyone else.
    BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 12:05 AM
    Thanks
    I believe the USPS is losing money because of the way they are forced to fund employees pension program (through a law congress passed), not because of the their service.
    farmgirl19, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    JD 1023E
    KK XB Tiller, XB subsoiler

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kabic View Post
    I believe the USPS is losing money because of the way they are forced to fund employees pension program (through a law congress passed), not because of the their service.
    This is the truth of that matter.
    farmgirl19, BigJim55 and flyweight like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks

USPS if self supporting for the most part.

The USPS has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters.[4] Since the 2006 all-time peak mail volume,[5] after which Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act,[6] (which mandated $5.5 billion per year to be paid into an account to fully prefund employee retirement health benefits, a requirement exceeding that of other government and private organizations [7]), revenue dropped sharply due to recession-influenced[8] declining mail volume,[9] prompting the postal service to look to other sources of revenue while cutting costs to reduce its budget deficit.[10] The USPS lost US$5.5 billion in fiscal 2014, and its revenue was US$67.8 billion.[11]
    According to Wikipedia.

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by felixm22; 05-28-2015 at 06:05 PM.
    Bubber, farmgirl19 and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    I think it'd be worth stepping down from the soapbox and taking a look at the situation behind the scenes before you go off like this.

ironically, i recently noticed the U.S. Postal service delivering packages in our area on Sunday's. A neighbor received a cell phone last Sunday which they had ordered on Friday.
    This is due to Amazon. Amazon is the only customer for whom the USPS operates on Sundays (at least in Ohio). It's not the normal staff and doesn't always come out of the normal physical sorting locations. It's almost like Amazon has rented the USPS logo and is doing the delivery themselves. If you wanted your own package delivered on Sunday, too bad, they won't do it.

So, apparently postal delivery is one of the very few businesses in the U.S. or world, for that matter, which is getting LESS efficient with technology and who's basic service is declining despite the competitive demands.
    I don't think it's actually getting any worse based on my own experience but the overall difficulties are because the USPS is being used as a political football by Congress. Congress is refusing to let the USPS be run as a not-for-profit public service (like, say, the military) and refusing to let the USPS be run as a normal for-profit business. Just like everything else lately, if there's a problem with it, it's Congress's fault.

The USPS continues to offer the "if it fit it ships" deal for one fixed price, regardless of actual weight, as long as the items fit within their special boxes, which defies logic from a business perspective.
    The flat rate boxes make a HUGE amount of business sense to both the USPS and to the people using the service. I ship things for a living. I've shipped things for a living on and off since the end of the 90s. If you live this stuff, you get a good feel for what's going on. Basically, the Flat Rate Boxes (FRBs) are the same kind of math that makes extended warranties work. If you look at the price of an FRB and then calculate sending the same volume and weight of package by normal Priority Mail, you'll find that the FRB is more expensive until you cross 3/4 of the continent. In other words, from here in Ohio, I'm losing money (meaning the USPS is making extra) if I use a FRB to ship anywhere on this side of the Rockies. OTOH, if I ship to western Oregon, using a FRB is cheaper. What the USPS has obviously done is to do some statistical analysis of payloads and destinations and then price the FRBs well above the average postage cost. Unlike you, I am absolutely sure the USPS knows to the fraction of a cent what it costs to ship something through their network. As always, the odds are in the house's favor. So, as a business owner, what do I gain from the FRBs? Consistency. I know EXACTLY what it'll cost to send each item I stock anywhere within the US. Customer lives in Maine? Customer lives in Arkansas? Doesn't matter, I know to the penny what it's going to cost me without having to go mess around weighing the actual package, getting a shipping quote, calling the customer back with the shipping quote, getting them to approve it, entering the quote in the computer so they can pay the website, etc. Because I always know the cost to ship, I can build that into the price of my goods and then offer "free" shipping to the customer. Now, if I'm having a slow day when the package needs to go out, sure, I poke at the shipping software and ask it if it'll be cheaper if I send it by straight postage. Most of the time, I need to save the time more than I need to save a buck or two on shipping.

Friends of mine who are executives with both UPS and Fed Ex know PRECISELY what it costs to ship a certain weight and size package specific distances. As a matter of fact, they focus on weight and size along with delivery mileage as the MOST SIGNIFICANT components in determining operating costs in the freight business. To specifically illustrate my point, last summer when I was in Montana and needed to ship something back to Michigan, I contacted UPS and their cost was $33.00 and Fed Ex was $34.10 for the same while the USPS would ship the same for $12, as long as I could get it in their "if it fits it ships" package.
    Why do you think that means USPS doesn't know what it costs to move a package vs UPS/FedEx's costs being higher or profit margins being larger?

The estimated delivery dates were the same for all three, but in reality, the USPS delivered a day later than quoted.
    Regardless of quotes, USPS is consistently 1 day faster for delivery this side of the Rockies and 3 days faster to the west coast states than either FedEx or UPS when comparing their basic services. Now, if I need something in Cali next day before 10am, you damn betcha I'm using UPS not USPS. But for the 2-3 day timeframe, USPS is more reliable and cheaper.

Why wouldn't they charge $28 or $30, while still offering a better deal than their competitors, but not intentionally losing money, which I am sure they do when charging only $12 for services their competitors receive nearly 3x as much revenue for delivering the same weight and size the same distance?
    If the post office is legally obligated to be a not-for-profit enterprise, why would the pad the price just to rip peple off more?
    coaltrain and flyweight like this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 1,103 Posts
    AH, the post office is no different than any other government owned co. the state has tared and chipped our small rural roads this past week. now this was needed, since their have been sinking and raising cracks going on several years. but what I don't understand is why wasn't all the ditches cut and colverts cleaned out before hand. also the edges of black top was starting to break away and crumple at the same time. 10 years ago they did the same thing and then later in the summer came along and cleaned the ditches and drug dirt out on top of the new tar and chip and mudded up the road and also tore loose the patching that was applied to the bad edges. it's just chasing one bad idea to the next. big jimsorry coaltrain, I know u said u worked for the state, but as a truck driver and safety trainer.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kabic View Post
    thats not the only reason, look at some of the benefits they get. if you have a doc. or dentist etc appointment on mon, tues, thur or fri. you get the entire day off. now I know why I can't get appointments, all the postal employees are using up the slots.
    2025r fel snowblower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast